static buildup

This is a question more for a friend who has trouble with static when she is quilting. Hers is not an APQS machine. She has had problems with static so severe that it blows the mother board on her machine. Does anyone here have this problem? If so, what are possible remedies?

I have never had any problem with my Millie but am interested if it could arise later.

Sylvia from Canada

Static and circuit boards are definitely not the best of friends! Some type of humidifier is the best remedy - and it also helps keep those cotton threads from drying out and causing breakage problems! I have heard of customers having a crock pot full of water turned on low in their quilting room...anything to get moisture in the air!

I wonder what she has for flooring under her frame. If it is carpet this may be the source, Might be a good idea to have those rubber mats that help with cushioning your floor so you wouldn't give off static charges. I know in the cold temps that the heat causes alot of static, hopefully a rubber flooring may help. Just my 2 cents, for whatever it maybe worth. jp

Originally posted by dtreusch

I had a humidifer installed on my furnace to control static.

Debbi

Was this a difficult thing to do? Can you just call someone out to do it. I would love to have a humidifier that didn't require constant filling and cleaning. It is pretty dry here in NM and I have a pretty big house so just hearing about this has me excited, ha ha

Hi Roberta. I called Schall Ya'll here in Des Moines. It was much cheaper than I thought it was going to be and it makes a big difference in the house. I'm sure any heating and cooling business in your area would be able to answer your questions and install one for you.

The humidifier is on only when the furnace or air conditioning is running. I thought the water bill would be quite a bit higher, but it increased it by a very small amount.

Debbi

April Air is a good, on the furnace, humidifier. The installation is a bit complex. The are 2 rather large holes that have to be made in the side of the furnace, a drain line and a water supply line.

Purchase and installation, by a heating and cooling expert, would probably be a few hundred dollars. Hopefully under $500.

The nice thing about an April Air. There is a humidistat that is also on the furnace. You set it to the humidity level you desire. Easy.

The pad only has to be changed about once per year. Maybe twice if your water is really crappy.

Can't really think of anything bad about them except the cost is a bit high.

We had a humidifier installed on our new furnace two years ago and it really makes a difference! (I really understand about the dogs and hair.) I got tired of the dogs and DH shocking me everytime they got near. :P Also, whenever we use the woodstove we place a big pot of water on top to help with the humidity.

Thanks for the info kreacher. I will look into it. We do have really crappy water here, it is very hard so we would most likely have to change the pads twice, but we always check the air conditoner filters twice a year too so it won't make any extra work.

Barb - My dad was born in Canyon city and I still have family in the area. Do you know any of the Perkins? Just curious, it is such a small town.

Archived