MQS - Car Rental

Let me warn you that the KC airport is new and they have a few (?) extra charges tacked on the end of your car rental IF you rent at the airport. :(:mad:

It really surprised me last year. I noticed this year that these fees do not seem to apply if, for example, you pick-up your rental in Lenexa or Overland Park.

I guess they have to pay for that new airport somehow. :D:D:P

When you book online, before you give them your credit card, look closely at the fees.

If anyone is still looking for a car rental;......

Are you a Sam\'s Club Member?

They have great deals on car rentals. Just give them a call for their Coupon #. You get a discount for being a Member and either a Double Upgrade of $ off depending on which car rental company you go with.

If you\'re still looking for a rental, check them out.

Laura

KCI has a new car rental facility. Probably changed since last year. You now get on a car rental suttle bus and it takes you to an underground garage. You go up an escalator and ta-da, you are in a car rental terminal. All car rental facilities are housed under one roof. You then go to the counter of choice, and take care of business. They direct you from there to your car. That is what you are paying for, I would think.

They had this system last year when I rented my car. Yes, there were fees, about 25.00 - 35.00 I think. But I look at is as equaling out. If you had to take a taxi or shuttle to get off property, what would that cost you? Probably the same or more. You pay for convenience!

Before I forget, MCI is the airport that services Kansas City. Some folks call it Kansas City Airport, KCI, MCI. Whatever, it is still the same airport. This is the best airport I have ever seen. They have totally solved that standing in line for 45 minutes to get thru the security check-point. None of that. And when you come out the gate, there are the people you are supposed to meet. No long hikes thru the airport. San Diego, LA, Phoenix, Vegas, San Francisco, Dulles, JFK, San Antonio all have these centralized security check-ins so you wait in a long line to get thru security only to get to a crowded gate area where you will wait some more. OK, enough ranting about the inconvenience of flying.

Now, I can rant about those rental car costs :P .....

OK, I just went to check the car rental for picking up a car at Kansas City airport. A mid-size car rental for 4 days is $60 a day. Yeah, I know, seemed high to me, too.

This was Enterprise:

Rental fee: $60.59 x 4 days = $242.36

Taxes and fee: $96.09

Estimated total charges: $338.45

That makes your car cost a whopping $84.61 a day. :o :o

Then I checked the car rental at an Overland Park location also Enterprise, same car size, same number of days but pick up the car in Overland Park office. Daily rental at that Overland Park location was $31.34 a day.

Rental fee: $31.34 X 4 days = $125.13

Kansas Excise Tax: $4.39

Sales Tax: $9.43

Total: $139.18

That makes your car cost $34.79 a day. :cool:

The airport car is convenient and it was a new facility last year; clean, well-organized and well-staffed. But that $200 difference in the pricing is significant. I\'d rather spend my $$ on thread and gadgets.

Check out this url for a shuttle from Kansas City Airport (MCI) to the Hilton Garden Inn at the Convention Center in Overland Park: $35 one way. I would imagine a ride to any hotel in the same area would cost the same for the shuttle.

http://rideflyreservations.com/airports/search/1092?gclid=CLSzxOrOj5MCFRogkgodIVz8TQ

Hmmmm. I ran a 5 day rental with Enterprise picking up at the airport MCI for a 5 day rental Full size car and got a total of 217.63, This is a TOTAL including all fees. Making it $27.00 per day for the car and tack on the fees and taxes you get 43.53 per day. Interesting the different pricing we all get.

Patty, that really is odd. I just went back to that site and it put me in a different place than before. This time I was at Enterprise Plus Members Benefit Program...which I am not a member of.

And I did get a lower price. But there were still six additional fees - $90 worth of fees and taxes. I did a screen capture to show all th fees because this is so weird. I just think that we all want the best deal we can get and no surprises. Surprise me with flowers but don\'t surprise me with a big bill. :D

car-rental.doc

I made my resverations by phone. I have a full size car for 6 days. My total is $199. I did use the AARP discount but that is all. That fee include all taxes and fees. Linda, when do you arrive ? Maybe we could share a car. I arrive Mon morning at 10:30. I leave on Sun. I would enjoy company, not to mention help with gas. By the way Mary Beth what is the going rate on gas there ? Here it is 3.69. Glenda

That is about the rate it is here. I don\'t get out much...and when I do I forget to look at the price. I know this sounds dumb...they all cost the same and when you are out and need it....you stop and get it. I think it is about the same amount :)

Linda. I haven\'t been able to get to the chat since yesterday afternoon. I believe the difference is having the members plus card and the time frame for booking. Just like an airline, the earlier you book, the cheaper you get it. As far as the member card, I got one last year, doesn\'t cost any extra and does give you some benefits, even if you only use it once a year!

Gas is $3.47/gallon here in Kansas City on the Missouri side. It is usually different on the Kansas side of the state line, but I don\'t go there unless I go to a quilt store or to MQS once a year...oh, and my guild meeting once a month. So don\'t know what it is over there. Hope this helps some.

Archived