Which Accessories & Supplies do you really need at time of purchase?

Threads lots and lots. Start with whatever you have on hand, when you run out buy more :)

I would also suggest cheap wadding and whatever quilt(ish) weight fabric you can buy. You will want and need to play before you tackle a real quilt. I used poly wadding and poly cotton curtain lining. It works (won't win any prizes) but it is cheap enough you don't stress about ruining it.

Other than that, wait until you've had a play. See what comes naturally to you and what you enjoy, then come back and we will happily help you spend all your money :)

Have fun

Ferret

Hi. Congrats! As far as accessories, skip the Circle lord and Hartley fence. You won't need those with the QS. you may want to look into the expanded base at some point, although you probably won't need it right away. Really, to get started, all you need is fabric (get a bolt of muslin, cheap), batting, and dig out some panels or cheater cloth, maybe some UFOs you have hanging around. Then PPP (practice, practice, and more practice). Your millie will probably come with some supplies, a couple pantos some thread to get started with.

Darlene Epp's books are a great asset too.

As soon as you can, get your business license and tax id number so that you can purchase your thread and other supplies wholesale.

When I purchased my milie, I also had CQ installed. That was almost three years ago, and I did not do any freehand until this last year. My point is that I think you are doing the right thing by waiting until you "get to know your machine" before adding QS. (Although, I must say I was able to take on customers right almost right away with the CQ)

Good luck!

I agree with Boni. I'm assuming that you have the big stuff taken care of. Big like electricity, lighting, climate control.

MR 4.0 needles. They come in 10-packs and it is cheaper to buy 100 but they will last a good long time.

At least 10 bobbins to start and an extra bobbin case, 2 if your machine will be on a concrete floor.

Extra bobbin springs that go inside the bobbin case.

And you might want to consider the Towa bobbin tension gauge. I think tension is the biggest issue when you first start.

Find some comfortable snips that cut thread but not fabric. Then get 3 of those for when you mislay the first.

Canned air or a compressor to blow out the bobbin area.

Good luck and congrats on your new machine. And welcome to the forum.

Even though I have a CQ I still use alot of my tools. You just want to do something without your system sometimes. I like to do my own quilts without it just to challenge myself and to keep my skills in place or should I say improve on them.

Hartley's can be found used for a good savings and until you get your QS you will need some Crosshatching tools and something to make perfect circles for your wreaths and such. It beats using Circle rulers I think. and I recommend the Itty Bitty which is great when going around applique and it fits perfectly in your hand. I love that tool. Also I love keeping ADDING TAPE paper for border math. No measuring for me. lolol

Also I love my Zipper system but have also seen the Velcro system leaders and they are great also as you have no pinning.

Don't forget extra bobbins unless you use prewound and Make sure you have an EXTRA screw that holds your NEEDLE in place. If you drop it you may NEVER find it again. Ask me how I know. lolol (I now always wait until something is loaded to change my needle lol)

I love the expanded base. YOU WILL NEED it so get one for RULER WORK.

You can never have enough thread. Never never. lolol

Best wishes to you.

Grammie Tammie

Get a set of spare parts - call Amy and she can tell you the most common parts that get replaced, like the pig tails.

DON'T get a lot of templates until you know what you're doing and what type of quilting you want to do - free hand, marking, etc.

DON'T get a lot of pantos, since you'll be getting QuiltStudio, but you may want to get a few very simple ones to give it a try.

Julia

As far as tools or gadgets that you will use with the machine, I would recommend going ahead with the expanded base and ruler set with the machine purchase. Nothing else in the way of gadgets to start. Some advance faster than others and are ready to jump in and practice some ruler work right away. Can't get there if you don't have the base.

Everyone else has given great advice. Dont forget the sometimes not so obvious, like pins for pinning to the leaders, extra bobbins, needles, tiny screw driver for adjusting the bobbin case tension and replacing the needles. Go to Walmart to the auto parts department and get a 5" mechanics magnetic bowl. They hold your pins and stick to the rollers while pinning.

I have a brief list that I send out to my machine customers that also has some online suppliers listed. Let me know if you would be interested in this list, you can email me.

Archived