How do you decide what to quilt?

ramona-quilter

Is there a secret to which quilting designs look best on a quilt? How do you decide what to quilt on each quilt and how long does it take you to decide?

This question came up the Strength/Weakness thread and I decided that it deserved its own space and post.

There is no secret to knowing what design to put on a quilt. I do a couple things that help me choose my patterns, whether they are freehand or panto. Custom is a separate thing entirely.

Structure:

If the quilt has small piecing, you must use a denser pattern (panto or freehand) just so you can nail the thing down. Using a smaller pattern may fulfill that density. If the quilt has large pieces, like the Turning 20 mentioned above, you can get away with a big pattern. I haven't done a T20 in a year or so but I think that the panto Fantasia would probably look good on that straight line Turning 20 because it softens it and directs your eye around the quilt.

Interest or Appeal:

If the quilt is mostly straight lines, like Turning 20s, YellowBrick Road, then I will try to use a curvy design to soften the straight lines. If the quilt has curvy lines (like in applique) then I will try to add some straight lines. Think about how good applique looks with cross-hatching behind it. It is the contrast that adds interest to the quilt.

Pricing:

For me, fast = cheap. If I can do a pattern and get it off the machine in a hurry then I can pass that savings on to the customer. I can fly thru a pattern named Wandering Daisies by Sharon Spingler (Hi, Sharon) and it looks great on a little girls quilt. It reminds me of hearts and flowers. I have done it dozens of times so for me, it is quick so it is priced at the low end of my panto pricing. Kathie James patterns are also easy for me (Wind and Water, Fern Meander). The other end of that pricing is Deb Geissler. I don't mean to pick on her, she has some wonderful designs (flamingos, palms, etc) but her stuff is more dense, more cross-overs and switchbacks. I have to slow down and pay attention when I use her pantos. If I veer off course, it is likely to run over a close-by line. I am in the process of trimming down my more intense pantos. I would rather do a custom which I feel gives me more leaway to change my mind or manuever around the quilt without it getting cluttered.

Well, that got long. ;) I also listen closely to the customer. When I know who will get the quilt, then I can choose a design even if they tell me "Do whatever..." I get a lot of those.

Sometimes the quilt screams what it needs and others need to be viewed for a couple of days...regardless of the direction that the customer or even yourself wants. I have looked at quilts and put them back to do the next one and go home and go to sleep and in the middle of the night there is a "Bright light moment" and I go back to the studio take that quilt out and Wammo, its just perfect.

I honestly have to say that 99% of my quilts have been from the front...I don't deal well with pantos, am just now trying to make friends with them, but I find myself leaning more towards the R & S design boards or maybe even a CL in my near future....I have way more luck with those. I hate chasing that little red light, I don't seem to have a smooth gate and I can't make them all work well.

I have to admit I'm a stencil and marking girl...and they seem to be happy and I feel better also.

Okay, first Bonnie...you know how Linda and I feel about the CL!! Enough said...

I agree, most quilts scream what needs to be quilted. I only have one customer that doesn't let me "listen" to the quilt. I think she is a micor-manager. Otherwise, the rest of my customer's drop off a quilt and say, "Do whatever you want." Love them!!

While I am working on one quilt, I hang the next one to be done. That way when I am in the studio I can look at it and think about what needs to be quilted on the quilt. Most of my customers want custome. I have tried to discuss the pricing with them, or the designs and they glaze over, or look at me with the deer in the headlight look. We have stopped talking about designs, just time limitations. I thought if I could blow them out of the water on pricing, they would take a panto, not so.

Bonnie, I love stencils too, but have decided that since I have so many CL templates now, I need to look at them as I would use a stencil. Now, some times I need a smaller design that the CL just won't do. But lately Michael has done some smaller designs that fit perfectly in some of the smaller areas. Love that!! No marking, no trying to stay on the line....just keep it in the groove ;)

• 2 months later...

This is such a good post, I thought I would bring it back to the front. Such good advice here. I, too, like to know who the quilt is for, gender and age! I'm working on a bright batik right now. The piecer told me to do whatever on the quilt, but in visiting with her I found out it was going to her grown son with no woman in the house. The quilt wants to be quilted with feminine designs, but in my mind I have to keep remembering it's going to a man! I, like Linda, also like to do curvy lines on quilts with straight piecing and straight lines on curvy quilts. I like the idea, too, that when a quilt has smaller piecing a smaller quilting pattern should be used. I think I knew that but I'm not sure. And I agree with Bonnie, sometimes a quilt has to talk to you for awhile and then you have that ahah moment in the middle of the night and know just what to do. I really think quilts are alive, they can talk to us.(You can haul me off to the loony bin anytime) Bonnie, I bought some RNS boards on this forum the other day and am anxious to try them. And Mary Beth, I'm thinking I need to start using my work station more that I got with my Gammill, It doesn't have as many templates as the Circle Lord, but it is something I need to try out. Then maybe I'll get a Circle Lord! I need to quit my day job, there's just too much learning and quilting to do!

I prefer working from the back of the machine [pantos, CL] so when I am going to quilt from the front of the machine, it takes me a little while to figure out what I'm going to do. For instance, I loaded a quilt and it took me five days of looking at it to figure out how I was going to quilt it! Luckily I don't quilt for anyone but myself:D

Donna, I think we all do the S & S (stand and stare) sometimes.

I had to tell you all about a class I signed up for. The class is called Quilt Whisperer and it is taught by Carla Barrett. The class is supposed to teach you how to read a quilt. Carla has many ribbons for her quilting and her work is superb. She was the featured quilter on another forum I visit.

DH thinks I am nuts. Her class is only $30. But with airfare to Sacramento, hotel (1 night) and rental car, well, it is going to be a bit pricey. She encourages students to bring a quilt top so the class can discuss it. I think it will be a great class.....I just wish they taught it in San Diego.:D:P

I posted a note on Carla's blog asking about her classes on design.

Hopefully she will respond with some info....

I am also interested and since I am also close to Sac (just a bit further out than you, Laura! but not as far away as Linda!) I thought I would check it out too.

I believe she teaches out of Bear Paw and Hollyhocks in Sac. I'll check their site.....

Laura and Laurie,

This class is in Cameron Park just outside El Dorado Hills at a shop name High Sierra Quilters

The phone number is 530-677-9990

It is 10 - 3 on Sat March 14th.

I'm excited to learn from this woman. I heard from Bobbie Jones (on this forum) that she is an awesome quilter.

Sharon - Wandering Daisies is my all-time fav and is perfect on girly quilts. I will have to check-out Whirlpool. I love you work.;)

Archived