Rulers

Hey, has anyone ever used the Off the Edge rulers?? I am using the cross hatch ruler on a quilt and I am using a burgandy colored thread...I don't know if I am just getting old and my eye sight is fading...or what...but the ruler is so dark I can't see my previous stitching line. I put blue painters tape to mark the line I wanted to use on the ruler...but I'm having a dickens of a time seeing the stitching line...anyone else have this problem or is it just me?? Their rulers are pink and I'm thinking they are just a touch too dark.

Hi Mary Beth--

By any chance do you have a black light for your machine? I think that will help with those pink and neon-yellow rulers. The light makes both the ruler and the thread glow.

If you can't find a black light tube to fit your machine, get an inexpensive lamp set-up to use as a side-light. These are available at novelty shops and I saw single bulbs at Home Depot if you have something to screw it into--a small decorative bedroom lamp, etc. Good luck.

Linda R

MB,

I know what you mean about the bulb. I have had such a hard time that I actually broke the lamp. It's the awkward angle that you have to twist the bulb. Myrna is right, though, put you hands on each end and sort of roll the bulb.

And be sure and tell us how you make out with the rulers.

Only us old bags are supposed to have trouble seeing. :P

Hey listen...you aren't in the "Old Bag" catagory!!

I have tried and tried standing in front of my machine and putting my fingers on the little silver ends (because there are little grooves) and twisting, but it didn't work...I tried twisting away from me....I tried twisting toward me...I tried getting behind my machine - that didn't work...If I can't get it out...I have a black light bulb for sale :P Oh, and the quilt I was working on with the pink ruler is finished...it strained my eye balls....but it is finishined.

I'll keep trying.

Oh Cheryl, I have the Key too, and I like it...I am trying to use this cross hatch ruler and it has a 45 degree angle line, but the ruler is so dark pink that I can't see my previous line to reference...It is frustrating. I use their SID ruler - don't know what it is called but its about 8 or 9" long...I use it a lot - no problem....Maybe it is the color of the fabric combined with the color of the ruler - beats me...but I had a heck of a time.

Still can't get that blasted light bulb out!

I have a couple of Off the Edge rulers and I like the pink color. Why? Because I can find them in my messy workshop! I didn't have any problem seeing the lines with them. Maybe it was the color of the fabric combined with the color of the ruler.

I like using the blacklight, but gave up on it. I had such a difficult time getting the regular lightbulb out and putting the blacklight in that I managed to break the fixture that holds it in. On a Liberty the whole handle assembly has to be replaced to fix the light fixture. When APQS sent me a new one I still had a hard time getting the regular light out. Then the blacklight wouldn't stay in the new fixture. I wish the light fixture on the Liberty was separate from the handles like it is on the Millenium. However, it is a fairly minor complaint for such a great machine. I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that has problems with it. I just figured I was inept!

Phyllis

I have a clear Larry Linder that I often use for SID. I think there will always be times when you can't see the lines w/the rulers. I got the clear because he said it was the easiest to use (pink/green). When the quilt is a light color, it is difficult to see the gray line. Don't know if the other colors would have been a better idea or not.

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions...Finally got the light bulb out. Every time I walked by my Mille I would stop and just try, and then one time, ta-da...it turned. Maybe I should just take it out and put it back once a week or so, so I can replace it easily.

I do like the pink and the green colored ruler to be able to see them better in my heaps of stuff :D I bought a few clear templates at MQS and I am afraid to lay them down for fear of never seeing them again :P

By the way...any of you ruler/template makers out there...if you are listening...drilling a hole in the template is a great idea. I like to hang mine on my peg board and some of them don't have holes. Right now I am sticking them in a baggie and haning them.

Oh, Jebger, if DH helps and can't get it, he says bad things about "Lucy" and I don't like for her to hear things like that ;) I ususally only ask him to help when I absolutely can't get what I am doing at all!! :)

Archived