design board tips??

Another newbie question.....

Have spent my first week PPP'ing and things are going well. Yesterday put some design boards on to try. Noticed that not all the corners were exactly smooth and wonderful. Any tips as to the best way to handle the design boards for the smoothest lines, corners, curves, & stitches? Are some boards better than others. Haven't purchased for the CL yet ($$$) but plan to as soon as I can. I purchased an R&S set for my first try. I also want to get the topper. I know these items will help me get going while learning to do great pantos and free-motion. Any and all hints are appreciated!!

Loving my Millie;);)

Meg:cool:

The only board that I have is the circle swirls from R&S. I'm using it on a QVS. I have the pattern grid so I keep using that to line up my circles and it's working well. From what I've read (mostly from MB - they should give her a commission) I'd like to get the CL. Just wish it didn't cost so much. I have an HQ16 and I really want to get an APQS so I'm not sure I want to sink the $$'s for the CL on this machine.

Don't know what if any help my rambling has been.

Coleen

With the Topper, and using the RS boards on the topper, I have to be careful to NOT manhandle the stylus.. I use SR, set about 11, and slow when I come to a point or a corner and seem to be doing better.. be careful that the holder doesn't move on the rails.. I use a piece of the noslip rubber waffle stuff under the end by my unit on the roller by the belly, and a clamp to hold the gold end so it won't scoot back and forth. I am finding after quite a bit of use of both brand boards, I seldom need the waffle and clamp now.. just when I first start and have to make myself relax and slow down.

Good stitching..

RitaR

Coleen,

Sorry to be a little over zealous about the CL, it's just that I have purchased so stinking many tools after watching a demo or hearing how great they are...only to find out that I am not so great at using them. Not that the tool is bad, but I am not creative at all!! I can actually use the CL, as I am sure I could use any other design board....this is just the one I have. I will try not to be so over the top :)

Mary Beth,

I'm right there with you purchasing books and videos that I'm hoping will make me better. What "I" really need to do is practice.

I didn't mean anything with my comment about the CL and your enthusiasm for it. I don't think that you're over zealous about the CL, you do some amazing things with it.

You seem to come up so many ways to use it, I think it's great. I love to look at your quilts. You are an inspiration to me.

I still think that they should give you a commission. You're a great spokeswoman for their product.

If I had the machine of my dreams - either the Freedom SR or the Milennium- I'd be buying the CL for it. I'm just not sure if I want to spend the $ to get one for the HQ.

Please keep on sharing your amazing work with us and continue to love your CL. It seems worthy of the praise.

And you are too creative!!

Coleen

Coleen,

Funny you should say how expensive the CL is. I had the HF and for the life of me I couldn't "get it". I had detrermined that I was going to use it no matter what and that I was not going to let it set there another 3 years and collect dust. But when I would try, it would take me forever to put a circle on the quilt and then I couldn't get the ends to meet up just right. I also tried cross hatching and I was really bad with that. I really appreciate those that have the HF and do such amazing things with it.

Anyway...back to my story...I posted a message on the CL thread saying that the CL was just too expensive and I couldn't afford it. Then within just a few months I decided to sell my HF, and if I did, I would purchase the CL. It is funny to go back and read my old post saying I couldn't afford it, then here I am posting messages of how much I love my CL. My HF sold very fast - locally, so no shipping - yippee...

I didn't take offense to your comments. If just made me think maybe I get a little too excited about the fact that even I can quilt too :)

And I have bought rulers, and templates, and stencils and books and some of them, I never even touch. And when I pay more than $10 for something that is useless to me....it burns me up!! My quilting business does not support the high cost of some of these wonder tools.

As for the things I do with the CL. It goes back to the cost of equipment. If I am going to pay the money for the equipment, I want to get my money's worth! I am going to put those designs everywhere I can so that I feel like the tool is paying for it's self. And, with the CL it is easy to use, so it doesn't stress me out and make me what to place a classifiied ad trying to sell my Millie :)

As for a commission....that is a nice thought :D I enjoy working with Michael and Kay. Even during MQS was invited to spend time with them in their booth and I was able to talk with a few people who were considering the CL or who already had the CL and that was so much fun. I'm looking forward to next year and hopefully spending some time with them again...and maybe the quilting machine will be working better so we can whip out some QOV.

When you get ready to move up to a longarm...keep the CL in mind...even try it out at one the big shows to see what you think.

Morning girls,

Love listening to the 2 of you.......... Mary Beth, the CL is on my list because of you!:D You should get a commission. Have loved your quilts. Also want the topper so that I can do things from the front - maybe you should get that also and make commissions there - LOL!

Thanks to everyone for the tips - know they will help.

I don't have the Topper...but I do recommend it. I know Linda Rech and remember talking to her about the Topper when I was visiting all of my favorite West Cost gals and guys in April...We discussed this contraption that her DH had come up with....seems he is some kind of genious :) I told her she needed to get it on the market like yesterday....I think she must have already been working on it, I don't think it was because of my begging her to get it out there that they did it :) The Topper is on my list also...just trying to regroup my finances after MQS.

I'm also in the market for a CL:) After seeing all the beautifully quilted quilts made using the CL on this forum, I can hardly wait to get mine. Just trying decide where to start cuz I can't have them all right now:P

My HB thought it was expensive too, until I told him the price of a computerized system. Now he thinks it's a real bargain and keeps after me to order it. Actually he's sweating bullets, thinks that I want a computerized machine instead of the CL, which I don't.

I really love the freedom of physically quilting it myself. Although I'm very glad to have the option of computerized quilting if ever I would need or want it someday.

LA Quilting just seems to be the artistic "carrot" I need, it gets me though the stressfull days at work.

So everyone...Please Keep posting your CL "Eye Candy" for all of us CL dreamers to see;)

Terry

Terry,

You will find that with the easy payment system for the CL, it is really no big deal...you will have it paid for in no time.

I know what you mean about choosing a template. I printed off the list of tempates from the CL website and have highlighted in one color the templates that I have, another color the wants, and another color the templates that my friend Jeannie has that I can borrow.

Mary Beth,

I'm kind of thinking that I might just do it. When you start adding all the price of the boards and how many times you keep having to move them it just might be worth it.

I'm also thinking (Yes, I think too much sometimes) that the templates have more than one use or design. Am I correct?

Also there is the payment plan and hopefully when I sell the HQ for my dream machine, I can sell the CL as well. At least that might be a bit of an inducement to buy my machine.

What do ya think? I know, you don't want to spend my money for me.

Coleen

Coleen,

Yes, some of the templates do have multiple patterns, some do not, so you would need to take a look at the web site and decide which one you like and which ones you think would be a best seller for your quilting. You can call Micheal & Kay and talk to them, they are very helpful, too. Just a word of warning...don't think out loud, Michael can hear you :P:D

Yes, there is a cost involved, but they do have the payment plan :) Which is a good thing...but once you are hooked...it could be a bad thing :P:D - just practice self-control!!

As far as selling the CL when you get the machine of your dreams. I can't tell you that it will sell...but I have not heard of anyone having a hard time selling one. Now, don't chisle that in stone and say, "MB said it would sell!" Check out some of the ads posted on the longarm sites for "CL for salel". I think usually people sell them because they are moving on to computer systems and don't need them any longer. Check out the sites and see how long it took them to sell.

Then, when you get that machine of your dreams...be sure to call Michael to order your new CL!!

Please, don't ask me to spend your money...I would be only more than happy to do so :D

Mary Beth,

I have noticed that there are 2 lengths listed for some of the boards - E2E type. What size table do you have and what size (length) boards did you get? Do you have to move any boards to finish a row or have you purchased these to fill the length of your table?

Ck'ed out the payment plan - really is a good one and may take advantage.

thanks,

Meg,

I have a 14' table...kind of over kill :D I would go smaller, but have had 2 quilts that have needed the space so I'll just keep it...

Anyway, I think the smaller boards are for the mid arm machines, such as Lenni, but I may be nuts. You can call Michael and talk to him, he is very user friendly :) and really knows his stuff. Michael and Kay are very nice and very, very helpful. He won't try to sell till you are ready to buy. Just give him a call and visit about what you are thinking about and he will explain everything.

Coleen...I'm on the edge of my chair ;)

Just so's not to confuse the issue, the Lenni is not a mid arm machine. Along with the Liberty and Discovery it has a 20" throat and is a long arm machine.

My understanding is the different board sizes are length of table specific, not throat.

The smaller boards may well be designed for a shorter table, not smaller machine. Larger machines are also run on shorter tables.

I have a CL but don't possess any boards. I have just acquired the Baptist Fan on long loan. That was used on a 14ft table so will be way too long for my 10ft . It will be interesting to work out how it goes together when I get round to it.

Thanks Chris, I am only familiar with the Millie since that is what I own....I just call Michael up and tell him what board I am "thining" about and ta-da...it is in the mail :D (he doesn't just send it to me...I usually order it :)). He has my table size and machine type in his computer so he just looks me up and away we go.

And how are you doing with your CL...do you like it?? I have not seen pictures posted...you know we like pictures.

I'm with you Mary Beth---I have spent money on rulers etc. that I never use. Time is money since we make our living at this, I just don't have time to fool with moving boards to do a pattern, I just can't imagine doing that. If you add up the cost of some of the boards out there, (enough to fit your table) the cost of the CL isn't out of sync. They are very sturdy and just don't give you problem where they connect. I couldn't do without my CL. Michael has had to remind me that the boards and templates come with directions that I should at least take a look at. I didn't even notice the little holes on the end of the 7 treasures of budda template. I have the pattern grid on my table that I use to move the template if I want and the boards and templates are so easy to use that I just put them on the table and go for it. I admit I may be missing some really good new tools out there but like I said, I totally love the CL and the support from them is wonderful. If you have an idea or would like something special made, Michael will make it for you. I am retiring in a year and a half and the CL is going with me along with my Millie so I can finally do some quilts and treasures for myself. I'm not even considering selling the units. I guess, whoever buys my Millie "way" in the future will get the CL with it. So, Mary Beth, don't feel bad when you get excited about your toys, I do too. When Michael comes out with a new template I feel like those people lining up to get the newest phones.

MB

Yup, I love my CL. Thanks for the hearty recommendation :P !

I've done one quilt using CL designs, not E2E. Considering the quilt itself wasn't pieced fantastically (I was offered it for free, and thought it would make a great practice piece -that's another story), the quilting has brought it up a treat and makes it look much more intricate than it actually is.

I'm looking forward to ordering some more templates to pick up when I'm next over in October.

..........and yes, I do need to post some pictures, maybe starting with a mug shot!

Yippee...another convert!! You will not be sorry! The CL is so, so, easy to use it will shock you. When you get it, just get it on the table and try it. I hear of some who haven't tried it yet because they are afraid of it...no, no, no...it is too easy to use to be afraid of it.

So, what templates did you get?

Archived