A Thread question

I just got what I think is a really nice gift from a lady. she was at a yard sale and it was about over, the Yard Sale owner told her to take anything she wanted as all the stuff that was left was going to be donated. She spotted 5 Gallon Zip lock bags filled with cone thread for a serger. She thought of me (I don't own a serger, but she knew that I use cone thread) and brought it to me. Is this thread ok to use. I know that Sue Patton is the Thread Queen the last time I checked and she says you can use any thread, but I also have a friend that says no, this thread is only used for sergers. Anyone out there that has used this thread and is it ok??? :o

Patty Jo,

Surger thread is only 2 ply so the only problem you would have is if this is going to be used on a utility quilt with lots of love and washing then it might not hold up as much. Since a serger is a high speed machine I wouldn't think that the thread would break on the long arm and I also think there are lots of LA's that use serger thread like Maxilock but yes Sue is the Queen of thread!

Ask JudyL her opinion. She uses this thread all the time. The last time I talked with JudyL, she was telling me of the lady that turned her onto using this thread stating that her children or grandchildren have jumped on these quilts while on a bed and they had been washed several times, and they were still going strong.

When you think about the speed of a serger and the speed of a longarm, doesn't seem too differnt to me. However, I think because of the ply, I would not want to use it.

I have heard of many longarmers using serger threads however I would definitely caution against it. I have seen

some of those quilts and the ones I have seen the quilting is not holding up. When used as a serger thread, most of the seams are using 3,4,5 or more threads on each seam and when we are longarming we are only using one thread so commen sense says it probably won't hold up.

Course you can always use that thread for other purposes such as basting your quilt to your leaders..........

tj

yepper when I started there weren't cone thread available and that's all I used for the first 6 years of quilting....by that time I guess the other threads started to come out, but I didn't know about them...I was so into serger thread I just didn't look for anything else.....didn't have any customers cusing me out because the threads didn't hold up...

I would sure use it again if I needed a certain color....and still have tons left.

I have a ton of the stuff as well, from my serger days. Never used it on my liberty but I do use it to piece my quilt tops and it holds up just fine to all of the constant washings that they go through due to kids and dogs. I don't like to let anything go to waste if I can help it.

The thread police got ahold of everyone and told them it wasn't cool to use plain old threads, some of us that did...still do, but we don't say it out loud....kinda like a person is on a diet....eating bad food in the closet.

The Serger threads some in so many beautiful colors now days...even varigated...and its all made by the same company that makes Signature threads.... Serger threads only have two strands as mentioned before, but they are pretty thick compared to the three that Signature has...so its the same weight, but one strand short.

Thanks ladies - (no gents have replied) - I first thought that I would use it to piece with, but then I know of one LA'r that uses this, but another said NOOO, not for quilting, so I thought that I would put it out there for comments. I don't see any reason that I couldn't use this on a wall hanging or something that wouldn't get a lot of wear and tear!! Thanks for all the info.

Bonnie - I can't imagion anyone cusing you out, your too kind hearted for that!:D And did you say "One Strand Short?" Or One Brick Short ? I personally have an elevator problem at times! OK, I'll stop now.

Originally posted by PattyJo

Bonnie - I can't imagion anyone cusing you out, your too kind hearted for that!:D And did you say "One Strand Short?" Or One Brick Short ? I personally have an elevator problem at times! OK, I'll stop now.

Yeah, "One Strand Short" I think I will continue to use that one...like it.

OH, Patty Jo....I have had serveral customers cus me out...pretty badly....one swore I had just totally ruined her quilt....she took it to another quilter...she told her that it was fine and to just leave it alone...didn't like that answer so she took it across state and had another quilter look at it she also told to leave it alone...still didn't like the answer so she took it yet to another quilter who said okay, I think I can do better than that so she took ALL my thread off requilted it and then the lady yelled at her as well because she did a worst job (not true) than mine was.....She did try to sue the third lady, but didn't get very far.....so ya I've been yelled at.

Bonnie--you have had some interesting drama (and trauma) in your illustrious career! Maybe you need to write a pamphlet on PITAs! But we wouldn't want the stories to scare anyone away from the fun of this business!

I have used Maxi-lock successfully. It says serger thread on the cone, but is plenty strong enough for a longarm.

I shy away from "overlock" thread though--made to cover the edges and be stitched close together.

Maxi-lock is linty. It is made by Signature and the Swirls have some nice color combos. Cheap too at Joann's.

Thanks for all your comments. I have a large stash of overlocker thread and now feel confident to go out and audition a few!

On another thread, does anyone use the clear nylon instead of monopoly?

I recently attended a thread presenation where it was suggested that nylon would go brittle over time and disintegrate.

Is this just another old wives tale?

Anyone had any experience with it?

Regards,

Judy

That is true...the clear nylon threads will go bad after a few years and start to pop....that is why the Superior MonoPoly is one of the really good ones...there are several, but the generic stuff that you get like at JoAnn's will breakdown with the UV light and it will fall apart.

Not worth the trouble to quilt something if you know that it might do that. Also the generic stuff can't take a hot iron should you need to use one on it...where MonoPoly will.

I have been using my cone thread up by using it to do my practice with. I am even putting it in the bobbin! It is working just fine! And I'm talking the really cheap stuff from Jo Ann's! I have used the Maxi-Loc on a real quilt. I used that before I got my LA on my DM when quilting and the quilts are still just fine. They are lap quilts that get used allot and washed allot. I love the colors that Maxi-Loc has and especially the varigated ones! seems to me that they work just fine, and they are cheaper than Superior.

Ladies

Since we are on the topic of thread has any one here used "Gutterman So Fine" thread,,, it comes on extra big cones as well as smaller cones...

I have some cones of it,,and was wondering if it will hold up on everyday use of quilts,,,

Wilma:P

Originally posted by lee

Since we are on the topic of thread has any one here used "Gutterman So Fine" thread,,, Wilma:P

NO, but I have uses their regular threads.....I would try it on a small quilt and see what happens. If it doesn't weather the first wash ya know its not going to hold up well. Their regular dress thread is a wonderful thread to use....I honestly have used everything...from just plain ol' Coat and Clark dress thread to Gutterman....and some of that is almost 20 years old, and everything else in between...Even went to far to use Embroidery threads...both poly and rayon...they were about the only thing I could get that was on a larger cone.

Until YLI and Signature threads hit the quilting market, there wasn't anything else readily available to me....didn't know about mail orders and didn't how threads reacted to the powerful Longarm...it was all a huge self-taught adventure believe me.

AND then Superior Threads came to Reno with a National Quilting show...I think it was about 1997 or 1998 and things changed a whole lot for me....

Well, after hearing all of the comments, I'm using some Maxi-loc on a little Panel quilt that I'm making for a newborn litttle girls' Baby Shower. It seems to be doing fine. I've had 1 break, when I switched directions quickly, but then some of my SoFine and KingTut has broken too. So hopefully, this quilt will make it thru her babyhood. I looked at the thread stitched out and it looks sturdier than the quilts from china's thread! ;)

Hi Patty Jo

I have never used serger thread but I have a friend with an Ultimate I and she rarely uses anything else for utility quilts and edge to edge stuff. Many of her quilts get well used by small grandchildren and she isn't suffering from thread breaks or problems down the line.

You're right, the quilt police say you shouldn't do it but this is a democracy and I don't remember voting for them . . .;)

Archived