I'm in the market for a new iron

We used to use Rowenta at our shop for the classroom. They did not even last a year b/c of the high use. Now we get the Black and Decker from Wal-mart and they are great. They cost about $ 45.00. My mom just got a Shark and loves it to.

Sandra

Hi Ann,

I've spent loads of $$$$ over the years on high end irons, only to be disappointed. That is, until I purchased a Pacific Steam Gravity Feed iron 3 years ago. I love the fact that the water reservoir holds nearly a gallon of water... I can produce a lot of steam for a few weeks before having to refill. Also, since the water is not stored within the iron, there are never spurts of "off colored whatever" to contend with on my ironing board or precious fabric.

I hang the reservoir from a hospital type I V pole with a cast iron base that I found on ebay. (think the cast iron base is key as the reservoir is a bit on the heavy side and needs to be hung approximately 30" above the ironing surface)

Got my iron from allbrands.com.

Good luck in your search.

Jill

I have had a Bernina iron (loved it but no longer made) and several Rowentas. I'm using a Black and Decker now.

What I've learned is that if you want an iron to get really HOT, you need a metal bottom, not one of those coated bottoms.

I use the coated bottom irons for my clothes, but I use the metal bottom irons for pressing fabric. I have an old Black and Decker (Alex Anderson used to use one on her show) and it gets HOT. Not as hot as the Bernina did (it broke), but hot enough.

But I do love the little Rowenta. It has a very long cord and that's the one I use for getting the fluff out of quilt borders, while still on the frame, using the spray starch method I learned from this forum.

I am currently using a Shark due to the fact that my Rowenta bit the dust. (Won't steam anymore and doesn't heat up well). So far I've been pleased with this Shark. I like the fact that you can operate with a cord or cordless, so when using Bonnie's starch method, I can use it cordless. Hope this helps.

I have a shark.. At first I thought it a bit heavy, but it doesn't seem to hurt the neck.. I love the 3 second blast of steam I get from it.. gives me plenty of time to make some distance up a crease or piece of fabric.. Nice long cord and good sized water reserviour (sp?) For Classes I have a small iron by Americana Tourister.. as in luggage, love it, but it's slowing down, so got one of the Black and Decker travel irons and am quite pleased with it. More than one of the gals on Sew Day will pass up the regular size iron and come use my little one.

I bought so many Rowentas I think I owned the company twice.. one didn't even last 2 months when it plugged up, and they RECOMMENDED we use Normal TAP WATER.. Cost me almost as much to send it in for repairs, pay repairs and pay shipping back as the iron did, so that was the last Rowenta I bought.

My shark also has a self cleaning setting and it blasts so much steam I had to move the violets off the windowsill to keep from burning them.

RitaR

I have had so many irons that didn't last (Rowenta) or just weren't right for a quilter (auto shutoff or didn't get hot enough like the expensive Magtag Cordless). And most of them would spit out gunk on my fabric if I used the steam function. For a long time now I am using an old GE travel iron that I had around. Believe it or not, it has been the most satisfactory so far. I don't use its fteam function, I spray the fabric instead with water or starch or both. I just bought a vintage full size GE steam iron on Ebay that I want for using the BFSSM (did I get that right, oh well you guys know what I mean). I'll let you know how that works out!

Wanda Gene

I love my Sharks- I have a couple!! one even has a headlight!! I did the Rowenta irons (three) Never lasted that long!! They are not cheap-liked nothing about them (two were gifts).I liked the feel of the Black & Decker but it would hisss and spit when waiting for me!!

Good luck;)

Sewhappy

Thanks for the input so far. I had never even heard of Shark brand, but decided I'd take a look. I googled

shark iron

and investigated the first entry

Shark Professional Continuous Iron - GI490

from Target and read the reviews. They were mostly negative! I'm disappointed because I was ready to buy it.

Further comments?

I have the EuroSteam. $200 and they are sold at fairs, quilting and craft shows. I love it. I takes a little getting used to because it sits on it's face on a mat instead of upwright. It has it's own generator for the steam so the steam is pressurized. Works great for the steam and starch method to get the fullness out of a quilt! It's also supposed to be a lifetime iron. Any parts can be replaced.

I would be interested if anybody else has the EuroSteam. I have seen them at quilt shows and was wondering if they were worth the investment. I was one of those that bought a cordless Maytag and was very disappointed. and it was pricey too.

LeeAnn I own a Europro and I love it. I get a very nice steam and it is heavy so it really sets the seams. The thing I love most about it is it will not burn the fabric! I've tested it and it just doesn't. LOL I used my old Rowenta and I completly forgot that it would burn if I left it down...yup my big board has a big scortch mark! I've had mine almost a year and I've had no problem.

Like all of you, I've owned lots of irons--I returned a maytag steam generator and have had a rowenta master (steam generator) for two years. I can't imagine life without it. BUT, it is now beginning to spit! So, I can see that it will eventually be impossible to use! I'll be checking out the great advice in this thread! Thanks, Jane

I used to have a white steam generator iron which I loved. Dropped it a few too many times and it bit the dust. I tried to get another and they quit making them. :mad: I do alot of ironing clothes as well as pressing quilts, so I wanted something with alot of steam. hate the way rowentas spit, and heard good reviews on the oliso so I tried it. Yuck, I hated that thing. Didn't get hot at all and the constant up and down of the feet drove me crazy. After about a year it just quit steaming. I checked into the sharks and others and decided after some research to go with a DeLonghi steam generator. Wow, is it great! Uses regalar tap water and just blasts away the wrinkles. I have a really wavy quilt quilt on the fram now and it powerful steam is working wonders on the fullness. It has a 3 year warranty so that right there tells you something! The stand by there product and know it will work, not like these ones that offer a 90 day warranty!! You can get it a Amazon.com. They are the only place I could find it.

I was using a Rowenta which was fine except that it leaked on occasion and the cord drove me absolutely nuts.

I heard about the Panasonic cordless iron from a class instructor who really likes hers. I bought one about a month ago and have to say I love it. It is so nice not to have to deal with a cord, especially on large tops. It was not that expensive, around $50 from Amazon. It gets very hot quickly and stays that way for a long time (I don't recommend taking it to class because it takes a while to cool off). When you set your iron down to move the quilt top, you place it back in its carriage and that is what keeps it so hot. It also has steam and spray. Definetly worth looking into.

Here is the link

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-NI-L46NR-Cordless-Nonstick-Soleplate/dp/B000MRL9IS/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1215558944&sr=8-1

I have the Maytag cordless iron and it works great but....if I am ironing a quilt top it doesn't hear while ironing. If you have a large piece of fabric or a quilt top, you have to return it to its base periodically to heat up, takes a couple minutes. I found that frustrating. I did return it to its base to adjust the fabric but found it not ready to iron when I was. I paid $120(?) for it and was disappointed. It did heat and steam well, just not constantly. The Panasonic is less expensive and so may be worth the try. I ended up buying a cheap Sunbeam to use. At least it is hot as long as I want. That is why I am also interested in the EuroSteam. Just seeing if there are any drawbacks besides price.

Hi there,

I'm late to chime in on this topic, but here's my 2 cents. Julia, please don't hate me, but I don't like the Olisio iron we have at the shop! It frustrates me that it's always off when I want it on, it's not hot enough, and there's not nearly enough steam. Okay, so I'm spoiled, my home iron is a Rowenta steam generator with the tank on the floor. That puppy could steam the wrinkles out of a Shar Pei dog!

Beth

Roberta,

I am looking for an iron to take to classes. I use a shark now and love it but it is a problem to packup when class is over. I'm assuming that you dump the water reservoir before you move it. Do you know if it cools off sufficiently to put in the case and take home after about 10-15 cooldown time?

If your going to look at a Panasonic google their website. I ordered their N!-L70Sr from Amazon last week, it has slightly more power on their base to heat up faster & also now have a jet steam button. My mistake I did not check E Bay beofre I ordered it, I could have bought it for $16.00 cheaper. I have been using a cheap cordless iron I bought at Big Lots for $25.00 I have used for two years & its keeps falling apart, but it was a cheap way to see if I liked cordless irons & I love it. Il let you know how I like the new iron, but Amazon ,Panasonics cheaper model does have good feedback positive & negative.

Archived