black stuff on rails

I usually apply the wax, let it set overnight and then polish it off in the morning. I do this about once a month. Perhaps the stuff you are using is trying to clean the rails? Sometimes paper towels are abrasive, try using an old t shirt, they are softer I think.

Hope this helps!

I use Renaissance paste wax and batting scraps and wax my rails every morning. (APQS will probably have a stroke!) But, I love that fresh-waxed glide!

And, yes, I get black stuff off every morning. Probably old wax but about once a week, I use the Meguiar's which I buy at Target.

Hi - there are several products that Meguiar's carries. My local store sells a canister of Cleaner Wax. Meguiar's website lists additional products: Gold Class Clear Coat Car Wax and Professional Paste Wax. I've got a call in to Connie Hurst to ask her which product APQS recommends. In the meantime, I will work on my next problem, which is lining up the leaders so the centers match.

Hi -

I wax my rails occasionally, but wipe them off every time I load or unload a quilt, so none of the black stuff gets on a customer's quilt.

However, I've accepted that the black stuff will be there, and wear an apron when I quilt. Just $5 carpenter's apron. When it gets gunky with black stuff, I just toss it in the wash.

It's worked so far, none of the black stuff on any customer's quilts. Someone told me once it was because I didn't wax my rails, but I do and I still get it.

Hope that helps

Deb

Millie

It isn't because you don't wax your rails. It's a product of the aluminum. Unless it is painted/sealed in some way, you will get black stuff.

Waxing the rails really does improve glide and slide; try it you might like it!

Kathy

QUILT, Ink

I agree with Kathy. One day I decided I was going to wipe and wax and scrub til there was no more black and it just didn't happen. If you've never waxed the rails, you really should try it and see how the machine glides.

I've been using the APQS table with either the Ult. I or Freedom for over 4 years I think and I've never gotten black on a quilt. The only time I've ever gotten black on anything is when I let something get between the wheel and the rail and it gets "run over".

I feel bad now that I've had my Discovery for three months and have never waxed its rails! I'm going to get myself some Meguires wax and do it first thing. And I'm ashamed to admit that all my straps that hold the side clamps all have black marks on them from running over them with the wheels! But at least I haven't gotten the black marks on any quilts!

Lynn

APQS Discovery

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I would jump in here. The reason we use the Liquid wax is because it has "pumas" in it. It is the same stuff that is in Lava soap, (mildly abbrassive) and deeper cleaning.

Be sure you keep the insides of the wheels clean with alcohol and a q-tip so you won't get a wax build up and to keep the black stuff out of them.

Teri, as far as lining up the leaders, I have to admit we are not sure. The zipper system is great, but we don't have the answer "YET"

I have already talked to you and I have a call into Sue Schmeiden to find out what she thinks. I will let you know!

Have a Great Day Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!

Connie

Apqs Service

Thanks everyone for your help. I have talked to Connie this morning, as she said, and we decided the Meguire's paste cleaner wax will be okay. I didn't look to see if the paste cleaner wax has pumice in it, but it might, as I think it is the same formula that APQS uses, just a paste in stead of a liquid. I will post after I use the wax today and let it dry overnight.

I moved my canvas for #2 roller yesterday, just slid it over a half inch or so. I haven't tried loading a quilt yet. I see that the canvas stretches when you sew a zipper on. All three of my canvas leaders are a little wavy, and I'm going to assume that the quilt will not stretch too much because of that.

Hi Connie

Thanks for jumping in and letting us know what APQS recomends. It seams there are as many choices in wax as there is thread these days!

I do use the cleaner wax about once a month, but then I follow it with the paste wax. My little brain thinks that I am cleaning and then sealing! :D

I use the McQuires also every month or so. I found that a bit of spray furniture wax like Pledge sprayed on a cotton cloth or batting and rubbed over the rails then dried has nearly eliminated the black stuff on the rails coming off on clothes. quilts, etc. It also keeps my machine dancing smoothly inbetween rub downs with wax.

Hi Teri,

You said: All three of my canvas leaders are a little wavy, and I'm going to assume that the quilt will not stretch too much because of that.

Before I applied my zippers, I pressed the selvedge over to form a 3/8" hem. The zippers were then sewn to the folded edge. This really reinforces the edge of the canvas and keeps it from stretching.

As for finding the centers of the canvas leaders, I just ignored them and made sure my ZIPPERS were centered.

When installing the zippers I did something else that really helped. I pinned the zippers to the edge of the take up canvas and then pinned another one to the backing roller. Before stitching them on, I zipped them together and put my base expander on the machine head. This gave me a nice flat surface and didn't require 4 hands!! to sew the zippers on. I then pinned the zipper on to the top roller and again zipped it to the take up canvas zipper and stitched it down. I was finished in about an hour.

Hope that helps.

Darlene Epp

mailto:depp@allstream.net

When I spent a day with Mike Moore at APQS about 2 1/2 years ago, he recommended Meguiars Paste Cleaner Wax. That's what I've been using ever since.

I now have 2 fairly new machines, and the rails have only been waxed a couple of times. I just tried to wipe some black "stuff" off and really had to work to get any showing on the Hobbs 80/20 scrap of batting I always use to apply the wax and then polish it off with.

Someone told me about a product that people in car shows use to coat the aluminum. (Where is there aluminum on a car?!) It apparently keeps all oxidation at bay. Of course I don't remember who told me, and they were going to get the brand name info for me but haven't yet. If I get that info I will be sure to post it here.

Darlene Epp

mailto:depp@allstream.net

Thanks for the reply, Darlene. It's good to know the exact name of the Meguire's product you use. That's what I got, in paste form and then Connie says they use the liquid at APQS! Oh well! I'm going to use what I've got. I put it on the rails tonight and got tons of black instantly. But I love the way the Meguire's feels! I'm definitely going to use it on my car! LOL!

The zipper idea you describe, using your extended base to hold the canvas while you stitch the zipper, makes so much more sense than the way I did it! I think after I get moved, I'll take the zippers off the canvas, turn under the edge and apply them the way you described. I'd better copy it and print it out and pin it to my leader so I can remember!

I'm going to get this machine purring yet!

Teri

Archived