Is it Custom or is it Freehand?

Since you changed the design to fit the block , I would consider it custom. To me everything is either custom (designed with the piecing in mind) or allover or edge-to-edge (No regard to the piecing).

Freehand to me just means no tools or patterns. It can be either all-over like Meandering magic or custom- for example Darlene Epp's borders and sashings. The other altenatives to freehand are stencils, rulers, templates.

Just my 2 cents worth

I agree, it should fall under the classification of panto...or stencil....

Even custom can use stencils or panto.....to plot out the designs and either use a lazer to follow them or markings....this isn't freehand.

Freehand in my opinion (like that holds water) is where you have no marking at all and just go for it....I personally envey people who can freehand feathers or McTavish....I so need a stencil or panto to get it right.

It is not freehand. Freehand would be something you do without a guide or pattern to follow. However, I think this falls under the "custom" category because you are placing a design into a block specifically for that part of the quilt. Definitely custom. Freehand is completely artistic without anything but your eye, brain and machine doing something without a pattern to follow. Like McTavishing or feathers that meander all over. that is freehand (and custom too)

I too agree with it being custom due to the individual block design.

When I think of pantos I think of an edge to edge pattern going from one side/edge of quilt to the other side/edge of quilt in a continuos movement done from the back of the machine.

Freehand to me is simiular to a panto but done without out any paper pattern and done from the front of the machine.

Custom to me is any individual elements such as block designs, sashing, loose to medium background fills, seperate border designs etc...

Heirloom to me would be a continuation of the custom with fancier tighter background fills, trapunto, lots of detail, lots of dense quilting.

Archived