Turning Twenty Quilts, question

My guess it's twenty blocks made from 20 FQs and the blocks are all turned different ways in the top to make the pattern (seam lines) not butt together. It's perfect for the new learning quilter so they don't have to worry so much with matching seam lines.

Joann, I've also seen the "Sweet Sixteen" and the "Turning Twelve" quilt tops. Sweet Sixteen is lap quilt size and Turning Twelve is baby quilt size.

Sheryl, That is a pretty quilt. I bought 4 of those Meadowlyon pantos at MQS but have not had a quilt on which to use it yet. Can't wait.

Besides Turning20's being easy to piece, it gives the beginning piecer a big bite of fabric; it's great for big prints, too. I made a black/white/red one for my monster-in-law (MIL). She loved it.

Stensource templates has templates especially for Turning 20s. Here's the link (Click here)

In addition...there are three Turning Twenty Books out there, that I know of. There's the original, Turning Twenty, Turning Twenty Again and Turning Twenty Around the Block. I have the first and third, but only made the first one so far. I used Thimbleberries fabric, front and back and also their matching thread. I used QD wool batting. I finished it in the spring, so haven't put it on the twin bed yet...will wait till fall. I want to be the first one to test it out since it is on the guest bed (and it's my bed when hubby is snoring:) It was very quick to piece and I really like the way it looks and feels.

Gorgeous quilts, Mary Beth and Sheryl...

For our annual United Way Day of Quilting, I cut up a bunch of donated scrap fabric to fit the Turning 20 blocks and we (coworkers who are not quilters) all stitched the blocks together and made bunches of quilts for local charity. Quick, easy and we had completed quilts at the end of the day!!! :) :) :) It was so nice to have finished products to show our work for the day.

Hello,

Am new here, spend most of my time just reading and familiarizing myself with all the forums and great suggestions. I saw the panto design for the darling doe and buck on the lovely quilt, so of course that brought me upright and out from the shadow to ask the question, where would I be able purchase one for myself.

Lenni will be arriving on my doorstep in Sept. so whilst I await the big day, I have been preparing the 'nursery' by searching for the 'out of the ordinary' panto's to add to a small but growing collection.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I finished the customer's quilt earlier this afternoon but have been playing around in my EQ program with the Turning Twenty block :) I think the sky's the limit with what one can quilt on these quilts. Thanks Linda for posting the link for the stencils that go on these quilts (I never knew there were stencils made just for this type of quilt pattern..that's pretty cool!).

So here's the first pic of the quilt that started this thread, the next one will be of the close up of the panto that the customer wanted which was Linda Taylor's Peacock Meandering. I think the CL swirls template and the CL square dancing template would also look good on these quilts.

Thanks everyone...such a wealth of info at just a click of the keyboard! :D

Joann

post--13461898306771_thumb.jpg

Joann - very nice quilt and quilting. I love the colors. What thread did you use? It just seems to melt into the quilt like butta.;)

midenitesun - congrats on your new Lenni. You might want to verify what the table and throat dimensions are on Lenni. Some pantos are pretty tall. I remember asking that question when I was test-driving Lenni at MQS. I seem to remember hearing that the table would hold a 13" panto but I'm not certain. Better safe than sorry; there's usually no returns/refunds on pantos.

Anybody out there know for sure??

Have made several of these quilts. One for the Wounded Warrior Center in Oceanside, CA. Good cause. It is expanding by the way, which is not exactly good news when you think why it has to expand. -- Anyhow this quilt looks good in almost any fabric choice. When you use the twelve block one you need to cut extra strips for the side border. Four for each side and three each for top and bottom. Good one for using up the stash stuff so you can buy more to replace it.

Your Turning 20 quilts are so inspiring. I can't wait to get my DD started on one. Guess I'll have to though, as she's still in Baja. But home tonight! Maybe she'll have a minute in between arts camp and our next jaunt to California in Aug. Enough time for me to explore this pattern, yippee!

Yeah, it looks like you just sew a small rectangle to the end of a large one over and over and then alternate which way they are facing (turning), with a sashing rectangle in between, then borders if you like. Hmm...... could make up my own, I guess.....

Archived