Looking for your favorite quilt teachers

Hi all:

I am the programs co-chair for my large, local guild. We are about to start booking the teachers for 2011 and 2012 and I'm wondering...which national quilting teachers (not longarm teachers) have been your favorites and why. Thanks for helping with my research...your input will be very helpful. Nancy in Tucson

Bonnie Hunter of www.quiltville.com wonderful scrap quilting.

Mark Lipinski is available for lectures and workshops. He is coming to our Guild in 2010 to lecture and also be auctioneer at our big auction/10 year anniversary celebration.

The owners of Buggy Barn were great at our Guild two years ago--lots of great quilts/patterns in their trunk show.

Colleen Wise came and lectured on her Casting Shadows book/technique. Very nice lecture.

Judy Martin of Martingale Press had a great lecture/slide show of her quilting career.

You are wise to start looking now. Proposals are accepted two years out for popular speakers. Have fun with your search.

Those are some good ideas, thanks! Bonnie Hunter is already on our list and, as much as I love Bob, he won't work.

We need someone who can give a one hour lecture at the Guild meetings and then teach two one day workshops for 20 people each day. We need subjects or projects more diverse than Bob can deliver. Please keep those ideas coming, everyone. We have already booked Sharon Schamber, Laura Wasilowski, Therese May, Kim Diehl, Sue Nickels, Hollis Chatelain, Melinda Bula...we're so excited...don't you want to join our Guild? Nancy

Libby Lehman - One of the best instructors I've had. Lot's of fun and has many tricks and short cuts to share.

Babara Olson - Very creative and also very good about teaching how to work with color and value.

Susan Carlson - A doll. May not appeal to the masses, but will certainly to the more artsy type.

Pepper Cory - Good if you want to concentrate on marking quilts and review tools of the trade.

Absolute favorite ever, Marti Michell - she makes quilting so easy. She's the reason I'm the quilt obsessed woman I am today. I picked up a book on knitting and her Log Cabin Quilt in a Weekend and couldn't figure out the knitting. Now, look at me. :P I have a giant machine in my family room and a home based business! All Marti's fault.

She gives great classes too. I got to take a few w/her in Farmington NM when she came to teach for the guild there.

I would definately second Tracey Q's plug for Marti Mitchell. We just had her at our guild lst month for a lecture/trunkshow and she taught two classes one on Klaidescope and fat quarter log cabins. It was so much fun and her rulers make everything so perfect and easy. Not to mention how much fun and what a great teacher and person.

Another name--Rita Fishel, owns Creations Sew Clever in Chillicothe, OH...travels all over the world--great teacher...she's done a book on Mystery Quilts--she will amaze you with her ability to figure things out in the middle of a group of questions! She'd be a wonderful asset to your program! Jane

Archived