Flannel for the backing

I am about to quilt my first quilt with a seamed flannel backing.

Is there a "better" way to attach the flannel to the rollers so that it does not stretch.

Usually I would attach the selvedge to the roller,and have the seam parallel to the roller - but would I be better to attach the ends instead and have the seam going from top to bottom?

Thanks

Lyn

Just me on "Miss Molly" the Millenium

Hi Lyn,

In my opinion, pinning the selvedge to the roller is still the best way to go. If you load the seam vertically it will build up on the roller as you load and you end up with the dreaded "hammock" on either side of the seam.

With the seam horizontal, you will have better control with each advance.

Good luck!:)

I agree 100% with Linda.

I did a quilt that had MANY issues, and to top it off, the backing was pieced with the seems running verrtically and I had hammocks. Yes, they are dreaded!!! That said, not all vertical seams seem to become hammocks.

I also love the way flannel feels on the back of snuggle quilts. Please post a picture when you have it quilted.

Hi Lyn

I'm with the other ladies on this one on loading.

Also,I don't wash my backings - usually - (I hear you all screaming at me, I'm ducking for cover) but with flannel I try to wash the backing and as always trim the selvedge if it runs through the body of the backing because flannel often shrinks even more than regular cotton - I think because it can be more loosely woven than regular cotton fabric.

sue in australia

IMHO, :) WASH flannel ALWAYS, it can shrink a lot. When pinning selvedges' to the leaders be VERY mindful that flannel also stretches a lot (usually) so when rolling use your advance feed to give slack on the fabric. If you are pinning on selvedge vertically or cotton for that matter and it starts to build up on the seam you can "back roll" the seam to keep it even. For example, use the "C" cruve of your hand, you would take your thumb and index finger and wrap it around your wrist and turn it clockwise. Doing this to the seam keeps the seam from building up on itself as you roll, keeping the fabric from having "hammocks" on the sides. The stitches just sink into flannels:) I do like quilting them.

I think I have this info on my Beginning DVD. Tons of info...

Happy Quilting.

• 2 years later...

I love using flannel on the backs and almost always do. I never wash it first. I've never had a problem. But I like the shrunken, quilty look so it probably just depends on what you like. I also piece a lot of backs for the quilt ministry because I use up everything. I haven't had any issues with hammocks or puckering.

I use flannel backing a lot on my own quilts. I treat it just like cotton and never have any problems. I don't wash it first and I do try to buy good quality. I haven't had a problem with stretching or excessive shrinking. I don't tighten the rollers so there's not much pressure on the quilt either. Kinda like when I quilt minkie or fleece.

Archived