My handy dandy pincushion holder for the van!

Judi

o.k. so this isn't really "cute" but since I just thought of it the

day before our road trip - it worked!! We took a long drive up to visit Great Grandma Tessie and see the fireworks on New Years Eve, which were awesome!! They put on a really great show, and they set them off right behind her house - nice to watch from her warm porch, anyways....

My husband drives and I need to have some hand sewing to do. Right now I am on a Christmas block of the month (which I should have been done with last month!) applique project. This held my pincushion, scissors, thread and finger/thimble thingy. I will have to make a better one, where things could stay in place better, but hey! It worked great as long as I took my stuff out of it before I slammed the door shut....

Oh the thinks we can think!!

post--13461898915979_thumb.jpg

kind of like a drink holder.... It stuck back down into the window gasket. I just cut off the end of a kleenex box.... would like a nice wood or fabric one

maybe..... need to work on the style and color a bit.... I think I will have my

daughter work on this idea and make it better for the inventors fair!!

Its a new van and I didn\'t want any velcro stuck to the dash, which is a bit

of a reach anyways.... any other ideas to add to this?

I have a pattern here for a bedside caddy that is made of fabric, designed to hold magazines, reading glass, remote control, etc. Maybe you could make something like that and hang it from the door handle; or use one of those little suction cup hooks to stick it to the window. I\'ll look for that pattern if you want.

Maybe make the box out of Timtex--you know--those fabric covered bowls and boxes that were so popular two years ago? The covered Timtex is stiff enough to last being stuck down the window gasket. It is kinda spendy, though. And you could insert a piece of poly batting on one side to use as a pin cushion. Great innovation!

Funny! I was holding my whole block up to the window - doing the "natural

light box" for a bit.... you should have seen some of the people look at me!

I am working on a basket of holly leaves and needed to trace the handle to

the front side of the fabric. I had done the whole block at home. (the day

before - taped to the patio door!) It is big - 14 x 22 I think....

Little suction cups might work if they stay! Since all the "drive through"

action happens on his side!!:D;)

p.s. take another look at that tire swing too!! That is an old motorcycle

tire that he made into a swing... we just make things work I guess!!

It was -6 this morning, glad I park in the garage where it was a nice warm

15 degrees!! The girls like watching the degrees drop on our way to

school in the mornings!

I love it when folks use what they have to make things work, like you did!

There is a stiff, heavier and thicker interfacing than most, almost like Tim Tex and about half the cost. That\'s what I used for the bowls and several other things.. Got it at JoAnns.

If you are looking for something to keep the sewing caddy in place, you could also get some of the mesh type rubber stuff, Lowes and many other Hardware stores have it in small rolls with the shelf liners, etc.. I think even Walmart has it with their Contact Paper It\'s a no skid stuff.. used a lot in RV\'s and Campers, too. The only drawback is the container needs something to weight it down so it will stay put.

I used little plastic trays from Walmart.. about 3"wide 1 1/2"deep and about 10"long. The solid sides, not the grid. They worked well, also in the RV, as well as the van.

RitaR

If you do have a space that is metal and convenient,you could put the magnetic material (it comes in a roll and has sticky stuff on it) on the back or bottom of the plastic containers suggested by Rita and that might work. Am going to try that myself. Isn\'t this a wonderful site? So many good ideas.

Archived