Wholecloth Fabric

Gator

I'm going to take the Wild Women's class in March. One of the classes is Karen's wholecloth design. She said to bring a 60x60 white or off white fabric. I've never did a wholecloth quilt, what fabric do you recommend I purchase (muslin, sateen, kona cotton,other)? I was looking at Egyptian cotton but couldn't find it wide enough.

I just took that class last Saturday in Lewisville, TX. Actually the instructions say no larger than 60x60. I took a piece 40X40. You want a whole piece of cloth (not 2 pieces sewn together). I ordered some batiste online but you could use whatever you want. If you don't have her Wholecloth book, she will have it for sale at the class or you can order it on her website. It was a lot of fun.:P

Connie...when I took my class from Karen a couple of years ago, she said the same thing, so I just used a good good quality Muslin....I figured with that one I would learn if I even liked it or not. I didn't want to put a ton of money into Sateen or even Kona Cotton, and find out I didn't like it, or would never finish it.

And am now glad I did, as its still hanging on my wall, and the sun and my bright Halogen lights have been shining on it for over 3 years. I'm pretty sure that WHEN and IF I ever finish it, the blue marker will never come out, and its been burned into the fabric. But I will finish only to say I did and to see if I indeed do like it.

Connie,

You will love making a wholecloth! I purchased some Moda 200 ct cotton and it is beautiful! SandraG carries it in her shop and it is just beautiful stuff! It will give you a slight shadow if you put a strong color underneath but not as much color as a batiste would give you. I'm working on my wedding quilt right now and using the MOda I bought from Sandra and it is just wonderful!

Hi Connie,

Here's the official supply list that you should bring:

***Supply List for Wholecloth Trapunto Students***

All wholecloth workshops, wholecloth design class require a supply list of the following to bring to class:

4-8 Mark-B-Gone Blue Pens (not fine line, only blue water-soluble pens)

Fabric-white or off white, washed and pressed, No larger than 60-60

*(squaring up must be done before class) *

Omnigrid rules, long rulers of any size with ¼ inch markings.

Clover Eraser Pens and Mark-B-Gone may be purchased in class from the instructor. A favorite pair of trapunto trimming scissors, such as a sharp pointy pair of ginghers – not child scissors or appliqué scissors.

The wholecloth that Kelley showed completed on this forum a few weeks ago - was completed using a "quilt" shop quality 100% cotton fabric (white on white tonal print) - he did pre-wash and press the material before he went to class. To get the 60" by 60" size, we actually used the backing fabric for a quilt that is 108" by yardage. I've heard that cotton sateen works very well but I've had a difficult time finding this fabric locally.

Connie - if you want me to send you a sample of the material we used, just send me an email and I can send you a sample of this fabric. (no cost for the sample). We still have this fabric available for purchase - it's 108" and would cost $9.99 for two yards - 72" by 108".

Just let me know.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I can't wait for the class and visiting JoAnn in NC. March seems ages away, thank goodness the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Show is in Feb to keep me busy. JoAnn don't worry I'll finish paying for my classes before the quilt show.

I just did a whole cloth, using the Fusion fabric, used the 45 " width and added 6 inch borders, which I outlined so you couldn't see the seams...has some texture to it. It was very interesting to see how the wholecloth had an entirely different feel on the front with the fusion and the back with the muslin!

It was fun to do.

Connie -

lol - I have to pay for two of the classes myself:P but the Mid-Atlantic show is sounding so tempting....

...must not go.... must save money... awe...but the quilts are calling and I hear the vendors calling my name....

Well, the good news is, at least the voices in my head are helping me stimulate the economy! :P

I heard that the cheaper muslin helps to "poof out" the trapunto. So use the cheaper stuff so your trapunto is more poofy. ;)

I made a small wholecloth (35x35) earlier this year (it was my first one I've done and I used Sherry Rogers Harrison's Lancaster Star) and I chose a nice quality tone on tone fabric. And after all the work of trimming, my trapunto doesn't poof as much as I had hoped it would. Lesson learned from a newbie. Use the cheaper stuff.

Archived