A Thread question

Patty Jo, you didn't say what brand the serger thread was. I have some really really slubby thin stuff and that breaks pretty easily but I use Maxi-lock lots and lots and I love it. It is way tougher than King Tut and lots of other threads like Rainbows, you can really tighten the tension down on the Maxi-lock before it will break. And it comes in lots of other colors which I eventually want to get more of, I only have one Swirls color that I love and have used a couple of times. I recently was in Florida and talked and observed a longarm quilter who had an older Gammill with a Statler stitcher hooked up to it. I noticed that she had a whole thread holder full of King Tut and asked how she liked it. Her reply was that she couldn't use it on her machine, she ONLY used Perma Core threads and I looked, she had no varigated or anything. And all she did was pantos and she was busy!!! I thought of my thread collection and the kind of money I spend on thread with a bit of envy as she obviously made lots more money on her quilts than I do. But when I got home I really thought about it, I would be sooooo bored if all I could do was pantos and use Perma Core. So I continue to buy lots of different kinds of threads as well as Maxi-lock. I love the white and naturals and use them most days on certain parts of a quilt. Besides, I have no overhead so Rog figured out that I still make more money than her.

So here's the real deal, I always, and I am sure most of those on this forum, audition which thread that should be used on a quilt. If you think just a solid color is best suited for a quilt or even just part of it I would use the serger thread that you got, absolutely no question about it. I have used alot of different serger threads on lots of quilts that we have around the house and not one of them has any places that the thread has let loose or snapped and some of them get washed every week!

Hope that helps, but I still would like to know the brand name because I might be familiar with it as there are a couple of serger threads that I have used that are not as good as Maxi-lock.

Cher

thank you Cher and all of those who have jumped in here. Some of them are marked Maxi-lock, but there are many different brands, some without any lable at all. I've decided that if the color works, I'll give it a go and if it starts breaking or not stitching well, I'll take it off my Millie, but maybe still use it in my DM for piecing. I guess some of my Mom's "make do or do without" theory on life has taken hold. I just want to use what I have or have been given before I go out and spend good money just because someone says I should!! OK, I'm cheap.....But I'm not easy!!:P

Use what ever works for you but if its going on to somebody elses quilt tell them first, that way theres no surprises.

I've a cone of maxi-lock verigated sittting there waiting for a turn. I heard all good things about it. It was sold to me as "quilting quality" thread. Will wait and see.

For charity quilts that have 100% poly wadding I use 100% poly thread that I already have. I figure that my donated time is valuable enough. If the colour is right and it runs smoothly than it's all good.

As for the durability of the poly, the childrens clothes I used to make I recall the bums, knees & elbows would give up way before my stitching did. The PJs I made were outgrown, passed on to a friend whos 4 children wore them aswell. So I guess it comes down to the quality of the thread. And as with all things, I've found that quality is not always determined by price.

cheers

Stephanie,

Thanks for the contribution to this topic. I think that some people are OK with it and some aren't , but I'm going to try and use it on quilts that I do for donations for sure, and if I need a specific colors that is in the Maxi-Lock thread, then I'll use it. ;)

This discussion came up on the Gammill forum recently and for the most part, as I remember, the more experienced quilters seemed to recommend not using serger thread for LA quilting.

I've not been LAing so my experience comes from my 50+ tears as a seamstress. Serger thread is linty and even if the threads hold up during use I would consider how much your willing to be diligent about cleaning the fuzz out of your machine. Also, look at the appearance of the thread. Is it dull or slubby? I agree that Maxi-loc is a good quality serger thread, it's all I use for serging.

I, personally, wouldn't use it in my DM...lint and dust are enemies of computer works. I have used it for basting by hand as it is cheaper than good sewing thread and will break easily if I'm in a hurry.

Notice the last part of that statement. However, if you want to give it a try and it works for you go for it.

We all have our own limits of what we find acceptable and it may vary for different things.

Consider your time investment in the project as well. How much are you worth?

Marlette...when you have a linty thread...just put a bunch of "Sewers Aid" on it....not only will it lub the threads, but cuts down on the lint....the silicone lub will make the tiny fibers lay down and they don't break off or get shaved off in the needle.

There are a lot of threads out there that the Gammil machines can't use (not won't use...can't use, I understand that the hook assembly is that much different than ours that they have trouble with threads)....hense the reason that LAVA was invented....they can't use the KingTut or the Rainbow threads from Superior.....so I can imagine that they as Gammil owners were having problems with Serger Threads, when I first started over 11 years ago...that's the only thread we could get...it does lint up, but that's what I have a compressor for, and stock in "Sewers Aid" (;))...it doesn't hurt the hook or the bobbin, just a bit more work for me. :)

Everyone has an opinion, and it will never be the same answer from anyone....but if you have the threads laying around...or you see a color that would just be perfect and you can't find it in another thread line.....I personally would use it...lint or no lint....

Now would I go buy a ton of it and use it exclusively...well NO, not now that I have the lovely threads meant for a LA, but I do use if when I need too, and I have never had a problem. It does have a bit more lint than say Superior, but it makes the same amount of lint as Signature (solids are worse than the varigated), YLI, or even STAR, not to mention the Gutterman's or the Mettlers that I use to use years ago...so why not use it up and not waste the money that you spent for the threads regardless if it was for a serger or a DSM.

Yep, I agree with Bonnie, use it up, don't waste more money on what you don't need. And I honestly don't notice more lint when I use my Maxi-lock than with other threads but boy is the Sewers Aid a good trip, thank Bonnie!

My daughter took the quilts that I "practised" on when I first got my machine (I just made her promise not to show them to anyone, especially ones where I had backwards feathers! and poor stitching designs) and she has washed them again and again clean freak that she is. They still are held together great and boy did I use whatever cheap stuff I had to practise! And worse, now I get to see those ugly things again and again because the kids are starting to drag them around with them so they bring their own "blankees" when they come to visit! I can't believe how bad they look, but hey, not one thread has snapped!!!

Cher

I have used serging thread many times for la quilting. I also use embroidery thread (a lot!) Hemingworth is the BEST. It comes in 300 colors and the shimmer is beautiful. I use a large stitch so that the color and shine really show. I also have no trouble with the tension, and I can use any thread in the bobbin. The best part about longarm quilting is that the rules are sooo easy to break and everyone's rules are all so different!

Archived