Need a class

Okay all. I really need to take a class. I mostly need just a hands on class with another human so I can get some pointers. What would you suggest? I am a self-taught quilter and am new to the LA. Unfortunately, I am not personally aquanted with anyone else who is a quilter. I am willing to travel if needed. Just need some suggestions on where to go to get a good overview of the basics. I feel as I am wasting a lot of time making mistakes and redoing things because I don't know enough. Thanks for any suggestions. (I am not ready for any formal classes like you all participate in, just something hands on and basic.)

APQS dealer near you? Michigan: DeLoa Jones? Debbie Cadwallender? Both are in Michigan. Both probably teach classes. Give them a call.

Here's their contact info:

http://www.apqs.com/dealers.php?country=us&stateprovince=Michigan

Another thing that is terrific is to buy some of the basic DVDs that are produced. For example:

Myrna Ficken http://aquilterschoice.danemcoweb.com/shop/product/beginning-longarm-quilting/

Kim Brunner https://www.canadianlongarmsupplies.com/index.php?crn=352

I have both of these "beginner" DVDs and I gotta tell ya...THEY ARE BOTH AWESOME!!!

Both cover completely different things, but both are basic, beginner DVDs. :)

Myrna Ficken's Begginer quilting DVD is the BEST!! I watched it lots before I even got my machine, and it wasn't so intimidating when I did get it! I have learned ALLOT from her video and I am still watching it and still learning from it. WELL worth the money!!!! Just like being in the classroom!!

Thanks soooo much for all of your suggestions. I just scheduled a class with Debbie Cadwallender for the 22nd. I really wanted to go to Camp Mowana, but was afraid I was too much of a newbie. Think I will call and check that out as well. And, Myrna's DVD is on my list. Thanks again. You are all great!

Don't be worried about being too much of a newbie for Camp Mowana! LOL you can learn so much! I had a blast and like I said I only had my machine for 5 weeks! Quilt me a flower Garden would be highly recommended. I even took a class from Sue Patten and her stuff scared the tar out of me but she was gentle on me! I learned a ton!

Peglu, I am in the tri-state area of MI. 15 miles from Ohio and Indiana. If you look on the map look for Hillsdale. My DH likes to point to his hand and say we live in the carpel tunnel area...:) I also own a quilt shop which is fun but hard when you are fabicholic, getting better, haven't tried the 12 step program yet.

Your welcome anytime.

shana, Thanks for the plug!! Yes, we both (DeLoa and I) teach. There is still space in the beginners class on the 22nd of August. I strongly recommend that new owners take this class from someone. It's free to people purchasing a machine thru APQS and all Authorized dealers. You will gain a bundle of info and hints and get lots of questions answered. Sort of fill in the blank spaces. You should already know the basics of your machine I.e. Buttons, fabric advance, loaded a practice quilt or 2 or 3 but this class is designed to help with things like lining things up, quilting ideas, interlocking pantos business help and much much more. FYI I've been quilting on a longarm for over 10 years and learned a lot in those years!!!

Looking forward to meeting you Peglu!!!

Peggy...... one newbie to another.

For what it is worth - the DVD's have been a huge help to me. The ones I have liked the best are the two Shana recommended plus anything by Pam Clark. They are great and really got me going. I also was lucky enough to have a couple of hands-on classes prior to my purchase so I think you are going in the right direction. I personally have already learned that this toy is taking over my life right now. I told my DH that I will be glad when I know how to LA well enough that I don't feel everything is this huge project and I can balance my life out again. Glad I knew ahead of time that this would take lots of time and that I would have to put some real work in. Good luck and keep me apprised of your progress.

Meg:cool:

I also want to say how beneficial the class is to new owners.. It not only covers the loading of a sandwich, to usual cleaning and lubing, to stitching.. the various things to check, to try and just learn that others do the same thing you are trying to do, is or was/is such a help to me. Since it's free with the machine, I contacted Ye Olde Forest Quilters, Joanne and Kelley, and took the class, which I admit was as much to meet other quilters and quilt machine owners as to learn.. and boy did I learn.. I use to just slap a practice sandwhich on.. well it looked sloppy, but actually laid flat.. but they taught me to use some pride in my work and make it look better, too, and just that seemed to make a difference..( Bet they didn't even realize they taught me that) Like the difference in wearing a dress to work in an office, compared to wearing blue jeans and tie-dye shirts.. look better, feel better, do better, the day goes better, and the same with quilting, and taking the class.. it all helps and every little thing that helps makes it easier and more fun.

go for it and enjoy, have fun.. it's wonderful.. though tense.. LOL

RitaR

Archived