Professional Longarm Yellow Book

If you machine quilt for profit and want to see your business grow,

then you should be listed in the

4th Annual Professional Longarm Yellowbook (PLYB).

Please submit your entry as soon as possible!

You can sign up online at www.quiltingprofessional.com

Questions? Call PLYB Editor Beth Vitiritto at 1-800-367-5651 or e-mail beth@quiltingnow.com

I guess I\'m just full of questions lately! Patty Jo, how long have you been listed? What results are you getting? Are you being contacted by anyone who has gotton your name from it? Just curious, I\'ve seen this come up when I Googled something or other and wondered about it at the time.

Yeah, what Kenna said. I have know people who have put their names in there with zero results. I want to know if anyone has had good results and how much. Seems like these things are always coming along to suck us dry....I want to know if it really works, or is it just something else to spend money on. Not trying to be a stick in the mud...just want to know what others have experienced.

I think the best advertisement is word of mouth, but when you are just getting started it\'s hard to get your name out there. If you have enough customers to keep you as busy as you want to be, then don\'t sign up for this. Here in Salem, the largest LQS no longer takes in business cards as the file they kept them in was sooo full, and they didn\'t know how long ago anyone put cards in it, or even if people were still in business. They now have you pay $25 to be put on a flyer that is given to each customer for a full year. This will probably be a standing thing for me with the LQS, but I still want my name out there on the web, in a Longarm reference for quilters that go to the big shows too.

This is my 3rd yr in the Longarm Yellowbook, I don\'t know if any of my customers have come from this ad, they probably haven\'t, but to get my name out there into a publication that is handed out at big quilt shows, I feel it is worth the $$ ($30 for first year, $25 for renewal). I\'ve had some of my customers find me in it but it\'s been after I\'ve done a quilt for them.

So I spend a total of $50 a year for advertising and I feel it is worth every penny, even if it only gets me one new customer a year. At least that\'s my opinion.

A few more thoughts - I know that advertising is a hit &/or miss proposition. Around our area, the Local newspaper would charge $25 per week for an ad. If you put your name in a quilting magazine, I would imagion it isn\'t cheap. So, I felt that this was a good way to get my name out there. Maybe I\'m off track. How do the rest of you get your name out there so that customers can find you (other than word of mouth)?

My protection plan wont let me enter the "ad your name/advertise with us" as it\'s full of spam. Apparently there is problems with that web sites security certificate, and its not recomending me to go there. hummmmm.

I\'ll have to send the e-mail to get my name listed.

I have been in the PLYB for 3 years and probably won\'t do it this year. Haven\'t gotten a single nibble from it (that I know of). It is suposedly given out at the big shows, but I didn\'t see it at MQX. I\'m going to try a small ad in the state guild newsletter this year instead. It\'s certainly my target audience.

What does seem to be working (slowly) is the yahoo quilters yard sale groups- and posting is free.

I agree with Patty Jo that advertising is "hit or miss" and that you have to be diverse to catch a nibble here or there...just like fishing. Try new/different lures, or move to a different hole...LOL! I have not aggressively "advertised" out there yet, except for my little SSQ longarm quilting web page (which doesn\'t have much on it...). A few strangers that apparently were Googling have emailed me saying they found my web page -- probably because they googled Alaska or quilting or something like that? Word of mouth or references or personal relationships seem to be the main form of getting business, but of course, that is with any type of business.

There is a good chance that when I get a little more quilting experience under my belt I will advertise in the Professional Longarm Yellow Book. Perhaps next year? I want to get my feet wet (established) a little bit more before I do that.

One thing I think is interesting in the Professional Longarm Yellow Book is (as a fellow quilter) you can see who\'s out there listed in that book. I find that very interesting and intriquing. You just never know who you might meet or bump into down the road through a reference like the Professional Longarm Yellow Book. Food for thought!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived