Local LA gathering questions

I've read where LA have a "guild" so to speak in their areas and was wondering a few things:

1. How do you get it started other than contacting the ones ya know and word of mouth (or forum) takes it from there?

2. What do you do at the meeting? Exchange ideas, demos, eat, all of the above?

3. Do you find meeting quarterly works best for most schedules?

I know I have move questions than this, but as things start to progress I know more what to ask.

For those of us in the Panhandle area; I've seen quite a few on this forum - If I got this started would anybody be interested in joining. Let me know, I'm very serious about getting started.

Jolene,

We have a LA group that meets every other month at one of the LQS here in central Ohio (Columbus and beyond). We've decided to have a "president of the month" format - each of us being responsible for one program rather than one person being in charge of trying to come up with all the ideas. So far we have talked about tools/tips, cleaning/preserving, how to quilt those "stumpers" and others. Sometimes we have a guest speaker come in and then a collection is taken to cover time/travel expenses. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Good Luck!

Hi Jolene, We have a group called the "Moxie Machine Quilters Group" (formerly known as the NW Longarm group). We meet about 4 or 5 times a year and started out about 1 1/2 yrs ago. Our first meeting was at a quilt shop in Portland that Beth worked at. We started with just chatting and then on to show and tell, then we ended it (no food that time). Then we realized that we really needed more time, as we all left wanting more!!! So we started meeting earlier, had lunch together (either all supplied by the host or potluck, whichever works out best for the host/ess), still had show and tell, but then added a demo or ?? We now start at 10 AM and go to about 3 or 4 PM whenever people have to leave. Our next meeting is here at my house, and we will have a small class & a demo along with lots of talking with old friends and making new ones. If I were you, I would just put it out there on this forum and ask people if they are interested in a group and then set it up if the interst is shown. Check with other LA'rs in your area and see if there is already a group meeting that you could join. I also belong to a LA group within the Guild that I go to and they meet monthly. These are just some ideas for you. I hope you can get something going in your area.:)

Hi Jolene!!

I say go for it! I would love to have a guild here and have considered but don't have the time to be the one to organize. :o

I would offer my in home studio as a meeting place until we get too big. I will have more than one machine for playing on. There is an article in the latest on track magazine about starting a guild. Do you get it? I can scan and email it to you if you like, just let me know.

I REALLY don't need to get my hands into anything else now (as far as organizing or being on a "committee"), but I would love to see this happen. ;)

Patty

Thanks for all the info I'm going to get rolling on this. Hope to meet in October. I would think every other month meeting is good. A LA'ers time can be very precious, hate to have too many meetings that take away from our machines.

Patty B - I sent you a U2U

Karen, Hi!! I live in Ohio and am interested in finding out where it is exactly that you meet. Is it east of Columbus? I live on the far eastern side of Ohio, kind of in the middle .)North & South) Don't know if I could come because of price of gas, but would love to have info just in case!:) Thanks! linda

Archived