SIDE WINDER

IBQLTN2

I got a Wrights side winder with my Lenni to wind bobbins. All of my first practice pieces I used pre wound bobbin and the tension and all was wondeful. So I was going to quilt a quilt that I wanted a thread other than the colors i had for prewound bobbins. I took out the side winder and wound 4 bobbins. Only one of them even looked like it would work. the others were not wound tightly enough and not even at all. so I tried the one that looked okay and the tension was terrible. Not wanting to mess with my bobbin case which has been working fine for the pre wounds I used a new bobbin case and adjusted it to where I thought it was about correct using the drop test. Nope, NO go. After about 15 minutes of trying to adjust the tension I gave up and used a pre wound off white on a dark brown background. Not really what I wanted but better than having tension issues.

Do these little winders work at all or not. Is there a trick or should I just throw it out and stop wasting time and thread trying to make it work. I also tried three other machines that I have and the center hole in aluminum bobbins is too small to fit on any of my other three machines.

what now?

I have not had good luck with the side-winder. Originally bought it for my DSM. Have not tried it for my Millie since the Turbo Winder came with. You might want to invest in the Turbo. Prewounds are more expensive and they do not allow for complete control of bobbin color - only so many colors available. I also like to switch between Bottom Line and So Fine for the bobbin and the Turbo is great for that.

I got the turbo winder with my Millie and haven't had any problems with that. I had the prewound at first because that is what they sent me to start with, but when those ran out, I just bought more bobbins from a vendor and away I went. I would invest in the turbo instead of fretting over bobbins/threading.

I got the Sidewinder with my Lenni. Was not impressed. Luckily the bobbins fit my Bernina DSM and I've now set it up nearby.

Not wanting to write it off completely, I'm going to try to wind some monopoly and Charlotte's Fusible Web with it. Apparently both should be wound more loosely and the Sidewinder might just fit the bill!

Judy

well I gave it a go but if I can't find one of my other machines to fit I will likely have to get the turbo winder whatever.

I have not tried the juki or the feather weight to see if either of those would work or maybe the gem might work. Oh well. they might as well keep their side winders if that is all the good they do. jp

I can get the side winder to work as it is my only option at the moment. I put the cone on the machine, through the first hook, then where you would put a spool of thread I feed in the thread between my index finger and thumb. For whatever reason the tension is OK when I do this. I hold the thread pretty tight, to the point it slows down the side winder. I still put it through the thing they call a tension disk. The bobbin only winds a little over half way but it is better than nothing.

JudySmith - what brand and model of DSM do you use?

I took a bobbin to the Bernina dealer hoping to buy a low end machine to use as a bobbin winder. Luckily the lady tried it in the store and it did not work on their $200 machine.

Brenni

I've got the Aurora 440 and an older Bernina 1000 'Special'. I tend to use the older machine because it has a metal shaft and it is a tighter fit.

There was a discussion on bobbin winders some time back and a number of links were posted on free standing winders that are available in the US. You might like to search back through the posts. I'm sure it would be cheaper to just buy a free standing one, rather than purchase another machine.

Good luck

Judy

Problem solved!! I took out my Singer Feather Weight, and she had just the right size shaft to fit the bobbins. So, I even gave her a sprinkling of oil, blew out the dust bunnies and adjusted the tension and she is as good as new. I even looked up her birthday was Feb 20th 1952. Wow, thats even older than me and she looks brand new. I guess I will keep her out of the case now and handy to wind my bobbins. I took a picture to post but couldn't get it to show up. Weird, sometimes I have no problems with pictures and other times they won't post of anything. Go figure.

IBQLTN2

Check out the bobbins that are with the Featherweight. I'm using metal bobbins from my old Singer industrial machine which I got from Gammill. The bobbin case looked identical to that in the Lenni, including the little metal spring inside. You might check out the bobbin case in the Featherweight - it may also be the same and you'll have a spare!

Happy quilting,

Judy

good idea Brenni you can probably get an old heavy singer at a garage sale or flea market for a little of nothing.. Just don't get the touch N Sew those bobbins are all together different. Bring a bobbin with you and try some garage sales or flea markets . I always see them there.

I have heard nothing good about the sidewinders. In fact two of my friends had ones that didn't work at all right out of the box. I guess the manufacturer will send a new one but what poor quality control. I am sure that a vendor at Nashville was upset if they heard me stopping someone from buying one. I told the person not to waste their money as it didn't work. Since I have a milli I have a turbo winder. I like it because it gives me a variety of color threads at my disposal.

Pamela

Archived