Design Help Needed - Poodle Club Raffle Quilt

Help! I think I am in over my head. I said I would quilt someone\'s quilt before I realized that it was going to be a raffle quilt for the Poodle Club.

It is really lovely, with bright batik Ohio Stars on white background (with little bones in them!) and borders and sashing of poodle fabric and butterflies. The lady told me that if she were hand quilting it, she would put poodles in each of the stars, and feathers in the borders, but I can do whatever I want. She also selected bright Rainbows thread.

Well, I certainly don\'t feel up to poodles in the stars (even if I could find a pattern) and my feathers are not up to raffle quilt standards. I\'m also not happy about the bright Rainbow in the bright stars or their white background where they will show every little bobble.

So - I\'m thinking about using white thread in the white background and doing some filler, and maybe trying some sort of design in the star (with the Rainbow if I practice and it looks good), and doing paw prints or poodle puffy things (sort of like clouds) in the busy border.

Other ideas? I\'ll try to post a photo.

Thanks,

Julia

post--13461899245348_thumb.jpg

Julia,

You could do the poodles. Just take the poodle in the fabric and make a photo copy of it and blow it up to the size you need. Take out any of the lines that make it too busy and then trace on freezer paper. Then simple needle stitch the paper and you will have your pattern. Use miricle chalk applied with a foam brush to transfer the design. It really is easier than you think! I like the idea of paw prints or even dog biskets which would be pretty easy. Have you tried the less stress feathers? You could mark the vein and then go for it. It really would make it look pretty. The other option in the outside border is to do a meandering flower border. You can just do a loopy meander in the white background and I would SID the stars or do small feathers in the triangles of the stars.

Or, if you have a laser light you can work from the front of the machine with the laser and trace around a poodle as you stitch. What color is the quilt back? That could make a difference if you use one color on the top and one on the back. So, if you use white on top, will you also be using white on back, or something that matches the back. You will need to adjust your tension so that you don\'t have one color showing on the opposite side.

Thank you Patty Jo:cool:. You should have seen me trying to take that picture. My 10 second timer gave me just enough time to hit the button and run the obstcale course around the corner, around the end of the table, get into position, pose, smile, and act like I am just casually relaxing next to Lucy. Tried crawling under the table once....got tangled in the cords and started laughing. If anyone had been window peeping they would have called the funny farm. Finally got a picture that I thought would work. At least now you all know what you are talking to :P

Julia,

I don\'t know what kind of backing you have but, like Mary Beth said, the backing is a big consideration.

When I speak with a client about a quilt, my first question is "What kind of batting do you want?"

If it is a thin batting (Warm & Natural or Quilter\'s Dream Select) then I know that the top and bottom threads have to be the same; there just isn\'t enough room to make a stitch in a thin batt without the thread poking thru somewhere in the quilt.

If the client wants poly (Soft & Bright or QD poly), then the batt is thick enough for me to control my tension so I don\'t mind using a different color thread on top and back.

I am surprised by how many piecers buy a backing without even thinking about the thread color they would like to use on the top.

As far as Rainbows, it is a wonderful lively thread but it would not be my first choice for that quilt. I don\'t like changing threads in a quilt. Invariably, I will forget to change the bobbin or forget to pull the new thread thru from the back. So I would choose just one thread.

I think that I would go for a blue that matchs the border. I know it sounds odd, but if those stars look good with that blue border, then a blue thread (like PermaCore Flapper Blue) will look good in those stars, too. I would use an open background fill (even stipple) to nail down the edges of the stars with the blue thread. The sashing in blue with curls or waves. This is a whimsical quilt so a whimsical star would look good, too. (see below)

My other choice would be white; white in the background and inside the stars. The sashing white with curls.

I think that I would go simple in the border. Feathers would be nice but they are not simple for some folks. Puffy clouds (similar to the panto Popcorn) would be easy and in keeping with the fun intended with this quilt.

So if the guild has not yet chosen/purchased the back, give them a push to buy the color that will help you as the quilter.

I hope that you post a photo.

post--13461899274501_thumb.jpg

This post reminded me of about the 2nd custom I ever did--an elderly lady that used Laurel Birch fabrics and wanted animals in the stars--well I couldn\'t even think to attempt animals--so I did some Pam Clark things in each star--and incorparted some dog bones and paw prints into the centers--then I did this kind of poodle tail thing in one of the borders.

I am not the best with the mouse--but you get the effect--just make them continuous and add a little filler between each or at the bottom.

That is what I saw with this quilt.

post--13461899275427_thumb.jpg

Yes, Pam, I like to match my top thread to my top and match my bobbin thread to my backing, when I have a batt thick enough to make a good stitch without pokies.

I don\'t think that would be a good decision on a thin batt, for example, if blue thread was used on top and yellow thread was used in the bobbin. If the tension gets wonky, the blue thread may get pulled to the yellow back or the yellow thread pulled to the top.

The batting is just another thing to consider and discuss with your client as you set about a plan for the thread for quilting their quilt.

Archived