Need Advice Before Starting A Quilt

gable428

I am about to start a full size all batik quilt using Superior Bottom Line thread on the top and bottom. What size needle should I use and any other tips you can offer would be appreciated. I have never done an all batik quilt before and have heard it can be a challenge. I just don't want to struggle through the whole thing:o Thank you!

My machine is a Gammill so I can only speak Gammillease. However, I will caution you: Don't make a mistake that you have to frog! My experience is that it leaves holes that are not easy to tease back together. Ask me how I know this.

There was a thread a while back about quilting batiks. Anyone remember?

I also have an all batik coming up, actually two of them. My machine runs best with a size 18 needle and I always use either Signature 40 or poly core. I just make sure the needle is a fresh new one, and adjust tension accordingly. I may even change needles in the middle just to make sure it's pointy enough.

Some of your APQS machines can run smaller needles with no problem. I know there are discussions about this.

Edit: I just noticed you have a Nolting. sorry

Good luck and please post a picture when it's done.

I did a King Size quilt that was all batiks including the backing.

I had to rip out a row and 1/2.:( Took me 8 hrs to rip.

I explained what happened to my sewing mechanic and this is what Greg told me.

Use a bigger needle. I used a size 20. I have a Nolting PRO also.

Use Sewers Aid or Silicone spray on the thread,needle and thread in the bobbin.

I used Sewers Aid.

one drop on 2 sides of the thread in the bobbin.

2 straight lines down the side of the spool of thread.

one drop on my finger and then coat the needle. I coated the needle after each row.

I had no trouble after that.

If you have a spray,spray the top and back.spray he thread and needle. The spray with not stain or damage the fabric.

Hope this helps

Hi Gable~

With my millenium I use a 4.0 needle. Occasionally I will have trouble with thread breakage.

The trick I use is to spray the top with Sullivans Silicone Spray. It is safe for fabrics, leaves no residue.

It helps the needle and thread glide through the layers. Batik is such a tight weave and has no "give" to it.

Most often I have no problem, but when I do......I trot out the Sullivan's!

I'm pretty sure I ordered it from Kingsmen online.

Bonnie

I quilted 2 batik quilts over in the last 6 months. The tops were not washed, but I did wash the backing batik fabric. I bought the wide backings at a quilt show, but I can't remember the company (they only do batiks and seem to be at lots of shows). Anyway, I used a 4.0 Singer needle on my Liberty and used So Fine in my bobbin and Rainbows on the top and had no problems at all. I did a feather meander (Suzanne Earley style). I didn't use any silicone lubricator and had only a couple breaks.

I hope you get lucky with your quilt, like I did.

I recently tried a 3.5 needle on my millie and it broke right away, so I went back to the 4.0 and it works fine, I found that if I make sure my fabric is not too tight it works better too. Like Shana said once, it should look like a mole is moving under it when you move your machine...(that advice was very helpful to me).

Vicki

I have done several quilts that had all batik top and an all batik bottom with no problems (without prewashing). But I do agree with Glenda (quiltingnanny) that pre-washing the batik helps to loosen the fibers and make it softer. I recently did my own personal quilt (all batik on top & bottom) I used Rainbows and Signature Pixels all over to quilt.I prewashed both top batik and the SewBatik bottom) and I had no troubles at all. I used a 4.0 needle. I did wash (block) the quilt afterward to get any frogging holes to disappear and make it look nice and fresh again. I am pleased with the end result.

When I'm doing batiks I like using the 3.5 for smaller hole. Some do have trouble with it breaking as mentioned. I love it personally. It doesn't seem to POP pop pop as badly. You know the sound you get with batiks. lol

I use 4.0 alot too but lately I'm likely the 3.5. lol

Hugs Grammie Tammie

Archived