APQS-why I bought mine

Myrna asked somewhere why we purchase what we do. I researched long arms for 3 years before I took the plunge at Houston this year and ordered my Millenium. I looked at, and played with everything I could find as I wanted a machine I could use and abuse as hard as I drive my Vikings. It came down to 3 machines, one mfg wanted his $$ up front and I have heard he still hasn't delivered machines for up to 3 months. The Gammill attitude was better this year, but what sold the APQS was the booth staff! Cheryl and Mark spent time and answered technical questions without hedging about problems. Service is everything on a purchase like this - Martha Mosher (Wheezer)

Guest Linda S

Smart gal Martha! I notice that you live in Seneca Castle. I almost bought a house there years ago. I was living in Geneva and working for Lincoln First Bank of Rochester. Well, that was a long time ago! Enjoy your new Millennium!

Linda

Hi Martha,

Seneca Castle? We must be neighbors, almost! I am in Afton which is 25 miles NE of Binghamton. You might be interested in attending the Empire State Longarm Quilters meetings or ESLAQ. We meet in Verona, outside of Syracuse 3-4 times a year.

I bought my Libery for much the same reasons as you state. I was a little afraid to try the others at the next big show I went to, just incase I had made a $huge$ mistake. But came back very satisfied I had made the right choice.

Drop me a line if you'd like more info about the ESLAQ meetings.

Gretchen

I'm in the stage of research for a longarm. I'm leaning to the APQS Millinium. Also have info on the Gammil. Hope to visit both dealers soon.

My question- I am handicapped. Would have problems if I needed to crawl under the machine to line up the quilt. I know on the Gammil you can "zip" it in on the roller. A friend of mine thought the Millinium required a lot of crawling under it to get started.

Hi msmack

You have complete access under all APQS machines. I have been know to lay on the floor and look at my quilting occasionally. Yes, that sounds strange, but the designs look so cool from below. I have put my ironing board up under my quilt while using miracle chalk to steam off as I went.

Zippers may be attached to our leaders also. You will be able to sit while pinning your backing and quilt top, then just zip them on. Actually you can sit and quilt with complete access under the front of the machines. You should never have to crawl under your machine to line up anything. Unless like me, you just want to look at your work from the bottom. And you get all of us!

Welcome to the chat.

Myrna

Hi Wheezer, Welcome!

I have Vikings too, and you're right you can't kill 'em. I also am lucky to have a great dealer for them, and good service. I thought I was a Gammill gal, but when I really put the pluses and minuses on a sheet of paper, APQS won. One of my biggest criteria was to have a machine the had a lot of the "big machine" features, but not so big and heavy. I am older than most of you, and suffer from shoulder bursitis. So the Libery was perfect for me!

Hi,

I have the Millie, but have never crawled under the machine. The closest I have gotten to the underside of the quilt frame was to pick up a bobbin that had fallen. If you wanted to see the underside of the quilt, you could always set up mirrors.

One of the things that I especially like about my machine over the Gammill is that the handles are moveable. Depending on where I am on the quilt and what I am doing, I move the position of the handles quite frequently.

Good luck on your decision,

Charlene

Msmack,

I have a Millie, too. and find it very easy to use. I have arm, back and leg arthritis and am mid-60, so time has taken it's toll. I couldn't get under the machine to save my life! I sit to quilt some, on a stool, and use the zippers to ease getting the quilt loaded. I know two expert longarmers who have switched from Gammill to APQS or A-1 because the Gammills were too heavy in their later years! APQS support staff are famous for their sympathy and knowledge, and there is this great sounding board, too!

Anne in Fl Moonrabbit Quilts

The extra set of hands I had to help putting the machine together were those of a retired engineer. He was extremely impressed with the instruction manual - no secrets here, very clear and great pictures. As to physical challenges I am 5 ft tall. Ok the rails could be a problem. However, I see them as and advantage as they will help to support me on detailed work. I also have arthritis in my hands and shoulders. There was no way I was going to be able to push a 75 lb head :(gamill) around for hours and when I start stitching it can be well into the night after 12 hours at work. And there are more than enough bells and whistles on this baby. I have a computer at work, I don't want to quilt with one - where's the artistry and the magic. - Martha

Hi Hester & Martha,

I used to agree wholeheartedly about the "computerized" machines, until I got one. Being an APQS Dealer, I felt I needed to "get with the program", but still felt that a lot of "artistry" would be lost. After all, I did write the Pocket Guides to Freehanding. I almost felt like a traitor to my own cause!

But I couldn't have been more wrong! The challenge is now in digitizing my own patterns, yes, even MY "freehand" patterns. The challenge, as with any other system, is still knowing what type of quilting to put where. The exciting part is now letting the machine do the physical work of pushing the machine.

AND I can combine computer generated stitching with freehand. Do you find it difficult to do a perfect heart? Even with templates, I am NOT good at that! SO, I use the Compu-Quilter to drop in the heart (it takes about 3 seconds to change the size to fit the block!) and then I can embellish the shape with freehand feathers, branching, whatever my heart desires. ;)

Since I really am NOT good at using templates, I am now loving doing circles with the CQ. I don't have to set up a circle making "system", but just tell the computer I want the next circle to be 1" across, and I want it to navigate from the center of the block.

Then I decided to put a 3" circle around the 1" circle. Another 3 seconds to change the size in the computer and start stitching. It does such a tiny backtack, I've almost given up my obsessive, compulsive behavior of burying the ends, although I still can if I want to. Just type 0 in the number of stitches to take at the beginning and end.

Can you tell I've changed my mind about "computerized" quilting? And didn't we have the same discussion a few years back about "stitch-regulated" machines and how it was going to take the "skill" out of our quilting? And didn't we battle with hand quilters that said "machine quilting" wasn't REALLLY quilting? That is was sort of "cheating"?

I'm working on a quilt for one of my grandaughters, and between the pieced blocks I've been able to "drop in" so many fun blocks. I'm calling the quilt "My Favorite Things". It has Puppies, Kittens, Butterflies, Bunnies, Dragonflies, Flowers etc. I don't think this little 5 year old is going to care that the actual stitching was done with the machine hooked up to the computer. And I KNOW I would not have quilted this quilt in this way without the aid of the CQ. It's opening up another whole world of possibilities to me.

And can I also say, my body LOVES it!! ;)

Just my opinion, and I'm here to tell ya, you CAN teach an old dog new tricks! LOL :)

As to why I bought my first APQS machine way back in '97? I simply lucked out!! I wasn't as smart as those of you who are doing your research. But I WAS smart enough to STAY with APQS! It's simply the BEST! Not only the way the machine is uniquely made, but the company itself. Speaking from experience, you won't find a company, or owners of a company, with more "bone deep" integrity. That gives me the confidence to know I'll have happy, happy owners. I get VERY few trouble calls, and those I do get are usually a simple fix over the phone.

Let me assure those of you who are "just looking". APQS looks after it's APQS Family!! Even if you buy a used machine from someone else, they'll still treat you like family. :D

Ok, everyone. I didn't mean to dis computerization. Both of my Vikings will do all the machine generated embroidery I ever want to do. However, I learned early that I couldn't walk away from them because as soon as I did one would break a thread. So there are nights when I am piecing on one machine while the other one is embroidering something. I guess it all goes back to why I even wanted to buy a long arm. I'm a control freak and tend to be a perfectionist (I'll take a seam out 3 times before I give in). Guess I've just learned that perfection and total reproduce-ability is not where I want to be at this point in my life. I need to touch and "be one with" the quilt. Of course this may all change if my quilting buddies make good on their threats and force me to go into business.

Martha

• 1 month later...

Ladies,

Please give me some input on the stitch quality of your machines. If you have had the opportunity to compare stitches made by other manufacturers, please let me know your oppinions. I have been talking and corresponding with the owner of another company. My request for a sample of his machines' stitch quality has been met with complete silence. Wonder why? I do!

Thanks,

Ramona Robuck

Hi Ramona,

I have had the opportunity to use a *G* machine before buying my Millie. I didn't realize at the time that the stitch quality was not that great. Now that I have my machine, I can see a big difference. I saw a quilt just a few days ago that was done on this other machine and it looked like possibly she was running in manual mode as the stitches went from long to tiny as it came into a point or stop. I can't imagine why she would have been in manual mode for the type of stitching she was doing.

I have to tell you that I am so very happy I went with APQS, the ease of use and the quality of machine, not to mention customer support. It is just a fantastic machine and company.

I don't know where Flora is, but if you are ever in NW FL, I would be happy to show you my machine and I have a few things hanging around that were done on that *other* machine. ;)

Patty

Thanks for the invitation. Flora is in Madison County, NW of Jackson, MS. Maybe I can sneak in a trip during Spring Break. I'll let you know.

I recently had a chance to see a big 30" Gammill at work. The Statler Stitcher was engaged, so I expected to see beautiful work. I didn't have any prior experience with longarms (this was the 1st I laid eyes on), and boy was I disappointed! That prompted me to ask the other manufacturer for samples of quilting done on their machines. As I said, silence. Well, maybe it is golden, because the experience sure opened my eyes to pursuing other options.

I noticed early-on in my research the extensive photo gallery of quilts on this APQS site, and the obvious lack thereof on others' sites. I'm guessing APQS has my philosophy about sewing -- " the proof is in the stitching"!

I would still like to hear from other quilters who have compared different machines. Assuming quilting is done by an experienced, knowledgable operator, which brand produces the most attractive quilt?

I have been in sales for many years, and I've always been committed to selling only the best quality products because they are a reflection on me, and because I don't want them coming back! Seems like once I make this purchase, I'll be "married" to the machine for quite a while. My time is too valuable and my tops too precious & expensive to waste either on second-rate stitching. I'd rather hand-quilt (not that I would)!

I have had an Ult. I, Freedom and now the Millennium and have never been disappointed with the stitch quality.

I'll be in Ridgeland, MS for one night during spring break. If you haven't made a decision yet and would like to see some APQS stitches, I'll have some quilts with me and our hotel is right on the interstate. Will be glad to spend a little time with you if you'd like.

I haven't spent a lot of time looking at stitches made by other brands of machines but I have a friend here who has another brand and she cannot get the right stitch going into and out of points. Last year, I was thinking I'd get a second machine so I would have one at home and one at my studio. My thinking was I'd get a different brand and then when I needed only one machine, I'd put them both up for sale and whichever one sold first, I'd keep the other one. Figured that would be easier but when I talked to these people at the Nashville show, I asked them about the problem with the stitches in the points and they admitted that they had a problem and they were "working on it".

My friend here is so disappointed with her stitches, she is going to sell her machine and buy another one. She's hoping to make a decision at MQS.

Ergonomics!! I tried a Mille at the Des Moines showroom and my DH could tell by the look on my face that it was "my" machine. It just felt good. I love the adjustable handles, the light weight, the waist high rollers, and the huge light table. I have 4 vertabraes in my neck fused from an injury and some residual nerve damage so comfort of use was a major factor for me. I do wish that I had hydrolic legs. Maybe if I replace this one someday I'll add that option. DH was also impressed with the engineering and construction of the machine and table.

I spent 2 years doing the research and trying machines. I still try out the others when I get the chance. I would wtill buy an APQS. jeri

Thanks for your responses. I had carpel tunnel surgery on both wrists six years ago, and never regained all the strength in my hands. They also tire easily, especially if grips on scissors, knives, even my cell phone, aren't large enough. My back needs all the "breaks" I can give it.

What benefits would you expect to gain from hydaulic legs? If money were no object (it is), I would buy every accessory and add-on, so which are most useful. I don't know if I will quilt as a business yet, but want to have the capability to do so as needed.

• 5 months later...

I know 2 ladies in my home town that both have Gammill machines, and one thing they are always talking about is the stitch quality, I should ask them if they ever tried other brands. I also have a problem with sore shoulders and stiff neck, if the APQS makes life easier, then it sounds like this may be the machine for me.

Janet

Archived