just a quick question:

i was wondering how you quilt around the applique on quilts? What technique (besides practice :) ) do you use that works? I have Deloa's AppliGuide, but still not happy with the inconsist outline that i'm getting. Is it posible to obtain a 'perfect' stitch outline with no wobbles?

I'm taking my time using the guide and other various rulers/templates, using the extended base, and i have the machine in SR mode. I figured out that quilting the backgrond first helps 'stablilize' the applique and makes it easier to outline, but i just can't get a wobble free stitch line.

my long arming buddy says i'm being to hard on myself...

Shannon

Have your tried to quilt around the applique without the stitch regulator on. I found that when doing slow precise outline stitching that I had more control in manual mode. It does not seem to be quite so jerky. you just have to get the stitch speed and your hand movements timed right. Give that a try and see if it is any better. I was surprised myself how much better control I had in manual mode. Just a suggestion.

Shannon,

A tip from our Sherry Rogers Harrison she shared a while back: With SR on, turn up the speed (stitches per inch) to highest like 14 or15. This will cause your hopping foot to make tiny hops which is much easier to control with the ruler. I usually use her handy "dainty ditcher" and I might also use DeLoa's guide to help guide my foot around intricate spots like applique. Give that a try and see if it helps. :)

Shannon-

Your other Atlanta buddy says you are probably being to hard on yourself too!

But the Microdrive handles with the base is what I use and I get great results. I just did an Applique for a customer and it went pretty fast. I use a small stitch length with No wobbles.

Hang in there... I bet it looks fabulous!

Archived