Buying a used machine

Hi All!

There is a used machine for sale very close to my house. It is an Ultimate 1, bought used in 2002, but not used much since then. I am interested in going to see it, however it does not have a stitch regulator. Now I don't know if I would just be doing hobbie/family quilting... or maybe enjoy it enough to do business, I don't know. But is it best to just start out with a machine that already has a SR, or learn on one without it? Is it more of a personal preference, or would I really need it for some things?

Evy :)

Evy,

I originally had a machine that did not have a SR and I was able to do everything on it. As a matter of fact Sue Patten doesn't have a SR machine, or at least she didn't have one last time we talked, so it is very possible to do whatever you want without one. On the other hand I now have a SR and use it a lot. As a matter of fact I've gotten very lazy with it. It is much quicker for some reason to stitch without the SR on. I am trying to force myself to not use it unless I have to. It is wonderful for ruler work though.

I use my SR all the time, but when I was having problems with it awhile back, I had to stitch without it. It forced me to go at a consistent speed, which is really better to do, even with a SR. It was also easier to move the machine as the SR introduces some drag. If the price is right, non-SR should be fine. A local quilter by me doesn't have SR and she does fabulous work. It's the artist that counts, not always the tools...

Julia

Evy,

I have an Ult II for sale (info on a previous post) for $3900, and it still is available. It doesn't have a stitch regulator, but this is the machine I learned on so you just get used to it. I quilted about 70-80 quilts on it and decided to upgrade but some days do have buyer's remorse, as there wasn't as much to remember on the old machine. I learned to do free hand at the beginning and liked it enough I never learned pantos, though I suppose I should some day. I live in Excelsior, which is the SW corner of Minneapolis area. I was also going to comment that Sue Patten doesn't have a SR, and I noticed several instructors at Kansas City turned off their SR when they wanted to go faster.

Sharon G

952-474-1155

I think you will never regret "being forced to" learn to do it well without a stitch regulator. It's kind of like I'm glad I learned to drive a stick shift and now have the luxury of an automatic transmission but can still drive both. I'm glad I learned to type on the old fashioned typewriters and now the computer keyboard is a lark, although I use my old Smith Corona for a quick label or something like that.

The SR is an unbelievable luxury, but you will never regret being able to do both equally well whenever the situation demands it.

A many Thanks to everyone for their thoughts and advice on my pondering over this whole SR thing! I've done so many quilts on my DM, and always produced nice stitch length (with alot of practice over time!) that I shouldn't struggle too bad without a SR! Of course with a DM you're moving the quilt, or should I say, fighting a bear! with a LA, you're moving the machine... so I'm sure I'd feel spoiled even with no SR!!! :D:D:D Thanks again everyone!

Evy

Originally posted by hayevymae

Of course with a DM you're moving the quilt, or should I say, fighting a bear! with a LA, you're moving the machine...

Evy...you are to funny. Well in a normal easy world you would think that Longarming would be a piece of cake and maybe a scoop of ice cream....BUT you are so wrong...:P;):o

You will find that in the longarm world we have a different kind of mess....your shoulders won't hurt, but your feet will, your legs will, and your head will....and in some cases the wine will come out and it won't be for a celebration. You will encounter, wonky piecing, wonky sashing, wonky blocks, and my favorite....not enough seam allowance so my foot falls into the quilt and the next thing I know I've sewn myself into the quilt top and have to take 9 hours to get myself out...

Or there are people who don't care if the piecing is good, just that you need to make their quilt a miracle...and there will be the ones with tight center area, and the borders will sag worse than (well that can't be said on this forum), or then the side borders that are tight and a center that looks like Santa layed on his belly and it stayed to his form. Backers to short, batting to short, batting that falls apart, backers made from bad fabric and it falls apart with the first tug.....

I could tell you nightmarish tales that would either curl your hair or make it go straight...all depending on which you are right now....and in some cases even white...just look at my avatar...when I started quilting I was a red head.....

You will love to hate your machine and even be known to threaten to take a hammer to it....but easy...nope that can't be confused with this hobby....

We love what we do...or we would all run and hide and no one would find us.:P:P

LOL!:) I have read alot of nightmarish tales and stories that have straightened my hair and made it go gray! I have learned alot on this blog space... all the frogging, bagging and sagging stories! So I wouldn't by any means ever think LAing would be a piece of cake... don't get me wrong! I don't think I'd ever make LAing a business, I would only do it for myself, so if I have anything wonky, I'd only have myself to blame!:D But if you ever have quilted a queen size quilt and had to fight all that fabric through a six inch throat of a DM, it is like fighting a bear, I'm sure anyone that's ever done it would agree! I guess for me to have it all layed out on a frame would be a nice alternative. Then I can deal with my wonky stuff as it comes along, and probably quilt myself into it as I go along... after reading about your 9 hour dilemma, it wouldn't surprise me if I did the same thing! LOL:P:P:P All you guys on here are great, and I still have a ton of things to learn, but what a great place and great people to learn it from! I'm sure I'll keep everyone posted as to when I buy a machine... then I'm sure I'll be sharing in the nightmarish tales of the LA!!! :P:P:P

I totally understand your wants and I have also done my share of Kings and queens on my DSM...I used up two Brother 1300's and currently have a Janome 1600 DBX that up until last October I did ALL my SID on the DSM.....

Here is a picture of at least one of my whole nothing but SID and it was a KING size ( I think the blocks were like 15inches square)...took me about 5 days to complete because the quilt was quilted with black thread, hard for me to see I could only work while the sun was shining through my window, and I think I still am working out the kinks from my shoulders this was in the spring of 2004...if it hadn't taken the ribbons that it did, I wouldn't have thought it was worth the efforts, but thoughout California quilt shows it took three...so well worth it.

:P

WOW Bonnie! Congratulations! That is BEAUTIFUL!!! And I'm sure the others are too! And alot of work and "wrestling" on a DSM!!! Did you just get your LA in Oct? (I see you have a ULT 2)

Or do you just always do all of your SID on your DSM? And it only took you 5 days? Boy, I'd still be plugging away after 5 weeks! There are 2 machines for sale in my area... one is an ULT 1, and the other an ULT 2... do you have any idea what the difference is?

P.S. I bet those kinks are still lingering... do you have a DH to help work those out???:P

You silly:P...NO I've had my longarm machine since 1997 and up until last October I was operating without a SR....its possible to do SID with a nonSR'd machine, but I had very fussy customers and if I wonked out even a threads width, they would be unhappy, so to keep it perfect I did ALL my SID work on my DSM....

Now I don't have to be so fussy, and I do my SID on the longarm.

I used my DSM as much as I did my Longarm...when I was quilting for others.....they were both my very best friends....

I'm not only a Grandma to three gorgeous GD's, but a Grandma to quilting....I jumped on this forum when it was first invented...back in 2002....I think my membership number is something like 111 ( the site was opened in August of 2002 and I found it in December of that same year), they took those off when they revamped the website last fall. I have been quilting professionally for almost 11 years and have learned the hard way...there weren't any longarming books, classes, or outside help when I got started....the newbies of today, have it pretty easy in comparison.:P

I did one twin quilt on a DSM and that was more than enough for me! Even bought a quilters sewing table and like Evy said it was like "wrestling a bear." My first machine was an old rotary machine that had been stretched and there was no SR. I did do a lot of SID on it but I had to slow it down a lot. It used a router speed control on it! LOL how times have changed. I love my Milli and I'm now forcing myself to turn the SR off. There is more drag when using the SR but when you need it it is wonderful!

Originally posted by hayevymae

There are 2 machines for sale in my area... one is an ULT 1, and the other an ULT 2... do you have any idea what the difference is?

P.S. I bet those kinks are still lingering... do you have a DH to help work those out???:P

Evy....the ULTI is a larger field of sewing than the ULTII.

The ULTI was the top of the line at one time with APQS...it has a one stitch, and a speed control knob, but nothing else (they do not have a SR and I don't think they have a thread cutter) I believe the field of sewing for this machine was like 16-18 inches, but not sure. They have handles that sort of look like the Modern APQS machines.

The ULTII has a on/off knob with a speed control, but only a 13"inch field for sewing you can push 14, but sometimes tight, depending on how big the quilt is. my handles stand straight up and down......

the ULTII's are on wooden frames,

the ULTI's are on metal frames.

Both can be upgraded with after market SR's, but once that happens you will never be able to send the machines back to APQS for work....you can still get parts, but they won't work on the machines, so you will need to be able to do it yourself, or know someone who can. Only down side of that.

Both machines are work horses, and with care can last a long long time....if you are looking for the larger sewing area...I would go for the ULTI if not the ULTII will give you years of pleasure.

They are both great learning machines. Dawn C, I believe still has her original ULTI and has never upgraded.... and if I remember right she got hers in 1996 or 97.... (Dawn am I right here), and she has a box full of ribbons....so see you really don't need a SR, it just comes in handy now and then.:P

Thanks for the info Bonnie, I appreciate it! The ULT 1 is a bit more (1,100.00 more) then the ULT2... but now it's to find the space! So I'll be putting some very nice exercise equipment on Craig's List to make room... I've been a personal trainer for almost 23 years (in my spare time) and really have no desire to do it anymore. So I guess you could say I've been a grandma to that! Along with being a grandma to my 2 grandsons! :D

Yuck Excerise....that is a nasty nasty 8 letter word. I should, but I don't, would rather wash windows, and I have a top end treadmill in my house....Yes, I use, it, but NOT AS MUCH as I should.

Good luck in whatever you decide....I do understand its a huge investment, and like the treadmill, I do feel guilty when I don't use it like I thought I would.

In the mean time.....stick around, you might decide you like the place.

Wash Windows? What's that??? LOL!!! I for sure want to sell this stuff.... I have a gym membership, and I do a Russian Kettlebell class twice a week... and I really don't train people in my home anymore... so there it sits! Where a beautiful LA could be sitting instead!!! And you know, I like this place... I think you guys are stuck with me!!!

:D Evy

Bonnie,

Yep, I still use my Ultimate I. I bought it in 1994.

Hayevymae,

If price is a huge concern, the Ultimate II will work just fine. However, the spoon foot on Ultimate II's makes it more difficult (though not impossible) to stitch in the ditch. And Bonnie's right about more throat space for quilting. Depending on the year of the Ultimate I and the table it comes with, the handles could be curved or upright. It also may or may not have a lower thread cutter, as that is an option that the previous owner may have added.

If there were one feature I wouldn't want to give up on my Ultimate I, it would be the single stitch button. When I first purchased my machine, the feature didn't exist. When APQS came out with that, I was first in line to get it added! I hated having to hand-crank the fly wheel to do single stitches. (On an Ultimate II, there is no needle positioner, so you will need to hand crank the wheel as well, or get good at a quick "on-off" touch of the start button.

While I could say that I love exercising (and I certainly could use more of it), I think you'll have much more fun with a long arm! :)

Thank You Dawn!

It's good to know all these little things that make a big differernce! I guess it's not so much the cost, I have thought about the Milli, but can't see spending a huge hunk of my savings unless I'd be in it for a business... so just to quilt for myself, I thought I'd go the used and less expensive route and see if I'd like it... watch, I love it and end up in business with a Milli!!!:D I guess that wouldn't be such a bad thing!

:P:P:P

Hayevymae,

Since you have done a good job of getting good stitches on your DSM and have been moving your quilt to do it, there is another option out there. APQS makes a table model with a 20 inch throat. It is called George and comes with his own expandable table. I have one since September and like it. This way you can sit and work like you already have learned.

I'm in Southern MN, it would be about a 3 hour drive for you probably.

Hi Neher-in-law5,

I have looked into the George, and the rest of the APQS machines... I would actually prefer a LA... I guess I'm tired of moving the quilt around under the machine. But for now, space is the biggest factor! Where in Southern MN are you? I have a sister in Jeffers... Do you ever

travel to the Twin Cities for any quilt shows, etc? If you ever do, let me know!

Hi Bonnie,

I agree with Dawn, the single stitch button on the Ult1 is worth the difference in price. I have 5 machines for my retreats and 2 of them are Ult 1's they are work horses and you can't go wrong. You will probably have a little more practice time but with the experience you have on your dm it won't take you long. My first machine was an Ult 1 and I think that time without the SR on makes you a smoother longarmer. I tell my customers to turn theirs off at least 10 min a day to get the brain trained to look ahead. I am selling a SR Freedom if you are looking that way.

DeLoa

Archived