George issues

smurkin1

I'm curious if any other new George owners have been victims of the APQS bait and switch? I love the machine, but am concerned that the information on the website is inaccurate (even though it was pointed out over three months ago), the manual does not match the machine in several places, and e-mail messages to both sales and service have gone unreturned since October (although they were answered promptly before I purchased the machine).

The dimensions of the George table are inaccurate on the website, even though they changed months ago and I personally discussed this with the service dept in Oct. The table was a very poor fit for the sewing machine head and I had to make significant alterations to make it work, including a trip to the hardware store. My call to the service dept was initially answered by someone who couldn't help at all. Someone else called back who was helpful and could explain why many of the changes had been made, but could not explain why the manual had not been updated to reflect the changes. The manual is a loose leaf binder, so only the ten or so updated pages would need to be changed.

Before I ordered, the George specs said that it came with "an industrial bobbin winder". On the Ordering Information tab it still has this information, but on the Features tab it now says "Sidewinder bobbin winder". This flimsy piece of equipment is useless if you have your thread on cones and is not very useful even if you have spools of thread. I couldn't even give mine away, so it is now contributing to the landfill.

If anyone else has faced these issues and gotten any kind of resolution please contact me at smurkin@triad.rr.com

Thanks,

Scott in NC

I'm sorry you are having such problems with your George. Mine is over a year or two old, so I don't know what issues you have found. When I called for tech assistance before Christmas, I had great response and interaction.

I received the turbo bobbin winder with mine. What a great asset. If possible you may want to pursue getting one. Mine felt stiff at first but has been easier the more I work with it.

I hope you find your answers and enjoy your George.

Hi Scott

I'm sure that there was no intention to deceive anyone, just a simple case of the site editor missing one of the sections of the website where the bobbin winder was mentioned. Both pages now state that the sidewinder is provided with George. Sometimes it takes a customer's careful eye for detail to spot these errors and I'm sure APQS were pleased to have this pointed out to them so that they could act quickly.

I'm not sure which issues you are asking other George owners to email you about, but could I suggest that the best way to make changes happen for yourself and the benefit of other owners is to call APQS to let them know how their products can be improved. They have always welcomed this input. If for some reason your emails go unanswered, ring the factory or contact APQS' National Manager, Heidi Kaisand (heidi@apqs.com) who is always quick to respond to emails and telephone calls and she has the power to make changes quickly, as happened with the mention of the bobbin winder.

Good luck with your George, hope you'll soon be making some beautiful quilts like Claudia and Pat.

Sue in Australia

Hi Sue,

I agree that deceit was not the intent. OTOH, I pointed out these discrepancies by telephone and e-mail over three months ago, and it wasn't changed until I learned about this forum and posted here. The table dimensions still remain inaccurate under the Features tab. Sloppiness may not be as big a sin as actively deceiving consumers, but it is not the corporate image that I would be going for.

HI Scott:

I'm so sorry that you have had these troubles with George and with apqs. The opposite has been my experience. I took delivery on my George last March. I never compared the measurements of my table with those on the website. I was a bit disappointed in the finish of my tabletop (edge of the formica) but I believe that issue is one of the reasons why they have since changed cabinetmakers. I received the turbo bobbin winder with George and don't use it. It was way too turbo for me. The bobbins fit on my Brother machine where I have much better speed control so I wind them at my own pace on the Brother.

I was an experienced machine quilter on a domestic machine when George came so I was surprised at what a tough learning curve I had with him. I made several calls to Amy in the service department for technical support and I exchanged emails with Dawn and Heidi. Everyone I dealt with was helpful, knowledgeable and professional. For me, it was really just a matter of time and the proverbial practice, practice, practice. George and I have become the very best of friends and last weekend I won a ribbon for Exemplary machine quilting by a non-professional at the Tucson Quilt Fiesta.

I sincerely hope that the folks at apqs are able to resolve your complaints soon. Nancy A. in Tucson

Hi Nancy,

Congratulations on your award! I've been able to complete several projects on George and now that I've got the table and machine matched to each other, discovered which threads work best for me and become an expert on adjusting bobbin tension I rarely have any trouble with the mechanics of the quilting process.

It's not so much that I actually need the table to be bigger or that I even need a turbo bobbin winder (I also just use a different sewing machine). But if you tell me that I'm getting a table of a certain size and with certain accessories, and then after I pay it is different than that, then there is going to be disappointment. To then receive no replies to my concerns just added to the frustration. I guess I should just let it go and enjoy my quilting, which was the whole point.

Thanks for your kind and concerned response. Is there some place online we can see pics of your prizewinning quilt?

Scott in NC

www.scottmurkin.com

Scott, I hope you work all the kinks out and APQS gets all of information changes made so it reflects accurately to what the customer gets. I think it takes a fresh set of eyes to catch some of these little "conflicting pieces of information" and your feedback catching the errors are greatly appreciated, I'm sure! Sometimes email gets lost or falls through the cracks. I prefer open and honest one-on-one conversations through the telephone. I find a real conversation with a real person on the phone usually resolves things quickly and is always best way to convey questions, feedback, thoughts, concerns, etc. So please take Sue's advice and give them a call on the phone. :)

Nancy, I wanna see your fabulous quilt, too. Congraulations, honey!!! :)

Hi Shana,

I guess I wasn't clear in my previous posts, but my progress with one-on-one telephone conversations has been exactly the same as with e-mail: nil.

When I finally got to talk to someone who knew what I was talking about, and I told him about the discrepancies between what I ordered and what I received, his response was: "Wow, that should have been changed six months ago". And three months later, it's just the same.

It seems that my experience is apparently the exception, so that's something good.

Scott in NC

Scott,

I can understand how you feel. I have a George and got what I paid for, so I am very thankful for that. But when you purchase something and assume you will get what you paid for, and then are disappointed when something different arrives. I think you have every right to be upset. I do hope that all is settled for you, and things get changed for others.

I bought my George in March 07, and a few months later, they announce the Lenni, I was disappointed that I had not been told about that before I bought, I might have gone that route instead--not that I am not happy with my George, because I am.

But I think, we live in a world now, that things like this happen far more than they should.

I sure hope things work out for you. Or for others by you bringing attention to this situation.

judy

Hi Scott,

In reading your message, I get the impression your concerns are not so much the machine, but the companies response to your email and phone calls---maybe I'm incorrect. But here is my suggestion:

I have found the best way to contact companies is not email or even phone calls, but to "write" a letter, send it registered mail. Send duplicate copies to whoever you need to contact within in the company. (not just one person)

You should phone and ask for names of these contacts, and their titles so that you can indeed send muliple USPS mails to each individual you want to make aware.

CC: names of each at the bottom of the correspondence so they are aware of who you contacted besides them.

I had one unsatisfactory experience with a long arm company several years back. (NOT APQS.) This is the way I totally resolved the issue with no excuses or lack of communication.

It (USPS) may seem a bit "old-fashioned" but it is still the best and legal way to document and make a legitimate contact with a company. Emails did not work, phone calls did not work either.

Write in detail your concerns and what resolutions you would like.

Registering the letter so that it has to be signed for is important as well.

Hope you have good results.

Hi Scott,

I've just returned tonight from teaching in Germany this week so I was unable to check the chat as much as I'd like. So, I hope we can get things straightened out with our communication process, both for you and for the literature we provide with and about APQS machines.

I accept responsibility for the inaccuracy in your George manual. I would be happy to send you a new one where the index matches the machine manual, along with updated information. Please send me an email with your mailing address to: dawn@apqs.com and I will send you one right away.

As the "manual writer" for APQS, I try to stay abreast of changes that occur in the product and update the manual editions as needed. Unfortunately, I messed up on one of the George revisions and forgot to "reformat" the index before the manual was printed, and that version got out to several owners before I caught the mistake. Now I have a HUGE sticky note right on my computer monitor reminding me to update the index of any manual before I press "SAVE" :). T

Thank you for bringing up some discrepancies that have been missed in my editing process. Please let me know if there are other areas that need our attention. Customer service is our top priority.

Thanks for your input!

Dawn,

Thanks for your last post. I appreciate you identifying where and how the problems happened. I hope your time in Germany was enjoyed. As the wife of a partner in a small partnership I know firsthand how unsettling it is to have problems brought to attention of everyone and the responsible party not always willing or able to come forward to admit or claim responsibility for their part. That takes a quality professional. Thanks for all you are doing. Have a good day.

Dawn,

Thank you so much for your help with this! I will contact you privately for the address for sending the updated manual. I have also been contacted by Amy in the service department who is helping to resolve the final remaining issue. I appreciate the good advice provided by all and look forward to more forum activity from George users.

Scott in NC

• 2 months later...

Dear Scott,

As the person who worked with APQS to develop the George machine, I just want to tell you how gratified I am to know that you, and other quilters of your caliber, who are highly concerned with the quality of their quilting, are using and are happy with the machine.

Everytime Judy, Nancy and other George owners talk about how much they love their George, I do a little "happy dance"...oh YES! :P

I'm glad your issues with the company have been taken care of. They are good people, all, but in trying to keep quilters with so many different needs and wants happy, sometimes their multiple projects get to be like putting two dozen hamsters in a basket---some keep getting away!

If I can ever help out, let me know.

Claudia Myers

I'll be interested to know how the issue about the bobbin winder gets resolved. It would seem that if that was the information available to you at the time of purchase, APQS would stick by it.

APQS is a great company, quick responses to questions and the updates to the machines keep getting better and better.

LOVE MY MILLIE

Claudia,

Quilters owe you a debt of gratitude for helping bring this great tool to the market. Your happy dance is well-earned!! George and I are still getting to know each other, but it's a great relationship that should keep getting better.

Scott

Archived