Thread catching on cone -

Does anyone notice this problem, or is it just me?   Can someone suggest a fix for me?  

It doesn't matter the size, but about 1/2 way through a cone of thread  my thread starts to 'catch' on the cone, which then causes some tension issues.  Sometimes it catches on the plastic base as it spins off the cone, but sometimes it catches on the wound thread.    Not sure why, or how.   I've tried adjusting the thread guide above to see if I can move the angle of the thread coming off the cone, and it doesn't really do much.   :huh:

Is this what those nets are for?  When I put one on, it just pops off once I start quilting.    If I kind of put the net so that it sits under the cone base and over the thread,  the thread will still catch on the plastic base.   

I'm sure someone has a solution for me?   

:rolleyes:

A bit of fine sand paper, then extra fine will smoothe the cones right out.  But

if it is spooling off the spool/cone, onto cone holder plate, then I think it needs

a netting of some kind.  I bought one set of thread nets and they were so stiff

I pitched them in the trash.  The next set from another company were so soft

I love to play with them while reading, taking a break, etc.

Rita

If your thread is catching on the thread on the cone, then maybe some mineral oil or sewer's aid would help?  I use the nets purchased from Superior and they work nice on my large cones. I cut one in half for small cones.  Have never had an issue with them flopping about or wanting to bounce off the cone.

I cut out a disk from pressed foam, it sits on top of the cone post.  No more thread getting caught on the cone.

Interesting fix Dixie!  no one mentions, but you probably already know about a small piece of batting (i have a small square of foam) in the thread guide above it?  I don't use too many different types of threads but I don't use a net at all on the metalics, nylons, etc.  I also have a Swifty thread conditioner guide (on my other machine I put it between the cone and the first triple guide - but on this machine I put it after the 1st triple guide because there was a long span and the thread was just 'hanging' there.  (look how dirty that lubricator gets from the thread?) you put a little sewer aid on those pads and it cleans the thread and cuts down on lint when I use cottons?  

post-5591-0-39422300-1391091815_thumb.jpg

post-5591-0-31165400-1391091824_thumb.jpg

Archived