Machine height - what a difference

ramona-quilter

Hi Kerri,

PLEASE let APQS know about your concerns. They really DO listen to their customers, but if they don't hear from you, they don't know. They don't spend all day on the machines like some of us do, so aren't aware of some of the things that are important to us.

Honestly, moving the light bar back gives you a good 6" more visibility!

If your wrists bother you, do what I do. Cup the handles on the SIDES, instead of on the front. You may even find that you're more accurate with your freehand quilting. I have a problem with my wrists too.

If you do try out the "P" machine, try it at all speeds. One other gal was going to switch brands because of a very bad neck and the visibility issue. She was SO happy to keep her Millie after trying the "P", and all I did was have her move the light bar back behind the needle bar. Such a simple fix!

Hi Darlene,

Thanks so much for the tips. Moving the light would make a big difference and keeping the handles up and holding the sides would be good too.

I will give APQS a call and ask them about the few things I 'm concerned about.

Thanks again.:)

Kerri

Hi everyone,

I just want to add how wonderfull the hydrolic lift is,it's just fantastic I got it because I wanted it and my husband said "do you realy need it" and I use it every day in some way, I also got motorised fabric advance and wow how easy is it.

My Miss Lily is my second machine so I wanted all I could possibly get on her and I'm just blown away with her. APQS has a real winner with there system (apart from the locking system for the rollers) I have not regreted getting the extras they have saved my back and time.

My husband just installed my hydraulic lift...completed the job last night. Wow! I know I will be adjusting the table all the time. And it works quickly and smoothly. I haven't really stitched anything yet, but I stood at the back moving with the laser light on a panto and then at the front to see how comfortable it would be. My neck will thank me. I'll let you know how it goes once I actually turn the machine on and begin adjusting it up & down accordingly.

Don't the people at the factory read these posts? I know I see their names, so they must be aware of these problems we have been talking about. I know it won't be an overnight fix.

Would love to know if anyone knows of a quick fix for the Liberty as far as moving the light for better visibility. Like I said before...I feel like I have to lean over and peek to see what I'm doing at times.

I did raise my table as far as it would go, but haven't done much on the front since I've been mostly doing pantographs lately.

Hi Diane,

Yes, all of the people at APQS read the post and always listen to every suggestion and are striving to improve the machines. Some changes take research and deveolpemnt . It all takes time. Some things are just not cost effective for the consumer. Nor could some changes be made to machines that are already on the market. You should call the factory and talk to Connie or Mark about your issues and see if anything can be changed.

I know some have actually moved the light back behind where it is now. I think by attaching velcro and sitcking in on. Perhaps that may work for you. I know I personally would love to have a U shaped light around the bar that comes down. That would be awesome and a needle threader YAHOO. And I have shared my wants with the company.

Even with those I wants or would likes. I love my machine, as I know you do. I have had another brand and I know that my Millie is a workhorse and sooooooo dependable and user friendly. But as with anything I am a woman who wants it all :D Which by the way makes my DH cringe ;)

When my light is in the way of where I need to see. I just stop or slow down (S/R) and sneak a peek and move on. Or if I don't take a peek fast enough I can ripe it out really fast or it's my new design element.

Hope you move back to the front and learn to love free hand quilting.

Myrna

HI,

yes, I do own the one that starts with P..... I?ve taken a class working on APQS machines and felt the difference about visibility. No complains about the stitch quality or anything else.

Since I?m in Germany, we do have to take care of the maintenance and any other problem concerning the machine on our own. Fortunately my dear husband can manage this. I've learned a lot in this chat!! Thanks so much!

Annette

• 1 year later...
Originally posted by kerri

I'm looking into buying a longarm again....But due to my right wrist and visibility I'm seriously considering only one other brand (starts with a P), that comes close to APQS. The handle configuration is much better on my wrist and visibility is much better re: the hunch factor, for my upper spine....Just wanted to share that it is an important feature consideration.:)

I found this post about handle configuration while searching for the light retrofitting instructions. I really wish we had a different handle configuration option. The horizontal configuration puts a terrible strain on my right elbow (already had carpal tunnel release surgery). The vertical position handles would be so much less stressful. I have tried moving my handles up so I can hold them vertically, but the buttons are not accessible. I really wish I had researched more before I bought... or that APQS would offer an ergonomic handle configuration to those who want/need it. :) PLEEEEEEEASE!!!!

Cathey,

I came across your post while searching for solutions to lack of visibility on my Liberty. Would have loved the extra quilting space of the Milli, but I didn't even consider it because of the configuration of the handles. I also thought the smaller size of the Liberty would make it easier for me to manage (I have rheumatoid arthritis). I love absolutely everything else about my machine and table(I really love the table design). Several people have suggested using a drafting or saddle stool for better visibility. I have not had the chance to go purchase one yet, so I am hoping that will be the solution for me. In the mean time I quilt for short periods of time with lots of breaks inbetween. I hope you find a solution for your handle configuration.

Carol

Cathy & Carol,

I have RA also, close to 11 years now. I know what you mean about the importance of table height and the handles. One of the reasons I'm determined to get a Millie is because of the adjustable handles. I've tried them several times now, and being able to flip the handles up, down or level allows me to change the positions of my hands, wrists, elbows and even takes the strain off of my neck and shoulders. I liked flipping the handles up or down and holding them in the curve which matches the position of the handles on the Libety or Lennie. It also allows changes in the control of the machine depending on the pattern you are doing. Add the lift to it and there is another whole range of positions available, and even more relief for neck shoulders and back. Too long in any one position and I start swelling up and hurting but if I keep changing this I can go for hours! The with the saddle stool.....I'll be in quilting heaven! Cathy have you tried flipping the handles and holding them at the curve? And raising the table more should help your visability, did you figure out what Mark was talking about with the nut and the nine inch rod inside the leg?

Originally posted by kennan100

Cathy & Carol,

I have RA also, close to 11 years now. I know what you mean about the importance of table height and the handles. One of the reasons I'm determined to get a Millie is because of the adjustable handles. I've tried them several times now, and being able to flip the handles up, down or level allows me to change the positions of my hands, wrists, elbows and even takes the strain off of my neck and shoulders. I liked flipping the handles up or down and holding them in the curve which matches the position of the handles on the Libety or Lennie. It also allows changes in the control of the machine depending on the pattern you are doing. Add the lift to it and there is another whole range of positions available, and even more relief for neck shoulders and back. Too long in any one position and I start swelling up and hurting but if I keep changing this I can go for hours! The with the saddle stool.....I'll be in quilting heaven! Cathy have you tried flipping the handles and holding them at the curve? And raising the table more should help your visability, did you figure out what Mark was talking about with the nut and the nine inch rod inside the leg?

Kenna,

I feel your pain. (literally). I had RA as a child and it went into remission when I was a teenager. Came back 13 years ago. Gotta keep moving and take frequent breaks and I manage OK. Posture and positioning is so very important for me as you know. I have trouble with a horizontal grip like on Milli because it tends to make my elbows flare out which causes the shoulders to lift which hurts! No problem with the vertical handles on Liberty. It's so nice to have the options. I am very anxious to get that saddle stool to see if it helps with visibility. I hope you are able to get your Milli soon. Check out the motorized fabric advance. It is a god send for those of us with RA. I just love the way the APQS table is set up. It is so perfect for me.

Carol

Carol, how about the flipping the handles up so the curves are vertical and locking them into place there? No? I'm 5'10" so gotta have the lift, too. Don't know where I'd be without Methotrexate and Celebrex. I did the Remicade for about a year and it got me to the point that I was improved enough to get off of it. I've been off of it for 3 years now and able to maintain with just the other 2. I cut out all of the stressful things n my life, except my full time job with the insurance! :D Now I actually have goal which is something I haven't had in 10 years. So I'm working on getting my Millie, WOOHOO!!!!

Kenna,

I have a Liberty, so the handles are vertical. These work great for me. I know others with the Milli change the handles to suit themselves. Glad to hear you are doing well with your meds. I also take methotrexate, plus plaquinil. I was on Remicade , Enbrel, etc. but did not respond. Will try Orencia soon. I guess I'll keep my fingers crossed that it will do the trick. When you get your Milli you will love the motorized fabric advance. I don't have the lift as I don't feel the need for it right now. Maybe later. Happy quilting. Carol

I connected with Myrna today and she had some helpful suggestions.

1. Measure the distance between the rails at each cross tube and make sure they are exactly consistent. They weren't but are now. If they aren't exactly equal, the rails aren't parallel. Same with the cross tubes on the carriage. They were also slightly off. Adjusting these made a WORLD of difference! Millie moves much more smoothly. The bumpiness is nearly gone, not even noticeable really, so hopefully no more square circles. Wee!

2. The truss bolts were not adjusted equally but are now.

3. Leveling: I'm still struggling with this, but it's close enough that I can use the machine.

4. Thread cutter: I'm going to leave the thread cutter on for now. Removing it is not a priority.

5. Handles: I can order modified vertical handles for Millie. That is good to know. I'm thinking on that. I've tried the handles flipped up and the buttons aren't easily accessible. I tend to panic if I have to move my hands very far to reach the buttons. :D

6. Visibility: Myrna said she has her table set at chest level, so I can raise my table a lot more and improve visibility, so may not need to move the light.

7. Tension: I think Dawn covered that pretty well. I just need to get down there and try some of her suggestions. Tug of war is a great way to think about tension. That and using different bobbin cases should solve most tension issues.

I'm feeling very positive about my issues with Millie, and looking forward to meeting Myrna in September and getting some hands-on training. :)

Cathey

6. Visibility: Myrna said she has her table set at chest level, so I can raise my table a lot more and improve visibility, so may not need to move the light.

Is that table or rollers? Hmm. I think if I raised my rollers to almost chest high, Myrna could walk under them. Oops, was that a short joke? (that was for you , too Phyllis (annlittle). :P

I'm taller than Mary Beth, does the machine adjust up to amazon height? That would be a whole different set of muscles. Now my forearms are approx parallel to the floor.

Sure would be nice to be able to see what I'm quilting though. ;)

Linda,

Is that table or rollers? Hmm. I think if I raised my rollers to almost chest high, Myrna could walk under them. Oops, was that a short joke?

That was a good one...;)

Phyllis could barely reach my machine when she was here...I almost had to give her a step stool...if it was chest high, she would need a 12' ladder :D

Archived