Vintage Singer 27 rescued--video p2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a flurry of antique--ing. I looked at your pictures Bonnie. What a stash! It sure would be fun to get together and look, and feel, and sew on these old machines. And to have one that really works!!:cool:

Some people would rather not use them, in case they wear out and not be able to fix them. Is that a valid reason?

Nope they never wear out and they are fixable....in some cases they are easier to get parts for than the more modern ones.

When I made PattyJo's quilt this past winter I didn't use a modern machine, I used my 301. Its sews as good or not better than the Janomes that I have. I actually get them all out during the years and use them...that is except the Treadle and the Model 15 that one is totally dead the treadle just needs the belt tightened and its ready to go....it sews very well.

Hi Bonnie,

No I think these are work horses and don't seem to wear out if they are taken care of...most of them I have seen are rusted and dirty because they have been stored in a garage, basement, etc, I think a night of sewing on old machines would be a fun idea! Although we may have to do it virtually???

Vicki

I like to hear that they are being used. DD has this idea that if she had a working treadle she would be set during power outages:P.

Do you use modern needles in them? Fancy that, a hundred year old machine that can take a modern needle?! Cool:cool:

I do use my 221 to piece when I go to the mountain. It sews a much straighter line than my old/new Pfaff. And it has 1/4 inch markings on the throat plate. It just isn't as fast, and when the iron and heater are plugged in, forget being in a hurry.

Bonnie,

I think you can use modern needles in these machines. I don't post messages very often to the Vintage Singers Yahoo group, because they are very picky about how you post and if you mess up, you get a chewing...ask me how I know ;) So I just go there and read...there is a weath of information...you can learn so much just by reading the posts, the files, etc on that site.

As a matter of fact, to keep the bad emails off the site, once you join, you are on a "trial" period. When you post a message it goes to the "site police" and they read it to see if if is worthy. After a time you are free to post as you please - but not until they determine you worthy. So I have been lurking and post a message here and there, for the past 2 years. Yesterday I posted a message, and it still goes to the moderators. It is a little more than frustrating. That is why I only read the information there. Too much trouble to post.

Go to that site and sign up, once you are approved, just read through the information, it is a good read.

Yes, BonnieR you can use the Schmetz needles in them, but you can also buy Singer needles at Walmart, Joann's, and even Hancock Fabrics. Its a yellow package and they aren't packaged like a Schmetz needle...they are just bubble wrapped onto a piece of plactic. I don't buy them....just have to many machines that need the Schmetz ones....

If your 221 isn't drawing enough power while the other things are also plugged in...either move the machine to another plug end or the iron. Irons can draw enough power to cause a brown out in some houses....

Get this...my Willcox and Gibbs stopped running. I was afraid the motor had gone kaput! However, I unplugged the machine from the foot pedal and plugged it in and ta-da...it worked. Sooo, my foot pedal is not working. I have been wanting to ask DH to fix it, but he is soooo extremely overworked right now and his nerves are tighter than a rubber band...I have opted to fix it myself. If I can rewire a lamp, I should be able to do this. So during breakfast I took it apart to see what the problem is. Ha! one of the wires going to a connection - that must be - oh - about 100 years old...the wires wore out or were twisted or something. The cord is probably from the 40's or 50's so not really 100 years old. Any who....I'm stopping at the hardware store on the way home and getting a new cord, then I can "wow" my DH with my unending knowledge of everything :D or I will completely ruin things and he will have to do twice as much to fix what I screw up ;)

Sorry, I did check one but it didn't have one. The other two machines are tucking away in a closet. There is a table in front of the closet door that my Willcox and Gibbs sits on...I say all of that, to say this...no :o It is a little harder to get to then the one that is tucked under a table...I will look tonight, and you are not hounding :)

Originally posted by Mary Beth

Okay....here is a question for you....what is the difference in a 301 and a 301a....I know there are longbeds and shortbeds....but what is the difference or why do they refer to one as 301a??:o

The 301 and 301a's have the same distance from the needle to the inside curve of the machine, but the flappy tray or extention bed is longer on the 301a's. Other than that, I can't see any difference...they both can have the zig-zag unit put on them and they both can have the buttonhole unit put onto them as well....

Joyce, your welcome...here is a picture of my 301 and I did some measuring... My research told me that the flappy part was the only difference....was that true now that you have one you can measure?

Also...when I bought this cabinet from EBAY, the lady told me that a 401 can also fit in this case....so do they look that much like a 301? That's my next wanta have a 401.

post--1346190142726_thumb.jpg

The 401s are not pretty. The 401A are preatier and are the hardest working pre computer multi stich machine out there. My 401A was purchased in 1954/ card table. It was called the Dress Maker. The card table was light enough to take to the job site for slip covers and drapes. My mom bought it to do custom work in rich peoples homes. She taught 6 daughters to sew on it and we are still using it today. We still use the card table that came with it to. I love my 401A and I pick them up when ever I can to sell to my customers. Like most of the all metal machines you can't beat them for sewing just about anything.

Bonnie,the base is the same as the 301.

Vicki,

I'm afraid I got your hopes up for nothing. I looked this morning, and no knee do-hicky. I'm sorry. Keep an eye out, you never know what you will find at thrift stores. I see these black head Singers for $20 or less all the time. You couldn't buy the part from E-Bay for that.

Mary Beth,

Oh well, thanks for looking anyway, I'll keep checking those thrift stores and watching ebay, etc....I think the hunt is pretty fun anyway...there are also lots of antique shops here in the "burg" although I haven't run across any machine parts yet...guess I'd better get back downstairs to quilting!

Thanks again!

Vicki

You people are obsessed! I am concerned at how infectious it is too... Are old Singer machines more difficult to find in the USA? I asked a shipper about rates out of sheer curiosity and if I had a "collection" of machines to ship by sea it could be viable idea... All I have to do is start collecting. Does it count if I collect them from junk shops and auctions on behalf of other people?!:P

Archived