quilting ideas

Just wondering if any one can give me some advice as to what to quilt on this quilt. The angels are paper pieced, but the blue squares are blank. I was going to maybe outline the Angels by SID. But the rest has me drawing a blank. We had talked about doing a star and loop meander but I just don't think that will look good. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Angela

post--13461898462458_thumb.jpg

What about echoing around the angels. Then in the blue blocks, outline the yellow stars, then do a small kinda close meander, (not quite stippling) around inside the rest of the blue block area, which will make the yellow stars POP out! Then either crosshatch in the yellow block borders, or find a very small continuous line w/stars design if you dont like doing the crosshatching.

I like SheriB's idea of echoing around the paper-pieced blocks and the stars. The sashing looks pretty narrow, I think that I would do a simple alternating loop thingy being careful to leave the intersections with only a line. I think that I would turn the quilt to do the vertical sashings (and side borders) in a continuous line.

The border looks pretty narrow, too. I like the idea of the cross-hatching, it just is a lot of work and a lot of stops and starts. :(

Outside border: Maybe just put the cross-hatch in the corners and out in each direction about 6 inches and then just a simple feather for the rest.

I think that I would treat that innner border the same as the sashing. But I would SID the outside of the border for definition. The red one looks too small to do anything with except SID.

I sure you post photos of the completed quilt.

I like the idea of outlining the stars. I would take it a step further and put some kind of star in all of the cornerstones where 4 sashings come together.

On the outside border, I would do some freehand angel wings or some kind of freehand feather that would remind one of angel wings.

Debbi

Thanks ladies for the input. I really like your ideas. I will have to stare at it some more to make a final decision. Maybe if I load it something will speak to me more. I like the cross hatching idea. The hard part is that the borders are all so narrow. I like the stars idea also. Anyone else have an input? Should would be great to hear from you.

Angela

Angela,

Since this quilt has a lot of angles I would do something with a curve. Maybe a simple wave cable in the borders would give it a little movement and that should be quick. I like the star idea with the stippling in the star blocks and just echo the angels. In the very outside border I would do the stars that you learn to do in grade school. If you do the peaks (just like drawing a mountain or zigzag line) all the way accross the border then come back in the other direction to form the rest of the star. Really quick too. I'm sure my description of that is clear as mud. I don't remember what those 5 pointed stars are called but they are quick. Just draw one and you'll understand.

Heidi

How would you work with the black border blocks. Not sure how to incorporate that in. I can kind of see what to do on the gold but not the black. Need to get something going soon. I have been staring at it way too long. Also, what color thread would you use, since there is so much going on. Sorry I am still such a newbie.

Thanks

Angela

Really cute! :) I think I'd do something different in each one, kind of tie in what the angel is doing in each square somehow. Music staff with the singing angel, rays from one (or some), wind blowing around another (McTavish?), clouds around other(s)... you know.... something different, but not too difficult. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

Angela, what a beautiful job you did on this! Of course the customer liked it! All that close stippling must have taken HOURS. Well, at least I know it did on my DSM, but if you have a LA it was probably a breeze, wasn't it? Anyway, it would be hard work either way to do that close to the applique without "going inside the lines", so give yourself a pat on the back. Yay, you!

Angela, I really like what you did on this quilt and I agree, Of course the customer liked it. I like the way the angels stand out because of the stippling around them and the stars and loopy all over. How did you finish the borders? Would love to see a pic of those if you have one.

Patty Jo, I did the border the same as the sashing between the blocks, just stars and loops. Never knew that I could draw a star in so many different directions and angles. Thanks for the idea about outlining the stars on the blue fabric, she loved it.

Hope that next time she brings me a quilt that is not paper pieced. Just not one of my favorites. There were times when the fabric was so thick that I kept getting the needle stuck and had to manually move it. But never broke a needle, thank goodness.

Angela:cool:

Archived