Scorched Fabric or Scorched Starch? YIKES!

Oh, sweet Jesus, can anything else go wrong? I have been working on a quilt in memory of my Dad.  I have always used Light Body Magic Sizing for my starching needs with no issues.   I have been using my second iron, a Rowenta, and this Magic Sizing while making this quilt.  I went to put some rows together and realized that the cream fabric was scorched colored! . Does anyone have any experience with Magic Sizing discoloring, or do you surmise I just used too much heat and scorched the fabric?  I don't have enough matching fabric to replace the many pieces that look discolored.  And I'm not sure I want to wash these before sewing together (they are 2" squares and half squares sewn in to 4" squares).  I don't know which way to go.  I am fairly sick about this - three years ago this past weekend my Dad took his own life after having his cancer return - and it's taken me this long to put it together.  I'm to the point of just sewing it all together and maybe tea-dying it to try to camoflouge the discoloring if I can't figure out something else to do.

I have been staying  at our daughter and son-in-law's home a few days a week to help them out with daycare until they can find licensed 2nd shift providers for their baby, Grayson.  So I'm using my second-to-go-to supplies, and I'm not sure if this iron runs hotter than what I am used to.  I should have checked it before I used it but I didn't even think about it.   :(  I will try any suggestions to try to make a save here. Thanks, in advance, for any help.

ETA: I panicked and didn't even think about the internet - thank you for mentioning that.  Here are a couple pics of what I had sewn together when I noticed the areas of scorch.  The flash kept the true color of the scorch from showing but I circled the worst areas in one photo.  

Marci,

I don't have any experience with Magic Sizing but wonder if you can spare a small piece of the fabric affected and treat it as you have with the other pieces, then try washing it.  The results would at least let you know if the fabric is damaged or it is just the sizing that is discoloured.  

Good luck

Do a search for removing scorch marks from fabric. I found several sites that give remedies. Most of them call for using white vinegar and a white rag to wipe (rub) the vinegar onto the fabric, and a clean rag to wipe it off. Let it dry naturally, and repeat if necessary.

If that doesn't work, they recommend using peroxide and ammonia, letting it sit awhile, then laundering using oxygen bleach. I think I'd try that on a scrap first.

I would think if it was just the starch scorched, it would wash out. If its the fabric, it might lessen in appearance. I'm so sorry this happened to you. How disappointing. I hope something works for you.

i have used magic sizing quite a bit, and i wonder if what you are getting on your fabric is rust from the spray can?

see if on the top of the can, when you spray it, if there isn't rust or the sizing building up. if the can isn't new, then this could be the case. to avoid this, i wipe the top of the spray can/nozzle after each use and even while I am using it if i find that rust splatters onto the quilt. just s thought...this may not be what is happening to you, but it has happened to me. 

Marci,

I have had it happen on a batik quilt I was working on but with a different starch. I found something on the web somewhere. I actually used peroxide on a rag that I then laid carefully just on top of the scorched area only and ironed it. It took the scorch off after a couple of tries. But I am with Zora, try it on a scrap piece if you have one. I am not sure that this peroxide wouldn't lift color from another piece or even weaken that part of the fabric later on. It worked for me but there are always variables.

Marci, I am really sorry to hear about your dad. I lost mine about the same time. :( Please let us know how it works out and let us see the quilt when you are done. :) Hugs!

Sharon

Marci,

So sorry about your Dad.  Sounds like this was intended as a healing project.  Need to safely get that scorch out.  

Grandma learned to be a tailor with a treadle sewing machine and an iron that heated on the wood stove.  Eventually she went to an electric iron but always used her treadle.  Her Sunday dresses are still beautiful and with amazing detail.  She warned me about a hot iron on certain fabrics and taught me how to get a scorch out.  The things Grandma taught me that I thought I would remember and no longer do.  Mom's gone too now so I cannot ask her.  It was something they had around, baking soda, lemon juice, vinegar...going to see if my aunts remember.  I'll get back with you if I figure it out.  

Oh Marci, I don't have an answer for your question but I'm so sorry about your Dad and I hope you can fix the quilt.  I can imagine why you are sick over it.  I sure hope it can be fixed.  **my fingers crossed**

I know it won't make you feel much better, but my Husband's boss asked me this evening to hem some drapes for his hotel.  Guess what?  I cut two of the drapes about 12 inches too short.  CRAP!!!!!!  Tomorrow I'll be working on an EXTRA wide ruffle to make them fit.  If my Husband doesn't ring my neck that is...

Thanks to all of you who have responded.  I did panic and didn't even think about the net - in fact, I didn't even know if there was a remedy for scorching.  I will do some looking around on the net to find a solution - I hope something works because, yes, this was a sort of therapy to deal with it all. These were fabrics left over from one I made him, and I eeked out what I could to make this one. Thanks for the kind, kind words.  I knew I could count on you guys to help me out.

I'm going to get some vinegar for here and try that, first.  If that doesn't work then peroxide.  I saw JoAnn's has a Carbona Oxy Magic stain removing pen that you dab and blot on a stain.  I have no experience with it, but may give it a try if the first ones don't work.  I am feeling a bit better about this knowing there are some possible remedies.  It is great to have extra input to figure out what to do. Thanks so much!

Archived