QUICK SERVICE

Ordered 4 bobbin cases and 2 bobbin case springs. Service was wonderful Got them very quickly.

However, am wondering why they did not send them United States Postal Service. Shipping and handling was $14.71 for very small light package. Know there is a $5.00 charge on any order, so that makes shipping $9.71 for this little package. Excessive. Priority mail for a fairly large box is not that much.

And the Postal Service would have furnished the package to put these in. Have sent fairly large package from Ohio to California for less than this.

Marilyn

APQS uses UPS and it is stated on the order page.

"Order Parts

All items shipped will incur $5.00 handling fee plus shipping costs. All items will be shipped via UPS, unless the customer requests a different shipping carrier."

There are some dealers who sell parts as well and you can order from them and not have the "handling charge".

Thanks, Patty. I do appreciate that information. Will try a rep next time. Didn't know they also charged tax on the shipping and handling, which was explained to me when I called. Expected tax on the item, did not expect tax on shipping and handling. Thought the shipper would probably be responsible for the tax on his part of the service - even to charging me for it. My how wrong I was.

Marilyn

There are times when a business chooses a shipping company for their reliability rather than straight cost basis. A couple of lost claims sometimes far outweighs daily shipping cost. UPS also offers the ability to track shipments, sometimes a great feature. Then there is the time factor, In my part of the country, usps is not known for timely delivery. and no guidelines are given for the length of time it might take. I'm glad you got your package right away, for some each day without the delivery would be time and money lost for the business.

I've had so much better luck with the Post Office than anyone else. You can also track pkgs with the post office. With the budget cuts though some of their services have gotten slower. If you send a pkage with a signature required both UPS and FED Ex in some areas will write signed by porch on thier signature sheets and won't honor the insurance or anything no matter how far up in the company you try to reach. Won't send a quilt anyway but priority mail with a sig required. jeri

Well, I have learned a few things since I ordered these bobbin cases. 1. I need to request that they send these small items via United States Postal Service priority mail with a signed receipt. There would have been no tax on the shipping, it would have cost $5.00 less and I would have signed for it - not have the doorbell rung and on his way before he saw if anyone was home. Yup - my fault - and now I know what shipping to request.

Marillyn

It really burns me up the amount of S/H I have to pay when things come through the mail. I have had to pay Priority Mail cost for something that could have been mailed First Class postage for the price of 2 ounces (that's 59 cents, by the way; so many people don't know that only the first ounce is 42 cents, each additional ounce is only 17 cents). All because it is so much more convenient for the shipper to have UPS pick it up and the customer has to pay and so they don't give a @#$%.

I notice that eBay now requires the seller to state postage costs because there were always some in the past who gouged on shipping and you didn't know it until after you had won the auction.

Shipping cost is also based on size of package, and I have received two small items (erasable pens) that would easily have fit in a padded envelope and gone first class, but they came in a box the size of which would hold six yards of fabric. I wish there were some way we could boycott this high cost of shipping, but we seem to be held hostage. And today's news is that first class postage will go up 2 more cents in May.

I think people should have the choice of fast or slow delivery with a cheaper rate for slow. It's typical of the younger generation, "I want it all and I want it now." I seldom need something I ordered today to arrive tomorrow.

Now I'm done venting.

Postage is possibly going up again. However, the post office did not have the privilege of passing on fuel costs as other shipping companies have done. And other companies have made money legally adding on extra fuel costs. This was probably done so the govt. did not have to hear truckers complain about higher fuel costs. Of course, it did not protect the postal service or independent truckers; only large companies like UPS and Fed EX. The post office will pick up any package, check cheapest ways for you- all one has to do is ask. And I am guilty of not asking - but am getting better and hope to always remember to ask. Guess we need too be more educated consumers of evereything - including shipping costs.

The USPS is able to offer cheaper prices for small packages because it takes a loss on them. They subsidise the cost of this loss with the price you pay for first class mail. This quasy government /private corporation does not show a profit, and indeed several days ago asked for a multi-billion dollar bailout. They have a business model that might have worked decades ago, but doesn't work now and goes up against companies with no such government "support". FDX and UPS are companies that try hard to go up against government price setting, and stay in business. Look to the future to see if USPS even stick to delivering mail every day? You don't like the prices of FDX or UPS, will you like the billions spent bailing out the USPS?

The USPS has received "NO" money from the US govt. for over 40 years. It has been self-supporting until the gas boondoggle came along. Your tax money HAS NOT been used to support the United States Postal Service, which is a fact very few people seem to realize. However, the Govt. does dictate their terms of business. Now figure that one out!!!. But so far, none of your or my tax money has gone to support the Post Office for at least 40 years. Maybe even more.

Marilyn

I would be the first to agree the USPS needs to re-evaluate the way they do business. Maybe get rid of Sat. delivery. Maybe get rid of some of the layers of management. I feel there are many solutions and they need to do it. It is probably the only Govt. controlled organization that has received NO money from the US Govt. The Govt. let UPS and Fed Ex and all common carriers pass on fuel charges. The Post Office is not allowed to do that. Also, UPS and Fed EX are two of the first to lobby for higher postal rates. Isn"t that strange?

My father-in-law had a small trucking company. The Govt. de-regulated the trucking industry so they can charge whatever they want. However, they want the postal serice to keep their rates high so the trucking industry can charge higher rates. That is why package services and trucking companies lobby for higher rates for the Postal Service. And as said before trucking companies can add on fuel surcharge - post office cannot.

This forum is really making me do my homework.

This is a very timely topic. Today the local talk radio show was discussing the tentative cost-cutting plan of USPS to cut service to 5 days a week. They would drop Tuesday--the smallest volume day of the week. Locally as well is a thought to have school only four days a week with extended hours. I can't see second graders having the stamina for an 8 hour school day. I need a nap after working 6!!

Archived