Crosshatching question

I have an applique quilt I am working on right now with blocks on point that will have crosshatching behind the applique. The setting triangles around the outside have a feather motif with crosshatching. But, since everything is on point the crosshatching in the motif is horizontal and vertical lines. Would you crosshatch the applique blocks with diagonal lines or horizontal vertical lines?

Here's a picture of what I have so far. I'm thinking that diagonal lines would work best, but I'm wondering what others might think.

Thanks,

Debbi

post--13461898625092_thumb.jpg

Well, my initial thought would be to stick with the verticle and horizontal cross hatching as you have done in the setting triangles.

Have you tried posting a photo in MS Paint and doodling with cross hatching doing it both ways to see what looks best? That might help you with an overall view.

BTW, Debbi, honey, once again you make me drooooool over your beautiful quilting. :) Loving it!!!

Thanks all. Horizontal and vertical it is then.

This quilt is somewhat unique for an applique quilt in that it has no sashings between the blocks, there is a big empty block in the middle of the quilt, and all of the fabrics are pretty much the same tan/beige color.

The setting triangles are done with a stencil and I ended up with horizontal/vertical crosshatching when I turned it. Something that I didn't think about beforehand, however I really like this stencil in the setting triangles. I'm using the full stencil in the middle block.

I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Thanks again!!

Debbi

Hi Pat.

I picked up the stencil in a bargain bin at Hancock fabrics about a year ago. Paid $1 for it. Can't beat that!! I'm not wild about stencils, but this one is really pretty quilted and I'll probably use it more.

Anyway, the stencil is called Feather & Flower. The sticker on the stencil says it was made in 2000 by Barbara Chainey by StenSource Int'l, Inc. I don't know if the stencil is still around or not. I googled StenSource International and found their web site with quilting stencils. It is http://www.stensource.com/cat_result.php?ArgType=new&searchArg=Quilting%20Stencils

Debbi

Archived