which business program?

Hi everyone.

My DH bought me quick books and installed it on my computer. I freely admit, I'm illiterate when it comes to the creature, and I want someone to teach me how to use it. Would the machine quilters business manager be a better program? Anyone who has had one or the other, or both, which would you suggest.

Thanks for your input.

Beth

good question!! I also have Quickbooks and hate it! I have had a beginner class, but need to take the advanced to really know what to do. I am thinking about the Machine Quilter\'s Business Mgr. Linda Card has it and just posted a message about it, but she is a computer nut (no offense Linda). I need to hear from normal people :)

Yuk, I use Quickbooks for my husband\'s business. I hate it. First of all, it is a memory hog on the older model computers, meaning you can\'t have any other program running at the same time. It is easy to use, AFTER you get it set up properly. That is, it is easy for me, only because I used it in a previous life to do the books for my employers numerous businesses. My original idea was to have something easy enough for my husband to put the info in, that way no more of the tax time rumble, what did you spend that money on, do you have a reciept?

No such luck. He has trouble even getting the program to pull up!

I currently am using both quickbooks and the Microsoft accounting program 9don\'t remember the name, for my business. kind of my own style of double entry! Trying to make up my mind which one I like better, so far, neither one is winning. The only advantage the MS version has is you get a free website (which I have NOT used to its fullest)

I\'m curious about the Quilters Business software. i thought it was only for the business aspect and you still needed a different software for the books, like the checking account...am I wrong? If so, i know what is on my Valentine\'s Day list!

Jeanne Morris

Monroe, GA

I just started Quickbooks and am trying very hard not to have a preconceived idea that I hate it. :D My son (15 years old!) helped set it up. I know how to input expenses, but that\'s it. But, then again, I don\'t have any income, yet. I haven\'t figured out how to pull up any info or set up intake sheets. I spent $200 bucks on the program, so REFUSE to give up! I just need to spend some time with it, and think positive thoughts. Shana speaks highly of Quickbooks, I think.

Jen

When I bought the MQBM, I talked to them and they said that it will do everything to keep track of inventory, customers etc, but that it will not keep the check book. My thoughts are that if you do a lot of quilts, and love to spend time on something other than keeping track of your inventory, it\'s a great software. You can keep track of your customers in Quick Books. In quick books, you can enter a lot of the inventory information in when you are catagorizing you checks written. But I\'m not one who enters the type or color of thread used on each quilt I do in order to keep track of how many quilts I get out of a cone of thread. In a lot of respects, I think that they duplicate each other. If I had known this, I probably wouldn\'t have purchased the MQBM and saved the $$$. I\'m not a computer whiz (basically, I\'m pretty relaxed about bookwork and get to it when my in box if full) but if you are the type that is wanting every scrap of paper taken care of immediately, then both programs will help you. Anyway, that\'s what I think about it.

I have MQBM and have used quick books too. I find MQBM an absolute wonderful program. Now I do have to say that I have a background in computers but having used many different software products I can tell you that MQBM is one of the most user friendly programs around! It only took me an hour to install it and set up all my info, load my logo and get everything ready for customers. It was well worth the $\'s and I can easily print the info I need to do my taxes and all that nasty stuff! I would highly recommend it.

I have quickbooks and it is fine for me and easy to use. The tutorial is good. However, that said, it is a very powerful program and I know that I am barely scratching the surface with it\'s overall intended use....it\'s probably more than I really need right now but it works for what I am doing right now... I am keeping things really simple and easy and if I need to expand larger later on, that program, can do it for sure. Like I said in another post: K.I.S.S. === I am a big fan of KISS.

Archived