Photo of commission

This is one that a dad asked me to make for his 19 year old daughter for a surprise Christmas gift. She is studying Marine Biology and is a scuba dive instructor, so many of the fabrics resemble water, bubbles, sand, etc. He wants it to be something she can pass down as an hierloom.

If it were your job, how would you quilt it? Please realize that I am new to this, but enjoy freehand work, and I don't own any of the Circle Lord, or Hartley gizmos. I do have a base extender, and straight rulers, and some different size circle plexiglas patterns. I am still very rustic with feathers. I really want to do a nice job on this.

It is queen size, with 11.5" blocks, and 14" borders.

Thanks for any input you can give me on quilting designs.

post--13461898395655_thumb.jpg

Karol, this is beautiful. So much movement in this quilt. Are you comfortable with pantographs? I would suggest an all over edge to edge panto. However, with those borders, you can probably do something spectacular such as feathers and then meandering throughout the blocks. These are simple suggestions and I'm not near as experienced or talented as a lot of the quilters at this site and you will probably get some better ideas, but those are the things that come to mind right now. Good luck!

Gable

Karol--

That is one gorgeous top! Beautiful piecing!

Just a suggestion for the quilting--- because of the "sea theme" maybe include a water meander. Also, there must be a seashell panto out there that could be done on those nice wide borders. When you do a simple/open panto you can always add extra stitching to really take it up to custom level. Maybe add a pebbles texture or an echo of the shells.

Do you do a lot of commissions? You have done a great job on this one!

Linda Rech

Following that sea theme, as Linda said, there several seahell pantos. The ones I have used would alos work as a border....of coourse, there isn't much that wouldn't work on those BIG borders.

I quilted a batik and white quilt for another marine biologist using Deb Geissler's Seascape; this one is an intermediate panto with a 12" and a 13 panto; there's even a seahorse.

seahorse.jpg

And there is one called Sea Fantasy 8.5" that is so cool; this is a Kimberly Darwin panto. it has mermaid that I worked into another quilt.

mermaid.jpg

I did a quilt with Michelle Wyman's Simply Seashells for Heart & Soul Quilts. 13 inch and big, open not busy.

Here are couple photos.

side-2.jpg

And here is a close-up so you get an idea of the scale.

ss-close-1.jpg

I hope that you post a photo when you get this one done. It is going to look great.

Linda, Ooooooh! I love the Seascape and the Simply Seashells designs! This is very cool! Which one to decide is a toughy!

PS: Karol, I love your Kaleidoscope quilt top. It is absolutely beautiful. You can really go to town with those big wide borders.

A kaleidoscope quilt has been on my "must do" list for a long time.

I can't wait to see what you decide to do with the quilting. I am sure your customer will LOVE it and it will surely be a treasure for generations to come. You'll have to make a really nice quilt label that reflects marine animals theme with a special message from Dad in it. :)

Linda,

This is my first commissioned quilt. It took me 16 hours to do the piecing from start to finish. I have made a bajillion quilts, but never timed myself before. I made a smaller Kaleidoscope quilt for a class I taught, and loved the design, so I talked the dad into it. I also chose it because it has few pieces.

Myrna, what would you do with this one? I saw somewhere that you are doing some classes in Orlando, and one of them is about deciding what kind of quilting suits your top. Could you give us the info on class times, dates? I teach fulltime, but am thinking about joining you on Saturday.

I may just putz around and draw up my own panto, though I prefer to work from the front.

Thanks for all the input. It helps so much to get other people's viewpoints.

Karol,

If you're not comfortable with a panto, draw some seahorses, shells, boats, dolphins, etc. on freezer paper or even on cardboard. Cut out each motif on the lines. Then, if they're on freezer paper, iron them right to the top. they'll stay long enough to quilt around them. If you use cardboard you can use an air eraser marker to draw around them (like Myrna's cookie cutter technique). Then connect them with loops and swirls or waves. It will look fabulous and you can work from the front.

I did one for Norece this way using handprints drawn from a cookie cutter. I don't know if she still has it or not, but she might post a picture if she does.

Hi,

These quilts are gorgeous! I am pretty new to LA. But trying hard and practicing a lot.

Can anyone tell me where I can find these seascape and seashell pantos?

I love the shells, sand dollars, seahorse and fish. The whole theme is beautiful.

I have a quilt top I am working on for my sister. These pantos would be perfect!

Thanks, and I look forward to chatting with all of you.

Dustee

Archived