lower bobbin problem

my bobbin case started making this lould clacking sound like it is loose.I can wiggle the housing some. Not front to back but side to side. I changed my needle and made sure t was up all the way and tight. It is not in backwards either. I cleaned out the area and found a piece of thread and got that out but it is still making the sound. I checked my bobbin case to make sure I had the thread going in the right direction. Can anybody tell me what might be wrong?. ANY help would be wonderful..

Many thanks, Nora

Washougal WA

Millennium

Hi Nora - a week or so ago, someone had posted about bobbin thread problems ( I know this isn\'t your problem) but someone suggested to totally re-thread the machine both top and bobbin. I was having some minor inconsistancies in my stitching at the time, so I decided to do just that and it took care of my problem (not at all related to the question that was posted). You might try this, maybe there is one small detail that you have overlooked that is causing the problem. I don\'t know it this will help, but it sure won\'t hurt. Also, you might check the spring in the bottom of the bobbin case and make sure that it is in correctly. Hope this may help.

• 2 months later...

Nora,

Did you ever get this issue resolved? I\'ve been having the same problem, but haven\'t thought much of it since it hasn\'t seemed to create any problems with the tension. There are occassions where the bobbin actually sounds likes it\'s still spinning after I stop the machine.

Would love to hear more about this.

Kathy,

Check the backlash spring inside your bobbin case and make sure the "fingers" are applying pressure to the bobbin itself. To do this, insert a bobbin into the case. Hold the case in one hand and "tap" the bobbin with the other. You should see a little bit of bounce in the bobbin case.

If you don\'t, it can mean that those fingers on the backlash spring have become compressed and aren\'t putting enough pressure on the bobbin to stop it from spinning once you hit the "off" button. If that\'s the case, pop the disc-like spring out of the bobbin case and gently bend the two prongs or fingers more. You can easily do this with your fingers. Re-insert the backlash spring into the case, making sure those two prongs are facing out toward the bobbin when you snap it back in.

If you have trouble getting it back in, use a small screwdriver to help you. Look at the outer edges of the spring--you\'ll see two extensions on the perimeter of the spring. These two extensions will snap into two slots on the bobbin case. One is readily visible; the other is somewhat hidden under the tension finger where the thread exits the case.

Also be sure to oil the hook area as needed to prevent rattling.

Lastly, the hook is not a "forever" piece. It eventually will wear out. If you begin having lots of trouble with the stitch consistency, hook rattle, etc., consider the age of your hook and/or the machine\'s amount of use. It might be time to replace the hook.

Hope this clears up your "rattle"!

• 2 months later...

I am quilting a t-shirt quilt with King Tut on top and So-Fine on bottom. I am experiencing a breakage in the bobbin thread at least once on each pass (I\'m doing the "Dizzy" panto by Jodie Beamish.) The tension is fine and I don\'t hear any unusual rattling (it ALWAYS has rattled....) so does anyone have any wisdom on this. I have been cleaning out the hook area every bobbin change with compressed air, also the needle is new and the machine is threaded properly.

Thanks!

Robin Kinley

Vista, CA

Originally posted by DawnCavanaugh

Lastly, the hook is not a "forever" piece. It eventually will wear out. If you begin having lots of trouble with the stitch consistency, hook rattle, etc., consider the age of your hook and/or the machine\'s amount of use. It might be time to replace the hook.

Hi Dawn,

I am having more inconsistancies than I would like even though my machine is not that old or had heavy use. I did get the cleaning rag jammed in the bobbin area and had a major nick in the bobbin area. Have smoothed it out to the best of my ability. Guess I should try a new hook then.

Rowena,

I\'m no expert, but that happened to me too. It caused my timing to go out just a little bit. Once that was fixed, it stitched perfectly. If you have the manual, I know timing is a last resort, but if you have tried everything else, then go through the steps in the manual. Don\'t really time it, just look at the eye of the needle to see if it is where it should be. Kind of go through the steps and see if that is the problem. If you don\'t have the new manual....which I don\'t, but I\'m gonna get one....then you should get one :)

Hi Mary Beth,

I did look at the timing (needle in the right spot) and all other adjustments after I had the jam and nick in the bobbin race. Went faithfully over the instructions in the manual. I\'ll have another look at that side of things. Thanks for the tip.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok kids, Here\'s the deal. Bobbin cases do go bad from heavy use or because their just old. Do you self a big favor to prevent a migrain or stroke. Buy a couple extra bobbin cases and backlash springs. If the current bobbin case starts making goofy noisie, then toss it and pop in a new one. No muss no fuss...........zeke

Archived