Q's about the Millie

BettyBec

I've been indecisive about which machine to buy--the Millenium or the Gammill Classic Plus. Does the constant beeping with the Millie bother anyone? I've been told I'd get used to it, but really? The Hartley fence looks like an important option to make perfect circles. Do others have this and think it's worth the money? Thanks for any input.

I have the Millie and I don't pay the beep any attention. I listen for it, because when it is not beeping I slam on the breaks - so to speak. Too many times I have taken off in non SR mode and didn't want to.

Hartley Fence is a tool like many others. I bought one with my machine and never used it. I was too busy trying to learn to use my Millie and the art of LAing. For me, it was not an important tool to start out with. There are so many other things you will need first....just a personal opinion.

The beeping on the Millie ends up being like a Granfather clock, or living near the Mtrain in Boston. You notice it the first few times, then don't hear it at all.

I never hear my millie over my Ipod. Or my teenagers. Or the dog. Or, even DH. ha

Lisa

This forum is amazing. Thanks everyone who responded so quickly to my question about the beeping when Millie is in SR mode. My husband is wondering if there's some way to disable the dang beeping. . .has anyone done that? I'm trusting, tho, that I will get used to it (don't know if he will).

Also, is APQS coming out with a brand new model soon? Just wondering if I should wait a couple of months.

For safety reasons, APQS does not recommend that you disable the chirp. You can quiet it by lifting the hood and wrapping electrical tape around the chirp box. (How's that for a technical term!)

I bet if you give it a month you will also assimilate the sound--the only time I even notice it is when I have paused to clip threads or do some other chore, and just by touching one button you can turn it off.

Here is a hint--when I answer the phone in my studio, I make sure the SR is chirping so if it is a casual call (not a customer) I can tell them I am busily quilting and will call them back.

As far as new models, the new Millennium is less than a year old. Email APQS and ask them about new models. When the new Milli came out, APQS offered a great trade-in for people wanting to upgrade. Lots took advantage of the deal. Good luck with your new adventure and welcome.

I don't even hear the beep anymore. I haven't learned the Hartley yet, have purchased a book by Myrna Ficken to figure it out as it comes with minimal directions, it seems.

I cannot say too many times how happy I am that I have a Millenium, espcially after reading about other products. This is a no fuss machine built to go the distance.

The chirp was put there for safety reasons. If the machine is sitting still and SR is engaged without a chirping sound to notify that SR is engaged, if you move the machine, the machine will start stitching. It's there for safety so you know that SR is engaged. Honestly, I hardly notice it when I'm quilting.

I listen for the beep before I go to begin quilting...but after that I only hear it if I walk away from the machine. It really is tuned out by the machine and the other noise in the room. 80's music tends to overpower such a little beep! I purchased the Hartley Fence right away, not realizing what I was getting my self into but in the long run I have been glad. Since I was already in learning mode, adding that to the practice list was easy. I think that is a matter of personal choice. I too recommend Myrna's workbook and DVD, she took much of the confusion away for me! Good luck on your decision!:cool:

The beep is good, but I doubt you will mind it because the machine is a dream. I didn't get the Hartley fence, although several people I know have it an love it now that they learned how to use it.

I did get the extended base for ruler work and some rulers.

BettyBec~~~ As far as I know, we aren't coming out with a new machine. Although we did just upgrade the Millie earlier this year. Better lights, lighter head and moved the power switch. I'm really happy that I upgraded to the new Millie. Although my eight year old Millie was still wonderful in every way. :)

Linda~~Love your photo! BTW, DD wants to go to CNU for a look around before she starts her senior year. I'll have to take her down soon. :)

Back to quilting...

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Millie for only 3 1/2 weeks and already the beep is a non issue when actually stitching. Love it telling me that I am SR mode and ready to go.

Before the Hartley - which I did get and have not used yet, I would recommend a little ruler for SID, a ruler to help with spines (feathers), and maybe a few DVD's for learning lots of techniques - there are several on the market. They are so helpful when you don't have someone to run to.

I love my new Millie and love, love, love the support APQS and this forum provide!

Meg:cool:

I don't hear the beeping (probably tuned it out because I'm listening to "Sex and the City" DVD's) but I love my SR on my millie. I also have the extended base and two rulers and love them. Will have to wait to order the Hartley Fence, too much to learn right now. . .:D

Archived