Perfume On A Pig

Hay Jessie Girl

Can't wait to hang out with you at retreat this year!!!! I will be quilting quite a few more... like a dozen, they are all samples for my new designs that will be appearing at a quilt shop near you LOL No really some will be stencils some are being digitized and I think some will be in paper form... not really sure as always I can never remember who picked what and when it's going to be available... just that I have to do samples before it hits the market...

The Gel Pen's are acid free and stable once they are ironed.... I have not washed any of my samples but we did do testing after classes while I was in Germany .... some of the girls tried different methode of making the quilt sted fast and the sharpy and gel pens held up very well. If you are going to wash your finished product I suggest testing on a small sample using the same fabric and pen that is going to be used in the final project... colour then heat set with an iron or by putting it in a hot drier for 30 min. then wash it and see what happens. There is also a solution that you can use to make it sted fast and will not let it fade and I can't remember it off the top of my head.... I will check my class notes and post it early next week. I do not like to pre treat or post treat with anything as everything I have tested seems to turn the colours and fabric a slight tint or yellow or brown when exposed to heat or sunlight... The bottom line... by the time this stuff fades... I'll be dead... and will not even know about it LOL And if it fades if I ever get around to washing it... then that just tells me it's time to quilt up another one.:P

I would like to start this post by saying that I feel that Sherry is a wonderful quilters with awesome ideas and a great deal of tallent and I respect both her and her work. It saddens me to think that she feels I have copied, stolen, what ever her idea. However I have been adding colour to my quilts since Alexis was 4... she is 9 now. It started as a way to keep her occupied while I quilted. My tools of choice... pencil crayons and gel pens. We tried markers but the where hard to work with, messy and they would bleed on the fabric and into the thread colours. In fact I showed the pencil crayon and gel pens in a class I demoed at Innovations back in 2003 and when APQS hooked up with Compu Quilter (2 or 3 years ago) I showed JoAnn and Cheryl how to colour in the designs using pencil crayons and gel pens on the designs that the compu quilter was stitching out on the in booth samples, we even invited passers by to give it a try. Also my gueisha quilt entered for show at MQS in 2006 has gel pen work, completed long before Sherry showed the APQS rep.s her first marker quilt. I believe the first coloured quilt to hit the industry was done in crayola crayons back in the 80's, then came the paints and dies, the pencil crayon, and so on. Of course my first choice has always been thread on thread, but I have been colouring quilt for quite some time. Actually I have even shown my work on TV mixxing the gel pen work with the thread play. So Sherry I am sorry if you feel I am out to steal your thunder but I can assure you, that is not now or has it ever been the case.

I have a huge amount of respect for Sherry. I also have a huge amount of respect for Sue.

I have a huge amount of respect for many, many of the quilters, teachers (the movers and the shakers) of this industry who have helped to make this quilting industry what it is today; what it will be tomorrow.

The quilting industry is gigantic. It's a multi-million $$$$$$ industry that is growing by leaps and bounds; snowballing into something that is larger than life.

There has been, and will continue to be, endless opportunity for anyone and everyone to be a part of the success of this industry.

What we need is for all of us, no matter how "big" or how "little" we are in our fun quilting world, to help each other to be the best at what we love to do. We can all fulfill our dreams of creativity. There is more than enough space in our quilty world for everyone, no matter who you are, to have your own special niche in the quilty business.

There are lots of little fishies like me who are hungry for the bait that people like Sherry and Sue toss into the big blue ocean for us to gobble up. :)

Please, let's all appreciate and enjoy the fruit, the bait, the opportunities galore that are available and the freedom to create.

Sherry has her own very special gifts to give to our quilting world.

Sue has her own very special gifts to give to our quilting world.

It's all good. There is plenty of room for all of us to do our thing and to be happy and to be successful; no matter if it's the chicken or the egg that came first, who cares. All I care about is that we all become the rungs on the ladder of success for all of us. Sometimes Sherry is the rung and I'm climbing on it. Sometimes Sue is the rung and Sherry is climbing on it. No matter what, there's plenty of room on this ladder for you and me and everyone who wants to climb aboard.

Let's all make it good, positive, happy, supportive, fun. Step back and look at the big picture here.

Happy quilting everyone. :)

Hay Myrna!!!

Hows the show going??? Are you still there or is it over?? I hear it was a huge show with lots of vendors and great classes. Who worked the booth with you? I miss being on the road... I don't think I travel again until the mid or end of Sept. I will have cabin fever by then for sure:P Maybe Heidi will call me out of the blue and fly me away. What show are you working next? Need any help LOL I could be packed in seconds!!! Oh wait I think I have a bag of show cloths already packed and ready to go... know all I need is a flight and a location LOL:P

Sue....never mind flyin' away so soon! How about more classes from you, right here in our own backyard!

I really enjoyed the recent classes with yourself and Karen McTavish - with only "hours" of experience, instead of the years of experience other participants had, I was still able to understand the *how* as so expertly demonstrated by Karen. Of course, executing the *how* will be a matter of practicing and more practicing., but I liked Karen's adage that you have to put in that "one year", just as she did.

I have to add that the fun dynamics between you and Karen made the whole class scene a lot more fun. While you're both internationally recognized quilters in your own right, right there, in that class, you were simply two interesting women sharing your awesome skills. Of course, now, I wish I'd abandoned the 'newbie' mindset and taken all classes. I didn't, but am so looking forward to your next series.

Hugs,

Carolyn

PS: It was in the driveway when I got home Friday night, with a lovely red bow tied to the front!

Hay Carolyn

I agree with that now more then ever about the practice practic practic but in future classes will be adding the line "and the right tools for the job" Even though Karen and I have been traveling together and helping each other TA each other classes for years I have never taken any of her classes until this year... I thought it would be nice to do the whole cloth class with my mom and Jon and took the day and marked one all out... with no reguard for what was hard or easy... because the truth be told I had no clue... and trust me when I say" it's all hard". My first attempt at cross hatching on a quilt by machine is on the picture you see here... now I am trying to cross hatch on the diag. using my push pull stitch in the ditch methode... YA RIGHT !!! not really work very well... it's too hard:( I am going to finish the one I am working on and then put on my defeat big girl panties and call Myrna and order a base and ruler set... before I do the sample I marked out in Karens class.... my hands arms and back are screaming at that little voice in my head that always says " oh go on just free hand it" Not a good idea for quarter inch diag. cross hatching... who knew??? OK so maybe I am the only one on the planet that didn't know ... but I am learning VERY QUICKLY and with a great deal of " WHAT WHERE YOU THINKING!!!" lol I will post pics even though it is not a pretty sight...so veiw discrection is strongly advised;) LOL That is if I ever get it done :cool:

Hay Caron

The gel pen can be set with an iron so if I wanted to I could block it after heat setting it. I have measured it out top mid and bottom though and it is perfectly squared... I the outer edges down to the backing.... like baisting... before I quilted it... it does not have alot of stitching on it like most of the threat art I do so when it was done it was still good and straight... It's a small quilt... wall hanging... just a demo size to show off the pattern so this one just needs binding and it's good to go.:cool:

Hi Sue

I am still waiting for you to do a dvd on thread painting.(hint hint) I have a plan for a quilt with your thread painting but I am too chicken to try it. I was going to use the embroidery card with your designs but the dealer can no longer get it, and I think I would rather freehand it. I saw you do it on tv and was so intrigued. Wish I lived closer so I could take a class. Oh well.

PamH

• 1 month later...

Sue, I had to check this out after seeing it referred to on another thread. This is so cool! I was trying to figurre out if it was appliqued and stitched or all thread.....cool...it;s gel pen and thread.

Shana thanks for being sp sweet and level headed and honest. Talent abounds and there are always going to be plenty of people who are going to want to learn what those who are great designers and teachers have to offer.

Sylvia....so sorry about your student. CF is a terrible disease. Have 2 friends who each lost a child to CF and another whose son had a lung transplant 5 yrs ago. He's doing great.

Hay girls

This one was designed to be made into a stencil (coming soon) and to be digitized whatch JoAnn Hoffman's site, and will also come in a paper pattern by Golden Threads, so I had to quilt some of them up for booth displays. I love working with the gel pens they are so easy to control, you can colour before or after you stitch... I like to colour first then stitch. You can also threads art or do small amounts of stitching inside the design to add texture to the gel'd areas. The bottom line is play with a sample and just have fun, try adding marker or glitter gel tones to add depth or glitter or both and then post your sample to share it with us. I am hoping to do a full size quilt with a combination of all my new heart designs, but needed to practice the cross hatching to see if I could do it LOL. For anyone following the post The Good The Bad and The Ugly... my base has arrived but I still have to pick a ruler and order it to try it out. I have posted finished pics of that quilt, but there is no gel pen work on.:P

Archived