I'm in the market for a new iron

I bought an Oreck Vacuum, and they were throwing in their cordless iron. I love it. You can use it plugged in or cordless, so the possibilities are endless.

I usually keep it plugged in, but if I ever need to steam a quilt on the frame, I don't have to worry about the cord reaching, I can flip a lever and it becomes cordless and can go anywhere, (for a short time).

I just went through the same search.

I have owned many Rowentas. They are fine but they die! The water tank leaks on everyone. My husband wonders about my "rowenta graveyard".....they are still great for pressing without steam....and they get HOT!

I bought the one that Consumer Report ranked 1st and also considered it a "best buy"

It is the Black & Decker digital one (I think the model is 2030...maybe 3020). It steams with quite a blast...gets very hot...and has a stainless steel face. The retail for 49.99 all over the place and I used a 20% coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond so it was 39.99.

I LOVE IT!

Here's my 2 cents..I'm an iron junkie..have had several Rowentas, only the very first cord/cordless lasted for 5 yrs, after that they only last 6 months + very disappointed in the quality of them for the price..I have a GE that I keep next to my machine for shrinking borders, it's a left over..I bought an Olisio about a yr ago and I like it but don't love it and starting a search for another iron. It does not get hot enough:( and it was pricey.

Someone on this list suggested a gravity fed iron and I'm thinking of ordering it. Here's the link, cheaper than the Eurosteam

http://carusew.com/item/steam_iron.html

Dear Katieflys,

I had never even thought of the Oreck. I believe they are a very good company. I have their small tabletop room air purifier and am very happy with it, even considering buying another.

There is an old saying, "The first generation creates, the second generation develops, and the third generation destroys." I think that as long as "old man Oreck" is still in charge of the company, their products will be of high quality.

Thanks for that idea. I will also consider an Oreck.

love all the info. i have a rowenta (my second) one so far so good.

it does drive me crazy shutting off when i need it. My mom has an old

sunbeam iron from i don't know maybe 1960's heavy no steam lots of

heat. you know the kind that has a solid plate on the bottom. you can't go off and leave them they stay on . sometimes i browse yard sales looking for really old irons.

they made them before they had safety regulations.

Would someone tell me if the one they had the KC show that was $300 was what everyone is talking about...? I was going to buy it til they told me the price...I think I'll spend my money on throw aways for now and save the rest for thread and other things...:) Yes, little pricy I would say for sure..but did a nice job.

Linda,

I took this iron to class the first day that I bought it. I was in a bit of a hurry to leave and I had used the iron until the last minute. It stayed hot for a long time. I think I left after 15 or 20 minutes. It was still warm to the touch. I just set it on its carriage and put it on the floor of my car. However, I did not read the instructions or watch the video until yesterday and it turns out you can put it on it carriage, put the lid on and go.

If you would like I can do a test. My husband has a nifty thermometer that you just point at something and it tells the temperature. Let me see if I can find him and see if that would work.

Okay here are the stats, but I don't know how accurate the temperature is or if I timed it perfectly. I did do the test in my quilting room :D

Starting temp 485

30 seconds 464

1 minute 448

1 min, 30 secs 435

2 minutes 424

3 minutes 400

5 minutes 359

10 minutes 288

15 minutes 242

I will say that it does sit nce and tightly in it's carriage and it does have the cover. So in the future I will have no qualms about taking it to class.

I hope this helps :)

A very long time ago (12 years??) I attended a trade show aimed at drapery and home dec. professionals. That's when I bought my first APQS and also my DOEFIX iron. I've traded up on the APQS twice but still have and use my DOEFIX iron. It has a separate boiler to generate steam so the iron doesn't have to be as hot. It too could steam the wrinkles out of a sharpei dog! It has not been trouble free but when I send it to be fixed (to Michigan), it comes back in under a week and the repair always works. I've had to send the iron or the boiler back 3 or 4 times - things do wear out. I now have one of their systems that hangs the iron and steam hoses overhead and I love it. I pull down the iron down rather than pick it up and it is much easier on the wrist. That all being said, it was not a cheap item but I doubt that I've spent as much as those of you who have replaced many Rowenta irons. Try doefix.com.

Travel Iron.

I've got a Rowenta Travel iron that I take to classes. The handle folds down, but I usually don't bother with it. I made myself a hot iron carry tote with fabric and the hot pad batting in the middle. I'm having a brain fade, not nearly enough coffee. I just quilted window treatments for the shop with it, and can't remember the name! Anyway, it works great. Unplug it, tuck it in the bag, and into my sewing machine case.

Good luck,

Beth

Hi all--

My "vintage" ebay GE steam iron arrived a few days ago and I'm in lovewith it! Gets good and hot has a heavy metal soleplate, steam works great and best of all, it doesn't shut itself off just when I'm ready to use it again! Maybe some of the newer irons make more steam but this one will work just fine for me.

Wanda Gene

Originally posted by quiltaholi_518

you know the one with the little feet? I have had mine a record 2 years without a hiccup! Saves a lot on the wrist fatigue, I recommend!

I bought an Oliso iron last fall. I liked the fact I did not have to stand it up but could just release it and the feet would raise it up. I was never 100% sold on the steam - I think it needed more. However, about 3 weeks ago I was using it one night and it worked just like normal. I went to use it the next day and it would not heat up - it had died. I contacted Oliso and they said to return it to them and they'd replace it but I need the actual receipt from the store in order to do this. I cannot find the receipt anywhere - I have the box and the instructions - just no receipt so I'm stuck and this iron is getting tossed into the garbage. I will not purchase another one. I have a friend who also has/had an Oliso - hers did the same thing but hers did last about 1 year before it died. I think it is a rather expensive iron to only last approximately 6 months.

I have a EuroSteam iron and it is okay. It takes a long time for the water to boil in order to get steam and it never seems to last long enough for me.

I have a EuroPro "mini" iron which I like. It is a nice size when I am piecing and has lots of steam. However, it leaks. Last night when using it, water poured out of it all over my ironing board.

Now I'm looking for something else. I think this thread is very timely for me!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I just purchased a DeLonghi steam iron. I had always had problems with Rowenta, Shark, etc. spitting after a short while.

All the reviews on Amazon.com raved about the DeLonghi, so I decided to try it. So Far I Love it!! It comes with a 3 year warranty.

You can use it with or with out steam and it doesn't shut off automatically.

The only complaint I would have is that the steam cord could be a bit longer.

Have a great day!:D

Archived