Husband for Hire

BethDurand

I have to brag about my wonderful husband. I'm at work today, knowing that I have to come home and re-time my girl. Fretting about it, but also looking forward to getting my hands dirty and diving in. When I get home I find that not only has he re-timed her, and said that it was pretty easy (he's repaired electron microscopes in the past), but he's also washed both dogs, mowed and weeded the back lawn. He said that he had picked up the manual so he'd know how to help me when I got home, and got so interested in it, that he just went down and fixed her for me! She's back to purring like a kitten, the dogs smell lovely again, and he says that he'd be willing to help you out as well.

Yeah for Randall!

Beth

And you live where again??????????? I get him first...:P

I have a ton of "Honey Do" chores that just never seem to get done. My hubby is on the road so much these days that we are even lucky to see him and I just can't lift things like use to.

I am with you Bonnie. It would be so great to have someone in this area to call to fix things like that. My friend can usually figure anything out and she and her husband have done the retiming thing, but you can impose only so much. Some day I would like to go take the maintenance class. Would want to take my sixteen year old grandson who likes to fix things. Then I would be set. I could shop and he could find out how to keep my Big Girl feeling good.

Good husbands are definitely a blessing.

And I have to brag on mine a bit. He surprised me yesterday by offering to make a substantial payment on my machine. When I said how wonderful and supportive he is, he replied that I support him all the time and that is what a good realationship is - supporting each other - and so he wanted to do this for me. Isn't he great?

Rick and Randall deserve big hugs and kudos!!

Hi all,

Aren't wonderful husbands the best? Of course he's cute, not only that, he's gorgeous! Thoughtful, helpful, he can do anything I set my mind to. He makes a mean enchilada, cooks his own breakfast, and doesn't mind when we have "Fend for yourself" for dinners. I waited a long time for Mr. Wonderful, and I have him in spades!

Beth

To Cute Beth......I didn't wait for mine...got mine right out of high school, going on 34 years, but I do have to say it wasn't until I got my longarm that he learned how to use a can opener, and when I had my studio he would call me and ask if he had to run over something on the way home or use his can opener.;)

Mine too is a keeper, wouldn't trade him for anything....

My DH - Kelley is actually helping me quilt while I'm at work.

Move over Clint Eastwood!! But ssshhh...don't tell anyone he's helping me especially his brothers!!

Here are samples of a daisy and pinwheel motifs and a daisy border...his, I mean my customer, loved it....

http://www.yeoldeforest.com/Kelley_Quilts_1.html

The pictures are a bit wonky...but you can still see his handy work.

Beth,

I would want to be first in line, after all I haven't had a husband for over 40 years, so you can imagine my list...can't believe all you woman with husbands wanting to borrow him, guess that's why I haven't had one for so long..mine didn't know which end of a screwdriver to hold. When I have to re time my machine that's when I think it might be nice to have a husband....;)

Beth,

Happy to hear you have the best DH in the west!!

But I have to say...my DH is the best in the Mid-West....He cooks, cleans (if he needs to), does the laundry, does all the lawn work, planted and weeds the entire garden - and it's big!, will be canning this weekend - salsa, his favorite, and he works out at the gym 3 days a week - so he is buff!! Whew...I think I need a cold shower!!;):D

I sent a picture of him working in the garden to my DMIL and told I am my own Desperate Housewife - complete with gardener!! :D

You guys all make me laugh, sooooo good first thing in the morning. I was reading all the posts to my husband. Yup, he was great at putting together my machine, thought he was putting together a swather when it came to the rollers (also said he couldn't believe how well machined they were, not like the jobber parts he used to use!) but don't expect him to make any food or do any cleaning. After 31 years I still haven't trained him very good have I? But he'll help if I remind him, especially if we have company so that's good. And when it comes to my machine, well it was really tight at the front of the rollers awhile back and in the middle and back it moved really smoothly and I couldn't figure that out, so he comes and looks and then goes and bring two wrenches. So there I am with my book open reading directions and telling him that what he's doing is not how the book says to adjust the cams. He just told me to move the head of the machine while he adjusted and leave the book alone. You know what, my machine moves soooooo smoothly, perfect in fact, not too tight, not too loose! He thought he was adjusting a swather again! So I can't loose him because I have no idea what he even did but oh my, it was horrible before, I found myself not wanting to quilt anything at the front of the rollers, I couldn't even make anything rounded, just got jerky square corners. Yup, husbands are wonderful but sometimes I could just give him away I get so anoyed with him!

Thanks for the laughs this morning girls!

Cher

I hear you all. Cher, you're right about wanting to give them away at times. I finally got time all week (with running kids everywhere) to finally get some sewing/quilting done and I have to stop to run him to the fields. Totally lost my concentration and here I sit playing on the computer. He says he will fend for himself when the kids go back to school, we will have to see about that. And of course he can clean the house alot better then me. I prefer the lived in look and he wants the white glove treatment. I win unless he does it himself.

But on the sweet side, he did sell his four wheeler so that I would have 6 months of payments for my machine, even when he thought I should have waited to buy my LA. He's frustrating to figure out most days. But I love him anyways. Going on 14 years. He was in high school when we met and I was in college.

Thanks, ladies (and gentlemen), for all the laughs I get from reading this sight. You are the best.

Angela

Beth, Could use your DH here. My Morefun(Marvin) is so busy with the business that nothing gets done around here. Not that he couldn't, just other priorities come first. My sweet MsLizzie needs to have her grease repacked, the bathroom needs to have new door knobs put on and the list goes on. The good part about him being busy is he is dropping a few pounds, trying too, and looking really nice, thats how he got his nickname.;)

What a joy to have a competent partner in life! My DH is that way also.

Beth - your hubby repairs electron microscopes? I was an electron microscopist for many years - both tranmission and scanning, both in a pathology lab, and in the semiconductor world.

Too cool to hear of a similar background here in the quilting world. I find this strangely exciting, because most people I talk to have no clue what an electron microscope is!

Mary

Hi Mary,

He worked for Intel for many years, but has become so burned out on the high tech world. He's currently underemployed, meaning he could be doing something a lot more intellectually stimulating, but he's working, even if he doesn't like his job. Just doesn't know what he wants to be when he grows up. Maybe he should work for APQS as a repairman!

Beth

wow, aren't we all a blessed bunch of ladies, even on days when we might kind of think about trading them in or at least getting them their own apartment for a rest and relaxtion vacation (ours) they are still the best husbands around. My Miguel is as sweet as he is wide and that is pretty darn sweet. having a bunch of quilting buddies over this week and he worked this weekend getting the pond up so we could have a nice atmosphere to talk quilting in. and this at the time when most everyone else is talking about getting there ponds ready for fall. had a heck of a time finding pond plants, people looked at us like we were crazy, or at least a little bit off.

Originally posted by BethDurand

Thoughtful, helpful, he can do anything I set my mind to.

Beth

:D I really like the sound of that!! :D I am waiting for my man

to get back from Sturgis. Can't wait until he rolls in on his

bike - - it has been a VERY long week!!!!!

School starts when?!?!:mad::mad: Not soon enough!

Mama needs a vacation!! Where is that Elm Creek quilt retreat?

Wasn't Mary Beth going to build someplace for us!??!

Mary Beth, There's an old two story school building near me that is for sale and if I had a million dollars petty cash I would make it into an Elm Creek retreat. It has the charm and nestled on the outskirts of a quaint little town. Plenty big enough for classes and staying all night. Not spooky looking like some old schools. Anyone interested?

Archived