Pinwheels - Need Ideas

That is a beautiful quilt. I would definitely do something to give the pinwheels an illusion of circular movement, to echo the circles in the applique blocks. I would do a spinning feather type thing in the big ones and then maybe just a spiral in each of the small ones.

The sway border is lovely. Have you decided what to do there?

Be sure to post pictures when you get it finished.

Wow, I like this quilt!! For the borders, I would SID around the swag/leafy things, then use your channel locks and do some piano key. I love to make pinwheels looks like they are really spinning, if you could put some spirals or circle on them, it would give them movement. Is the center blocks and the blocks across the top and corners appliqued? Do a background fill like McTavishing.

Shana, I remember seeing those pinwheels on your quilt - I saved several photos from that quilt for inspiration.

I'm sure that you will be doing lots of ruler work on that border and applique head. There are so many pinwheels, I think that I would try to do some free-mo on those pinwheels. I like Shana's idea. I have also seen several pinwheels ideas in Diana Phillips Flower Power book. Like Teresa and MB said, you want that circular movement to be emphasized. I hope that you post photos when you are done.

Archived