Tension or stitch regulator issues!!! Help!!!

janeta

My machine will be going along fine and then I will have one stitch that pops up on the top. The two stitches after it are extremely tight looking. This happens about every 8-10 inches. I have added batting to the eye the thread goes into and rethreaded the machine, changed needles, cleaned the bobbin case, checked the bobbin tension, oiled the various parts of the machine and still have this problem. I have a millenium and use the stitch regulator. I am also having issues with some stitches being longer that others with the stitch regulator on. I am quilting a king size quilt that has a batik back and top. The batting is cotton. Any helpful hints as to what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

You've probably already done this, but check the encoder wheels for thread or accumulated dirt. They're black, so it might be hard to see. Check that the encoder wheels are moving when you move the head, and only then (won't turn unless the machine is moved). Does this happen more in one direction than another?

Hi jjsmom

I think its the batik, especially with it being on the top and the back. It sounds like the fabric isn't allowing the needle to go through smoothly . Try quilting with the same thread and thread tension but on a sample piece using normal cotton fabric top and bottom and see if you have problems with that. If you don't, you could try using a larger needle on the batik - I know larger holes but it can't be helped.

I'd also give the hook assembly a really good clean with WD40 and then a thorough oil at each bobbin change because the batik is probably throwing off a lot of gunk and could be causing those tension problems.

Good luck

sue in australia

It doesn't really matter which direction I'm going. It also did this on a previous quilt that was not batik. I put a scrap piece on after that quilt and played with the tension, oiled and blew dust out of all the appropriate areas. I just had my machine off the rails a week ago and checked the wheels while it was off. No thread there. I am just stumped as to what else to do. Thanks to those of you who gave suggestions. Janet

Hi jjsmom

Have you broken a needle recently, perhaps the thread is catching and then releasing itself. If you think you might have then check the hook assembly for burrs. Instructions on where to check are in the manual.

Which thread are you using?

Good luck

sue in australia

I am using isocord thread and I did break a needle recently. I checked for burrs and didn't find anything. It is weird that when the stitch pops up the next two stitches are pulled too tight on the top. You can't use a seam ripper to pull the loose stitch into the tight stitches. I will recheck the hook assembly and the wheels to see if I missed anything. Thanks again for the advice. Janet

We use a little piece of cotton, as in medical, or a q tip to check all the little places out. We found a groove in one of the pigtails, the last one before the needle, and it was catching there, shredding the thread.. took us quite a while to find it as the cotton was going thru the loop at a slightly different angle than the thread, and I'd only used monoPoly thread for the one small quilt top.

I think the groove was already forming and the monoPoly just finished breaking thru and making it into a groove.. We turned it over until himself picked one up. Be careful with it upside down if you use the micro drive handles, as it does affect how they attach.

Hope you find the solution, and please let us know so we can put it in our extra pages for hints and problem solving.

RitaR

Make sure the connections going into the stitch regulator are tight. It started out like you said with a loose stitch here and there or a long stitch and then when it got really loose(the connection) the machine would serge. Also a l/2 turn on the tension might help also. Just some suggestions. Hope you get it figured out soon.

Archived