HELP! reloading partially quilted quilt

I hae a dilemma. I had started on a customer quilt and part way through ended up with a huge fold in the backing. I took the bottom of the top off the roller, took the backing off the roller, ripped out to before the bad point and now don\'t know what to do.

THe upper edge of the quilt is quilted with the backing attached to the top roller bar. That part is rolled and looks good. The rest is all just hanging. How can I attach the backing back on to the bottom roller bar and not get wrinkles or loose saggy spots.

I\'m probably making it harder than it is, but I need to get it finished.

Do I need to take the quilt off the frame completely, then start over with the loading, or do I need to rip out the entire thing and start like it was brand new?

you marked your centers of the backing and quilt top before loading, right??? You should be able to repin the backing first to the backing roller and then roll it up. I would leave the already quilted part on the take up roller. Make sure you smooth it out with each roll so it is good and smooth. Roll it up so that it is snug. Then I wold do the same with the quilt top.

Don\'t know why you got the fold in the first place, but when you load your backing originally make sure you smooth it out with each roll. Then when you pin it to the take up leader, I would roll it back and forth a time or two to make sure everything rolls up smoothly and evenly. This also helps to reduce any slack in the backing fabric.

Hope this helps.

Patty

Am I understanding you correctly....you have reloaded the top, batting, and backing to the take up #1 roller, but you are having problems getting the backing and top back onto the #2, and #3 rollers? I just refind the center of each piece and attach as if its the first time.

As long as you have a perfect center and you don\'t stretch it as you load you shouldn\'t have ANY trouble getting it back onto the rollers. When you roll, roll slow and you shouldn\'t get any wrinkles in the materials, and you should just go as if its the first time. As you get to the part where its already sewn, just be careful not to tear the pieces apart and once you get the fabric tensions correctly you just sew as if it was never off the frame. It may be a bit slower getting it all back on because you are dealing with a attached piece, but you shouldn\'t have any trouble getting it back on, and I would NEVER take out something unless you fee that they wrinkle actually started way before you noticed it. Don\'t make more work for yourself than yo have to....that is silly.

Do you have zippers on your leaders? They really solve the issue of taking off quilts...there is no need to unpin...you leave it pinned and unzip. That way when you go to reload the quilt you just zip it back on. For the most part everything is lined up again.

I know this doesn\'t help you if you don\'t own zippers, but I truly think they are worth the investment.

Cheryl

Zippers! Zippers! Zippers! I just took off a King (110x115). I didn\'t like the tension and switched threads after I frogged. This customer provided her own thread and it just wouldn\'t hold up to the longarm. It\'s a little bit of a pain to zip it back on and straighten everything out, but after about 20 mins. I was quilting again. Sure beats pinning to the leaders.

I got it reloaded, but I\'m still fighting with it. The backing appears to be stretching, no matter how loose or tight I roll it, and the batting has big wads that are creating wrinkles. She can\'t get the other batting she was sending. This is some she got from Hancocks or Hobby Lobby, and I hate it. Pink design on clear bag- not good stuff.

Archived