Facing a quilt - how do you do it??

I'm making this lap size quilt. I've heard - but not seen, that it can be faced and quilted. How could you do that? Could I quilt it normally--leaving 2" or so unquilted at the edge, then face with the same fabric, and turn that under by hand over the other backing...or??I don't really have any idea...I don't think you can "sandwich" it-sew it together and turn - and then quilt-I'd think there'd be a lot of opportunity for wrinkles? Has anyone done this?? Thanks! Jane

post--13461901290063_thumb.jpg

Do you want a knife edge finish rather than a binding? If that is what you mean, then you can quilt as normal,being sure to leave a half an inch or more unquilted at the edges. Then you trim away the batting, turn both the backing and the top in about the half inch and blind stitch the edges together.

Shana--If it were anything else, I would just sew a piece of fabric on this quilt--right sides together--1/4" from the edge and then turnit and press it--the edge would be finished perfectly, (ha) and would not require binding. The pattern calls for binding, but the picture doesn't look bound!

Phyllis:

Thanks so much for posting the link to the UTube video...I have faced quilts with straight edges in the past but would not have believed what can be done with irregular edges until I saw it with my own eyes. Terrific! Nancy in Tucson

Archived