What I learned this time.

BUT I had problems. I was mean with the backing fabric. We used the left over blocks to make a centre strip for the backing so there was very little extra.

I stitched through 2 flower pin heads as I was too close to the pick up leader fabric.

I then found that the extended base caught on the pins on the front backing roller and I got wobbly lines as a result. I also got caught up down the sides when I hit the pieced bit of backing.

What do others do.? Next time I would add a 6" strip around the backing so that I was a long way from the edges when quilting. Is this a normal problem or am I just being stupid?

post--1346189918571_thumb.jpg

Hi Yvette,

I have run into pins in the past also and it is quite a shock to see my expensive machine hitting a pin....I am a newbie and was taught that I should sew down each side prior to moving into the quilt, meaning there are no pins on the edges at that time for hitting....Is the norm for everyone? apparently not? but then I read somewhere else it creates problems internally in the quilt sandwich, ie. stretching, so maybe the pin route is the best even if they can be ran into...I\'ll be watching for answers also as i would like to know....Thanks, Denise

Yvette, you have no fear, girl. I was afraid to touch a ruler my first year. You go, girl. Did you stitch into the leader too. I hate when that happens. Only once. But I like your meander and what I could see of your cross hatch looks good. I do all my crosshatching with a Circle Lord. That does not require nearly the skill level that rulers do. :D

Denise - I pin my sides. Well, I clamp the backing to get it straight from side to side then I pin the quilt top to the sides with the points facing in. Personal preference, I guess. I generally turn my quilts if they have a separate border treatment. If I forget the remove the pins when I turn, it\'s so big deal. For an edge to edge, I have run over pins but without mishap. I have always been afraid to stitch the sides for fear of sealing in a pucker. I want room to ease in.

Linda, do you turn your quilt when doing crosshatching with the CL? I\'m doing the cross hatch without turning, using just the square template with diagonal lines. It\'s tedious. There must be a better way. :)

Good job on the ruler work, Yvette. My first attempt at crosshatching was with a ruler and I did not post pics!

Hey Yvette! NICE QUILTING! Love your meandering and your cross hatching is very good.

That\'s the only way to learn; to just do it, right? :)

Live and learn with the pins catching on the extended base. Me? Been there done that, too. Maybe the best way to avoid this is to pull the pin out (temporarily) when you are getting near the edge? Then put it back in if you need to. I have the flower head pins and I also have the corsage pins. I have noticed that my corsage pins catch on my extended base sometimes under the leveler bar and I got some bumps in the quilting ... live and learn lessons. Hmmm...

I am starting to learn that I need to really think AHEAD of what I\'m doing and where I\'m going and the possible "hazards" that I might come up to. The only way to learn about the hazard is to have an experience with it. ;)

Anyway, keep up the great work!

Oh and I wanted to say that the picture you posted of your crimson red sunset from your bedroom window was just stunning -- beautiful! :)

Good job Yvette.

Like you I am a newbie, I always tell myself, you can do this and PPP is the only way to go.

One time, months ago, my Millie was making an unusual sound when I was quilting. I found out I had a pin somewhere and it showed when the I used the thread cutter. I was so relieved to find out I did not do any damage to the machine.

Corey

Yvette, You are doing great work.. I love it all.. also I too found it more beneficial to have something "real"on the frame, to learn things.. Some may not have come out very well, but it was a much easier/better learning curve.. maybe the scrappies from them could go to ASPCA or PAWS etc, for their pet beds.. Some of mine I just couldn\'t give for real use, hubby got a couple to replace his Moms Old Quilts he\'d been using for shipping and packing mats.. grrrrrrrrrr Keep it up, you are doing very well!

RitaR

<html>

<font color=#6734A0 size="2"><B>

Yvette, Really nice work ! I often had problems with "catching" when using the extended base, plus, it limits the amount of workable space between the front and back rollers so I don\'t use it much any more. The Circle Lord was an enormous purchase for me but worth every penny.

When I have straight lines to do I usually mark them with tailor\'s chalk using a ruler or yard stick (without the expanded base) and then I use the rulers that came with the base to guide me if the line is on a diagonal. If the line is horizontal or vertical I just go slower and don\'t bother with a ruler.

On the example below I did the two sides then turned the quilt and did the two ends.</B>

</font></html>

post--1346189919502_thumb.jpg

Archived