Log Cabin with a Chain

Guest Linda S

Guest Linda S

This is my second quilt for Marsha McCloskey's book. Just finished it this evening. I'll have better pics when it's been bound and photographed.

LogCabin.jpg

LC2.jpg

LC3.jpg

LogCabinBack.jpg

LCB3.jpg

This was one whole lot of ruler work, but it was kind of fun to do.

Linda

Guest Linda S

Hi Linda - those borders are 7.5" wide. I used a template (Tracey Browning's Swirls template) for the spine, then freehanded the feathers. I'm not used to doing them so big, but that's what the customer wanted!

Linda

Linda, I did a very similar border but, I can't seem to get free-hand feathers yet so, I made my border with a Keryn Emmerson double feather pantograph. Took some creative time to get it fit perfectly and some wonderful assistance from my husband to get the corners to match up but, it does look nice if, I must say so myself.

Guest Linda S

Hi Darlene - you do it the same as posting one pic, but after you put in the first picture, type a couple of returns in the body of the message, then repeat the insert a picture process. You can keep doing it again and again.

Linda

Linda this looks great!. Congradulations. I haven't even done a feather border yet. I haven't had a quilt top with a border that I thought it work on. Do you MARK or quilt it freehand? Do you use plastic templates or what? I want to do this type of border. I am working on a pieced top of my own and plan to add such borders to it. For some reason I'm chicken. I can freehand really great feathers but the perfect stuff scares me to death. Once I conquer my fear LOOK OUT!!!

Guest Linda S

LOL Grammie - those feathers are very far from perfect. I did the spine using the swirls template from Tracey Browning (Constantine Quilts), but then did the feathers freehand. One thing I didn't realize about a lot of quilts that get put into books. They are made from fabrics that are "mock-ups" or a first fun of the fabrics that isn't very stable color-wise. It is not possible to get the fabrics wet, so you really can't use much to mark on them. I used a ruler and that one template, and that's it. A little scarey, but it came out okay.

Archived