Totally Quilt related and VERY interesting!!

Do you all remember the family in my town who\'s house burned to the ground on December 23rd of last year? I made the kids a quilt each to help them in some way and to help me deal with the death of my father just a few weeks before.(It was some how comforting to me to think of their needs rather than my total heartbreak). Any way we got a picture and a wonderful Thank you from the parents of them using the quilts (EVERYNITE) Any way what I found interesting is that they keep the quilt top on them-Not the cozy flannel back! They love the quilts so much that they choose to keep the top closest to them! Now I am tickled pink that they appriciate the quilts but some how a little dissappointed to just see the backs in the pictures! LOL!! The important thing is now they are almost finished rebuilding their home and their lives and in some small way I was able to help!!

It does make me smile thru the tears!!

Sewhappy

BTW... the quilts were two large throws (almost twin) one was a football quilt done in the boy\'s favorite team colors & hers was a horse quilt of my own design.

Sewhappy

Great story. I\'m in Virginia Beach, after the tornadoes that went through the area our LQS collected quilts and money for the families. The families loved the thoughts and work put into the quilts and couldn\'t believe the caring expressed by our quilters. :)

I would love to find a quilt pattern that can be sewn very quickly to use for a donation like that. There are times when I\'d love to get ahead so I could just pull a quilt out of the closet to give to someone who has an immediate need. But you know how WE never have time to piece tops for ourselves. . .

Thanks for sharing your story.

Bonnie R.

What a wonderful story!

Bonnie R. - In addition to the Turning Twenty and Yellow Brick Road quilts, I have a book called "Happy Hour" by Atkinson Designs. I just made a twin bed top in one (long) day. I will attempt to quilt it with the CL Swirls that I recently purchased, but need to get the batting first. The book has a few variations, but the blocks are large and extremely simple. It would be a great beginners top to piece. This book might be another option for you to try.

I have often thought of having a few "charity" quilts ready to go - but then they would not be as personal! This boy is LOVES the patriots and his big sister is a huge horse fan! The quilts I made one at a time and very spicificly for them - I think thats one reason they love them sooooooo much!!

Sewhappy

Thanks for the ideas. That\'s what I like about this forum. There\'s always someone out there with an excellent idea. You\'re the greatest!

I agree that most of the time I love to personalize the quilts I give to people.

Bonnie R.

Archived