2002 Milennium for sale

Auto fabric advance... I returned to APQS.

I do have an extend a base and micro drive handles.

As far as the misc. items also available- this is a quickie inventory:

160 spools of thread ranging from 3000 yd spools to smaller spools:

A&E cotton

Razzle Dazzle

King Tut

Brytes

Glitter Hallogram

Superior verigated

Aurifil some M50 some M28

I have clear extend a ruler. Robs 12" small and large scallop rulers.

No pantos.

"Nested" sets round, oval and heart.

Smaller guides rulers, marquis, tear drop and sraight.

Plus-Many extra "goodies" including Linda Taylor videos.

Everything a new longarmer would need to start a business or a seasoned pro would use at quite a savings.

I am not selling any of this piece by piece.

Looking forward to hearing from you! Susan

Jolene,

I can address that question from my point of view. At first, I loved quilting for others but as 5 years rolled around it took its toll on me. I was quilting all the time, had little or no time for me, I felt guilty if I wasn't quilting, I was tired of having backings too short or crooked, frogging, and stressing out worrying that some one might not like what I quilted, battings that weren't large enough, C cups, D cups, fixing quilts so the sides weren't 2 inches different (because a quilter just sewed borders on without measuring), tired of having a backlog of 30 quilts in the house and working 12 to 14 hours a day in November and December so others could give a quilt for Christmas, tired of looking at quilts that were not pretty( beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but sometimes I really wondered:)) and lastly or close to it tired of quilters thinking they were paying too much for the quilting done by me and other LA'ers.

And that is why I retired...I am loving my Millie and quilting for me:D:D:D

Cheryl

Ouch, Cheryl, to see it in writing the ugly truth. Everything you wrote is true, but I do still really enjoy it. I will enjoy the day I quilt "just because I fell like it". I'm defiantly feeling the Christmas time crunch, was going to give myself the week before Christmas to do my DS penguin quilt (suppose to be a gift) but I don't think its going to happen. Guess I should get off the puter and get some work done.

I hate to have been blunt about why I quit quilting for others but it is what it is. I am glad that you are enjoying quilting for others and that is what is important. When something no longer is a joy to do and one hates doing it...then it is time to move on and that is what I did:D :P:)

WOW!!!! ,am I glad my machine is paid for and do not feel the need to quilt for others. My regular job is demanding enough, people want WHAT they want, WHEN they want it, and for the REASON they want it. Many forget you have a life, children etc... I am glad I can quilt just for my self and a pick and choose others.

It sure will be nice when the day comes that I can quilt just for me but until then I do deal with the customers. Some don't come to me because I don't get their quilts done as fast as they would like. Oh well, I need to have a life also. Things happen. When Daniel had his appendix out a month ago I really didn't have the time to take off but I did anyway and explained to customers. Some were gracious enough to say don't worry about my quilt for Christmas it isn't that important, take care of your family. Thank you Lord for them. I use to own my own salon and customers would get really upset if they had to wait 2 weeks to get in and really complain. I would try to get them to go to the gal I had working with me but no. They complained enough that I told them I would close the doors. Daniel was a tiny baby and I had lost my Dad when I was expecting him and they didn't like that I took a week off to greive. So they kept complaining and I closed the doors. That was 11 yrs ago and I told myself that I would not get into that again. If they don't want to wait for me to do their quilt than pick it up, doesn't bother me.

Sorry so long but that's my story....

I totally second the AMEN!!!

I too have retired from quilting for others (I have MAYBE one or two a year to do)....except I lasted almost 8 years before I burned out and CRASHED.... What Cheryl said is so what I went through that it just isn't worth it for me....and I will now concentrate on my zillion UFO's and quilt when and if I want to.....:cool::P;)

I don't ever want to see another wonky D cup or a waving border unless its mine and I will have no one to yell at except me....

Sheryl,

I do have a salon in my home, have had for over 20 years, and it was that that I was referring to. Altho, most of my customers are very sweet, you always have those few that you want to choke the life out of. When my son was small, I did drop everything for work, and I did what I had to do, but now I do regret it. I feel like I gave up so much family time with him. altho, I never missed an event he was in. I planned around it, and if it meant I had to work til midnight, then I did.

It is a gentle reminder to me, not to be like that. I try to plan my life and as much as I hate living my life by a book, that is exactly what I do. AM so glad quilting can be for the fun of it now.

Happy holidays to all of you who are on someone else's deadline. Judy

Cheryl speaks the truth about this business, I have been in business since the fall of 2005 and it has been rough to say the least and a lot of stress, but I think I have figured out a balance that does work for me. I am established enough with a good size customer base (and yes business is booming again once the snow birds came back in spite of the ecconomy). Anyways once I got rid of custom from my business I felt the stress lifting and it also gave me a backbone to run the business the way I want it to be run.

For instance if I want to take off 3 weeks from quilting around Christmas I do...no ifs ands or buts. If a quilt comes in wonky..I have learned to really look the tops over when they are dropped off and tell the customers what problems may arise with them...etc..I am not in the business to fix their piecing problems so after they are made aware of the problems if they still want me to quilt it it is done as is and the results are what they are.

I won't work with 2 high contrasting threads (black for front and white for back) too much stress and I don't get paid enough for that nonsense.

I also stay away from quilts that have piping inset in them..done that and won't do it again.

Also I won't do T-shirt quilts that are pieced using that fusible grid garbage (the stuff that is so thick to begin with that when the seams of construction are added create too much bulk that it is impossible to get a good overall pattern stitched on them without having the pattern be distorted.

Yes I have learned to say NO and it feels good!!! No to custom, no to the big "D" cups and really bad wavy borders...no to I need it like yesterday, and no to them trying to negogiate a better price than what I already do offer which is already a pretty good compare to others in my area. :)

This is my last week of customer quilts than I am off until after to kids go back to school in January. :cool:

Oh I forgot to say the reasons why I love this business,

Because I make my own hours. I am not tied down to a 9-5 job and I can do this from the comforts of my own home. It gives me extra cash to do with as I want without having to discuss it with the DH as is done with the joint accounts which is where his paycheck goes into. It works for me.

I schedule "X" amount of quilts per week based on how my personal schedule is or how much extra cash I may need at the time. I try to keep my turn around time to 6-8 weeks and with out custom and not having another job this is doable.

Joann,

You have done a great job managing your business! I think that you have taken the bull by the horns and set limits to what you want and can do and that is awesome.

Cheryl

PS...

Apologies to Susan for making her ad for her machine a long discussion on the business aspect. I certainly don't discourage anyone from quilting as a business since we all handle things differently. It just wasn't the right choice for me in the long run, but the problems that I ran into are common among LAer's.

Archived