Monolon thread!

Hi All,

I just wanted to report that I took Linda Rech's suggestion on the monolon clear thread and I LOVE it! I'm working on my guilds raffle quilt which are 42 paper pieced stars (huge quilt 94 x 107!) and I've decided that the stars just need to be SID'd. I don't want to jinx myself but so far I've completed 11 stars and I haven't had one break. It is stitching beautifully and it has a lot less shine than monopoly. Some of the seams on the paper piecing are very thick and I was so worried that I would hit them and get breakage but so far (knocking on wood) it hasn't. My stitches are perfect and I didn't have a hard time getting the tension right. I'm using BL in the bobbin.

Thanks for the suggestion LINDA!

Gail - I ordered mine from columbia river and I got the cone! It is by Madeira. Here is the link: http://columbiariverquilting.com/madeira_monofil.html

Connie - no such thing as a stupid question! I'm using only on the top but I know others have used it top and bottom. I decided that I wanted the back to be all one thread. I really only had to loosen my tension and went through 1 hole in the pigtail instead of 3. I'm using SoFine on the quilt as well. So I had to loosen the tension almost 2 turns from the setting for SoFine. I'm really amazed because it isn't a thick thread at all but it is stitching beautifully!

Connie,

I have used it before but sparingly. I usually only use it on wall hangings. This is the first bed quilt I've used it on. I knew I wanted to do a lot of SID and the fabrics are all different colors. Some light, dark, medium and every color in the rainbow. No way I was changing threads for each of them! I've very pleased with the results and I like that this thread is very thin.

Hi, Coleen,

After our meeting last night I wanted to find out what this thread is composed of. It seems to be posted on a lot of beading sites. I found this description on the www.btoucan.com site:

Polyamid thread is an extremely strong, nylon-like thread with a beautiful gloss and good color brilliance. It is stronger than "natural silk" and more robust. Under tension it stretches by 25% but returns to its original dimensions when released. It is easy to make precision knots.

Alibaba.com states its a nylon thread:

Item: Nylon thread/Polyamide thread

Component: Polyamide synthetic fibre, popular name Nylon synthetic fibre.

Temperature for dyeing: normal temperature 105.

Specification: 210D/2,210D/3,280D/3,210D/4,420D/3,630D/3,840D/3,1050D/3,1260D/3.

Normal package: N.W/G.W: 120G/140G/CONE N.W/G.W: 225G/250G/CONE

Characteristic:

The advantage of polyamide is its good endurance and flexibility. When it is stretched its 103% to 106%, it will comeback 100%. This item has good endurance, good tenacity, mezzo flexibility, good sewing effect, small shrink rate.

Application: Super Sports shoes, Leather Shoes, bags, Super Leather Goods, sofas, Heavy stitching of Leather Goods, Mattress, Automobile Seats, Safety Belts, medical goods, Parachutes, Safety goods, etc

It definitely sounds like its a nylon thread. I would not use it on my quilting unless I get a different description.

Sandra, Does that mean that the Mederia thread is nylon and the Superior thread is polyester?

I have only used monopoly for making appliques. I haven't ever quilted with it simply because I have always looked at quilts with this thread to be wal-mart quilts. I know there is a difference but I haven't gotten there yet.

Sheryl,

I'm just starting to get over my issues with using the clear thread. I chose it for this quilt because there just wasn't a thread color that blended enough with all the different stars. There are 42 paper pieced stars and all have different batik fabrics. I really struggled with this. I decided that the stars needed to speak for themselves. They are all so beautiful and I didn't want to busy them up with my quilting. I'm so glad that I chose the clear thread because everytime I bobble I grumble but if it weren't clear I'd have a really big problem. Some of the seams are really bulky and it will push the hopping foot away. Not many but a few and it is so annoying! The background on these blocks is all black so any color thread really shows on that and black thread would really stand out on the stars. In the past I would only use the clear thread in a wall hanging. I will have to say that this thread is stitching so beautifully I'm getting over my fear of it. You also need to do the break test on the thread just like any thread. If it doesn't break easily enough you will risk it cutting the threads of the fabric but too thin and it will break. I'm comfortable that this will not ruin the quilt and that it is what the quilt needed.

MB,

It should say "Matte." I carry it in my store. If you can not find it on the website give Superior a call.

Sheryl,

I am saying that if the thread says "polyamide" it is nylon not poly. Superior's monopoly is poly.

Like Heidi, I used to have a fear of clear thread. I love monopoly clear and matte. I use them for different applications. I used the regular clear on a Christmas quilt b/c I wanted the design to shine but not as much as metallic. I use the matte for SID.

S

I emailed Superior Threads yesterday thinking I would not hear back until Monday some time... Bob emailed me some time last night. Here is the response....

Mary,

We have switched all our clear MonoPoly to matte-finish. We might still have a few spools of the original type (non-matte) so when you order, please specify you want the matte finish.

Bob

Has Madeira improved the quality....I use their clear threads, when it first came out WAY before Superior Threads were available and it would snap and snag, and over a few years break with washing and sun rays.... And heaven forbid you hit it with a hot iron.

Just wondering...will have to get a small cone to compare, always looking for the better mouse trap.;)

Bonnie,

I have to say that I have not tested long-term...lol unless you count one week on the frame! It is not brittle at all though. It is sewing beautifully. I've done 38 paperpieced stars and gone through some pretty bulky seams. I've had 1 break and it was in the last row! My tension seems to be perfect. I will say that I love monopoly as well, just didn't like the shine and wasn't aware that they had switched to a matt finish. I would have gotten that if I had known. I will have to do the melt test for sure. If I use it for some machine applique I'd have to make sure it doesn't melt! That would not be a good thing!

Archived