Magic solution to a bounced check

I don't know if it is still possible to do this, but this worked for me once!

I was given a check for $200 and it bounced 2 or 3 times. A friend told me to go to the bank it was written on and find out how much less was in their bank account than the amount needed to cash the check. In this case, it was only $10.00. So I deposited $10.00 in that person's account, and then the bank cashed my check for $200.00 ! ! ! YES !

Now, times have changed, and I don't know if the teller will give you that information about the person's balance. You might have to talk to a supervisor and explain your situation - - anyhow it worked for me once! They must have been so surprised when their other checks started bouncing when the one gave me went through! They actually thought they had scammed me out of the money and I got $190.00 of it!

It was SO exciting.

When I had a check from a gal who's hubby was in the military, I was told to be at their bank on pay day, at the minute the bank opened and cash the check first thing. It worked and I got the full amount. she later asked how I did it and I refused to tell her. Why arm a theif with further tricks?

RitaR

You were so lucky to have been given that information, normally that would not be given to anyone. The bank teller must have known the customer was writing cheques without sufficient funds.

Seven years in a Bank and I have seen a lot of bad things done to good people and I still shake my head.

Maybe a good rule in these times is to insist on cash payments.

that's my 2 cents worth

I don't know if they will tell you how much is in the account my parents were out of the country and i went to take care of some banking for them and I am signed on one of their accounts and was not able to get any info on the account i needed to get taken care of so with the new privacey laws you might not be able to find anything out just FYI

dawn

I was the security manager of a Kmart and when I got bounced checks, I would call the bank and give them the account number and amount and asked if there were sufficient funds. If they said yes, I told them to put a hold on it and I went down and cashed it. If there wasn't, I would wait to call on Fridays, which is usually pay days.

Someone took a check I had written at a craft fair, and also stole another person's blank check. they wrote a check to me on the stolen check and went to my bank to deposit it in my account. Then they withdrew $5000.

Of course it raised a red flag. The bank covered it, but they never found the person who did the scam.

I've done check collections for about 30 years, and I, too, was an LP manager for Kmart many years ago. I still call the banks and verify funds and then go down and cash checks. With branch banking it's easier to do now since you can just go to the closest branch. I know in Texas a check can be deposited twice but you can then take it to the. Bank and present it in person and if the funds are there get it cashed. I do do the deposit twice just because I'm mean enough to want them to have to pay the NSF charges that their bank will hit them for and then just verify funds by phone until the money is there and go down and cash the check. I also follow through with certified mail notices and file charges as soon as the law allows.

In a smaller bank where they may know you personally as well as the person who wrote the check, they might do that...let you do the deposit and then withdraw, but in the larger banks I can guarantee that would never happen.

With the privacy acts/laws they wouldn't dare do it today. When I get a check I don't feel it going to clear, I just sit at the branch office till it does. I had one customer that would bounce every check I got from her, so it got that I would know when she got paid, accept the check and then on pay day I would make her bank my first stop of the day and then go to my bank and deposit it.

Archived